question about Atrio X
Jul 21, 2011 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

rock&rollfrenchfries

100+ Head-Fier
from what i understand these are simply the old model atrios. correct?

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 19
awesome. i just ordered a set. they're 49.99 right now thru J&R (amazon). my pitt bull just chewed my old se420 set the other day. trusty and sturdy they were for many years. but i was never partial to the sound anyway. too mid centric. lots of detail but very fatiguing after more than half hour or so. and ive wanted to try the atrios for a few years now. so i figured i'd just forget about the new model and get the ones ive always wanted at a nicely slashed price.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 19
That's a very good plan.  I had the X's and the new M5s and I had trouble telling them apart (and I'm still a newbie for whatever that's worth)...so they still sound **** good at 1/3 the price.

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 19
Yep...most people would have trouble telling the difference between the MG5 and MG7 drivers. The older Atrio's are fantastic! David at FS also said the MG7 has slightly better upper range but he also said an "upgrade" from MG5 to MG7 is not really warranted.

Most people know the Atrio's for the bass and they are right! I have never experienced the depth and control combo of the Atrio's with any other IEMs. BUT, I also find they are great with female vocals, also strings and piano are just heaven!

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
...he also said an "upgrade" from MG5 to MG7 is not really warranted.

Can't agree with FS on this. To me, the new MG7 is well worth the upgrade.

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 19
I just scored the mobile version of the Atrio X for $36 shipped on eBay. 
basshead.gif
 I'll be going from memory but I'll soon find out how big a difference it is.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 19
Also just scored a pair of the atrio x with microphone from amazon for $49.99 (via j&r).  Not going to have time to immediately compare to my v1 and v2 atrio m5, but I will when I get a chance.  My understanding is that the atrio x actually uses the mg5 driver as opposed to the mg5pro, which would make the old atrio one generation ahead of the atrio x.  I could be wrong though.  I'll do a comparison the first or second week of August...(have a bar exam to get through in the meantime)

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Also just scored a pair of the atrio x with microphone from amazon for $49.99 (via j&r).  Not going to have time to immediately compare to my v1 and v2 atrio m5, but I will when I get a chance.  My understanding is that the atrio x actually uses the mg5 driver as opposed to the mg5pro, which would make the old atrio one generation ahead of the atrio x.  I could be wrong though.  I'll do a comparison the first or second week of August...(have a bar exam to get through in the meantime)

You are correct. The FS1 and the Atrio X use the MG5 driver and the Atrio v1 and v2 use MG5pro. FS told me the difference was basically the bass had tightened up just a tad and would be more applicable to Jazz and related genre musicians, otherwise, not much different at all.

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 19
Received my mobile X's yesterday.  Wow that mobile microphone/controller is much bigger than it needs to be!  However it works great.  One click to pause and play and two clicks to skip to the next song.

Initial impressions are similar to what I thought when I first got the mg7 atrios: pretty balanced and not a lot of sub bass at first.  The mg7's took a bit of running in for the great sub bass to appear, so I'm hoping these will improve with a few hours.  If they do, they will be a virtual steal of a bargain. As is they still sound pretty darn good though.

Since my wife likes using the stock ibuds b/c of phone functionality, I think these will be a great gift for her.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 19
i love them. just got them today. listening to them fresh. i can already tell that they're much less fatiguing for longer listens sound signature wise. they're backed off a bit on the midrange and maybe upper mids from the B/A shures. but then the higher trebles come back in strong but not overbearing. the bass doesn't drown them out by any means. powerful and well defined as it is. these are exactly the sound im looking for with my metal, hip hop and techno and stuff.

also my shures needed amped from my portable to get some zazz out of them... zazz them up a bit. so i tried the caffeine ultra from penguinamp. it did the job nicely but i still found them to be a tad strong throughout the midrange. and coulld never EQ them to sound quite to my taste.

the atrio xs need no amp. i havent even tried my amp yet. just my computer and my older sansa e260 rockbox with all flac music.

they sound very very very much how i wanted them to. i just heard a hint of sibilance but i think it was from the recording. which is of course absolutely fine.

the 50 dollar tradeoff is that the cable looks maybe a tad flimsy. i have accidently caught the cable of my shures off of stuff a bunch of stuff and ripped them out of my ear many times by the cable accidentally. the older se420 were sturdy bastadrs for me (right up until they failed the pit bull test).. i have a feeling these ones don't have as much of a tug life. and dont stand even half a chance to the pit bull test. but hopefully i get a couple years out of them if im careful.

overall a nice deal for the sound. i am happy. they fit right. the bass is bangin. the rest of the sound is where i want it to be.

oh man... i just plugged in the amp....they sound friggin awesome. they're holding up to it so far. perhaps the bass is a bit over the top like this. but it's cool. awesome clean deep bass and non fatiguing full range U type sound.

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #14 of 19
ok one more complaint... i was able to salvage the medium rubbers from my shures. they fit the atrios perfectly. and the atrios are much more comfortable with them.

these need to be packaged with REGULAR rubber earpieces... all they have is 3 sizes of stupid dual flanges, and 3 sizes of foam.

they need REGULAR RUBBER EARPIECES instead of stupid uncomfortable double flanges.

Jul 31, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
ok one more complaint... i was able to salvage the medium rubbers from my shures. they fit the atrios perfectly. and the atrios are much more comfortable with them.

these need to be packaged with REGULAR rubber earpieces... all they have is 3 sizes of stupid dual flanges, and 3 sizes of foam.

they need REGULAR RUBBER EARPIECES instead of stupid uncomfortable double flanges.

Yeah, same with the mg7 Atrios too.  I hated the stock tips.  When I had the mg7's I ended up using the old Shure e2c tips with the core from those barrel foams as an adapter.  Also the Earsonics biflanges work well.  They are a better biflange than the Future Sonics versions.  I found that tips with larger sound holes allowed for better treble details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back