Question about Triple.Fi 10 Build Quality
Nov 13, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

I can't say how useful they are owning UE though. I really have no clue what goals they have for the products. I think they just want to own/manufacture good products, either building their own or buying out someone.

What makes me nervous is that I don't know Logitech to have made, or developed, or assisted in the development of, a high-end audiophile-quality product like the TF10.

So if you're a potential or current UE customer--a TOTALLY different animal than a Logitech customer, note--it would make you nervous to hear them slash their warranty from two years to one, in the face of the industry standard. It would make you even more nervous to see crap that would have once come out under the Logitech label now coming out under the UE label. And you don't even need the rumor of build problems right now.

If the Logitech execs wanted to keep the UE brand pristine, they would go about facing their competitors: better builds, longer warranties, fewer products and absolutely no crappy products under the UE brand, ever. Reward your new UE customers for their brand loyalty, reward them with quality products. It's how they became your customers to begin with.

Instead, it seems like Logitech is going to milk this brand for all it's worth and once it's dry, quietly put it to pasture.

So long, Ultimate Ears. It's been fun, and we'll always have our Triple .fi 10.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #17 of 57
Again, the cable socket. Mine came loose one day (I wasn't using the hard case then; it is rather bulky), and I just stuffed it back in and put it in my pocket. By the time I got home, the wires had snapped off their solder points on the socket, and I had a UE cable attached to the connector, and some tiny bits of wire sticking out of my driver unit.

A vice, some solder, and a lot of tinning, thankfully, solved the problem. And super glue. I'm just glad UE colour codes the wires with varnish.

How I love thee, superglue.

I wanted to get TF10s as an upgrade, but I'm just leaning towards UM2. I'm not up to dealing with those damn cables.

Quote:

It's a relatively fragile plastic material (not a ton of flex), glued construction (can chemically break down with age), and people do complain of the copper wire in the wiring (to shape around the ear) breaking and eventually causing a short/damage in the wiring.

1) A little rigid, yes. Also retains its shape very well; mine's all coiled up from using the UE carrying case.
2) Glued? Not on the cable. The housing, yes.
3) Steel wire. Or maybe nickel plated copper? It was silver-coloured in any case. The broken cable I got with my UEs show a single piece steel wire along with tinned copper strand wire.

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #18 of 57
i would look at the IE8, i think that they are the most robust and best priced high end IEM, the UM3 is slightly better but around 20-30% more expencive,

in europe they go for under 200 euros, making them pretty good,

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #19 of 57
It's amazing how much cheaper the IE8/IE7s are in Europe (for many obvious reasons). I got a pair of IE8s a while back from Amazon.uk that were about $200 less than they are typically in the US.

I would have to say that they are fantastic IEMs. They just have a bit too much bass for me. Maybe more burn-in would have helped...

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any TF10 users WITHOUT cable problems?

I don't really have any cable problem with my 2 yrs old TF10.

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #22 of 57
Thanks...I think. I was really looking for, "I have no problems w/ my TF10."
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #24 of 57
Does this mean Shure has no cable problems or they do?
biggrin.gif
FWIW, I did not like my E2C or E3C's...at all.

I've a 3yr old Etymotic ER6i that Shure seemed flimsy when I got it, but they're as good as new. Bulletproof little suckers they've been.

Dec 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #25 of 57
I believe the housing construction is identical to the superfi 5.pros which also are known to have quality issues. My pair has been in for service 3 times for 3 separate issues. Unfortunately we lost the excellent UE customer service when going to logitech.

Dec 5, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this mean Shure has no cable problems or they do?
biggrin.gif
FWIW, I did not like my E2C or E3C's...at all.

I've a 3yr old Etymotic ER6i that Shure seemed flimsy when I got it, but they're as good as new. Bulletproof little suckers they've been.

Shure's cables are terrible. I've had (all) three pairs of phones from Shure develop a short at/near the 3.5mm connector. I will not buy another Shure product if it doesn't have a user replaceable cable, and even then...

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #28 of 57
+2

Shure e5 cable became awful after one year of use. Later it cracked in two places because os cold weather. Well, it's very bad compairing to Ety 4p cable. I used my friends TF10 for one month. And well, their cable llok like cheap crap. Though it works for 1 year.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #29 of 57
No issues here. My TF10s travel with me everywhere, averaging 100k+ miles a year, no problems at all after 3 years. I have one of the original series from the 2006 launch, and everything still works and looks like new. The same with my SFP5, same vintage, no mechanical or cosmetic issues whatsoever. Excellent quality on both IEMs, although I do not expect Logitech to continue with these types of high-end audiophile products, it doesn't seem to fit their strategy.

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnievidi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe it. The delivery guy didn't ring the bell and just left a missed delivery slip! I now have to wait until Monday to try the TF10s!!!

What a jerk! I hate it when men in brown screw things up like this. They misdelivered a popular video game to an address down the street, then got huffy when we called them and told them they had missed their delivery. Demanding that we prove it, we were able to shove it in their faces when the people down the block, recognizing the misdelivery, showed the integrity to return the item, which forced the brown-wagon mafia to show up late with our item. I happily chewed out the delivery guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back