Question for the ladies!
Oct 6, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #91 of 124
One big reason why young men and women alike aren't into "head-fi" is pretty simple when you think about it.

They tend to listen to badly recorded pop noise. The Loudness War rages on!

When I was in high school and listened to the radio and whatever played on it, cheap pack-in earphones were sufficient. As I matured, and started listening to more and more complex and nuanced music, branching out into genres I'd never even heard of... I found these afterthought headphones to be very lacking.

When you listen to music that sounds bad, you'll use headphones that sound bad. When you listen to music that sounds good, it's easy to tell the flaws in your equipment in the same ways it's easy for great equipment to show the flaws in your music.

@Gatto: I'm also a girl who is girly and has shoes and clothes spewed everywhere. But I, too, would rather spend money on a bit of tech, a video game, a new CD or a headphone than clothes, expensive makeup or shoes. It doesn't help that the current fashion trends are totally distasteful to me while all my female friends insist I am a fashion disaster.
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #94 of 124
no I hate them too, I usually go with open toe shoes

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #95 of 124
i bought my gf a sansa clip and denon ah-c551. She now really likes high-end audio. She wants me to help her convert her 128kbs mp3s into 320 because, "They sound better with my headphones."

I loved hearing that!

My hope is that one day, she will also bc a member of the site 100% dedicated to the discussion, review, comparison, and trading of headphones (I know, we like other things to, as can be seen by the prominence of various x-fi threads).

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #96 of 124
Actually - as long as you do a rounded pointy toe, that it is very comfortable and doesn't look ridiculous - very flattering to the leg. It's OK, I didn't really start to care about fashion at all until the last few years and it is really not very important. (My high school pics show a girl with aweful curly mess of hair with turtle necks). Just look kinda put together.

Why don't we talk why though?

I think a lot of it is contributed to influences. Girls are told to be concerned with certain things from a young age. Hi-fi is not one of them. Also, there are certain stigmas that go along with being into something that is not a gender norm. Like those guys who are nurses or flight attendants. Many times, it is seen as a bit "off" an dthey are generally less accepted. I am not saying that anyone here follows that pattern, but it could be a reason why many girls do not participate. They think that by doing so it would make them less accepted or valid.

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #97 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i bought my gf a sansa clip and denon ah-c551. She now really likes high-end audio. She wants me to help her convert her 128kbs mp3s into 320 because, "They sound better with my headphones."

epic_fail.jpg

Converting 128 kbs mp3's directly to 320 isn't gonna change anything. It would be ok to convert original material (from CD's or vinyl's) to 320 kbs. Otherwise there wouldn't be any qualitative gain.

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #99 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I loved hearing that!

My hope is that one day, she will also bc a member of the site 100% dedicated to the discussion, review, comparison, and trading of headphones (I know, we like other things to, as can be seen by the prominence of various x-fi threads).

Wait until your GF starts wanting you to buy a staxs rig and a vinyl rig...http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/do...o-much-369593/
and yeah, I hope your gf was talking about re-ripping your files in higher birate.

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #100 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no I hate them too, I usually go with open toe shoes

I just think they look obnoxious. And they hurt to wear. Round-toed heels are much nicer-looking, imo. And they don't turn my feet into balls of world-destroying agony.

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #101 of 124
It seems like some of the ladies are trying to make this thread about shoes ...

Anyways, there are plenty of tech-girls. They just don't nesesarily look very different than other girls. And if they do, they are probably hiding behind a computer, or in a basement playing d&d
wink_face.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #102 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just think they look obnoxious. And they hurt to wear. Round-toed heels are much nicer-looking, imo. And they don't turn my feet into balls of world-destroying agony.

I knew I was getting older when I finally refused to wear shoes that hurt my feet, regardless of how cute they look.

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #103 of 124
Athletic shoes can be cute and they are comfy.
biggrin.gif

If you were to glance in my closet, you would see maybe 6-7 pair of high heels, and the rest are various ballet flats, mary-janes, sandals, hiking shoes (most comfortable, seriously) and a pair of oil-resistant work boots (from when I worked in a kitchen).

And almost all of them are black, because they match more outfits, and I hate having anything that only looks good with one outfit. The few exceptions to that rule are two pair of shoes that match two dresses of mine for the rare occasion when I simply must dress formally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by torjeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like some of the ladies are trying to make this thread about shoes ...

Owned.

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #104 of 124
haha shoe thread in the middle of the full sized cans forum, didn't see this happening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back