Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Nov 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #511 of 883

Haven't heard it, but the Woo GES seems to be the more well-regarded design by people who know far more about amps than me.

Also, not sure if you've already searched around, but there are a few multi-amp reviews out there.  Tyll's review is here:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/listening-great-headphone-amplifiers-and-stax-sr-900

AVguide also did a few reviews, although they aren't highly-regarded:

http://www.avguide.com/review/woo-audio-wes-electrostatic-amplifier-playback-54
http://www.avguide.com/review/cavali-audio-liquid-lightning-electrostatic-headphone-amplifier-playback-60
http://www.avguide.com/review/headamp-blue-hawaii-se-electrostatic-headphone-amplifier-playback-56

I knew the first reference (innerfidelity) for avguide I just read it and I found it very serious and honest, guess I will decide for BHSE. Thank you very much for your information

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #512 of 883
I'd like to say that when I ordered the BHSE ( March 2011 ) I still had the SR-007mk1's, so the BHSE was originally for those headphones, however because I was so disappointed with how those 007's sounded driven by the SRM-007t , I got rid of them both at the same time. I then panic bought the 009's at the back end of December 2011 after hearing about Stax being sold to a Chinese company, but I didn't receive the BHSE until June 2012, so I obviously didn't get to hear the 009's with the BHSE until then. I also didn't get to hear the 007'mk1's ( head-fier IanG's headphones ) with the BHSE until around July 2012.
The point I'm getting at is, in hindsight I'd have never got the 009's, and never have let the SR-007mk1's go, however, the time I had the 007mk1 / SRM-007t, the source I had was the Esoteric x03se not the K-01.

So why not sell the SR-009 and replace them with the SR-007?

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #513 of 883
Using a lowly BuffaloIIISE DAC and getting excellent results from a BHSE and SR-009s, not at all bright or fatiguing.
No regrets at all letting my SR-007MK1s go, I had the opportunity to compare the 009 and 007 together, there's wasn't a recording were I preferred the 007, across a wide range of genre.

There's a generally theme around here that the BHSE and SR007MK1s are the bees knees pairing, and to be fair the BHSE is the only amp I've heard that does the SR007MK1 justice. That said I prefer the 009 and BHSE by a fairly wide margin.

Seems I got lucky with my source pairing, I actually thought the BuffaloIIISE was going to be hyper detailed and not as musically organic as anticipated, but it has surprised me somewhat.

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #514 of 883
Using a lowly BuffaloIIISE DAC and getting excellent results from a BHSE and SR-009s, not at all bright or fatiguing.
No regrets at all letting my SR-007MK1s go, I had the opportunity to compare the 009 and 007 together, there's wasn't a recording were I preferred the 007, across a wide range of genre.

There's a generally theme around here that the BHSE and SR007MK1s are the bees knees pairing, and to be fair the BHSE is the only amp I've heard that does the SR007MK1 justice. That said I prefer the 009 and BHSE by a fairly wide margin.

Seems I got lucky with my source pairing, I actually thought the BuffaloIIISE was going to be hyper detailed and not as musically organic as anticipated, but it has surprised me somewhat.

beerchug.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #515 of 883
Thank you for your tips. I don't have the possibility of hearing amplifiers since I live in Canary Islands (Spain), this is why I ask you opinion in this forum because of all those that I have visited this seems to me the more professional.

I have heard that the bhse is a great amplifier but that there is a waiting list very long and they can take months or years to get it.  building an amplifier here in the village, is not a very good idea, we know a lot about bananas but not too much in electronics :wink:

My first choice of Woo Audio WES is due to articles that I have read and above all: the brand managers have seemed to me very serious. in your opinion: what are the reasons that you have not to choose it?

for now my options are as follows:

BHSE seems to be the best choice but it has a lengthy waiting list, and a long time waiting to get it. Do you think that is worth?

Woo Audio WES: I like his seriousness, but don't know their defects.

Cavalli: I do not know virtues or defects, an advantage: solid state with which decreases the risk of breakage of lamps..

Kkevin Gilmore: I do not know virtues or defects.

Dear folks, I ask you a little patience with me but you are the only ones that  can guide me on a very important purchase. Taking into account where I live, and the options named above what would be your opinion once more? And what are the reasons for not choosing WES de Woo Audio? Thanks a lot for your so important helping opinion

If you spend some time to search the related threads you will find some opinions expressed about the strength and weakness of each amplifier and also comparisons between them. The search function is very easy to use.....

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #516 of 883
So why not sell the SR-009 and replace them with the SR-007?

I'm not unhappy with the 009's, in fact some songs sound a lot better with those headphones driven by the BHSE, than with the 007's, mk1 version that is, I've never heard the mk2.
Because of that I'd never get rid of them, also with the new headband I sorted out and put on, I think my 009's are very nice looking headphones, second only to the HE-90's, but that's only what I feel.
Anyway, I won't say anymore negative things about the 009's.

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #517 of 883
Anyway, I won't say anymore negative things about the 009's.

Why not? You have every right to your opinion, if we all agreed it would be pretty boring.

I wouldn’t be too quick to shot the messenger so to speak. For instance in my case I had a set of used tubes that did not sound good with the 009s, bought from ebay, I assume they were past their usable life expectancy, they made for a very brittle and fatiguing sound. I’m using regular JJs right now, and they’re very nice.

It may take a bit of leg work to find what works for you, but I do think the BHSE and 009’s are an awesome pairing, by the way I consider myself pretty sensitive to brightness, tis why I gave trying the HD800s.

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #518 of 883
Most of the songs I listen to and all of the Pink Floyd's I have do sound pretty amazing from the 009 / BHSE, it's just the odd song which is also probably down to how they were recorded.
Head-fi would be a bit boring if we all agreed on everything, but I wouldn't want to be the cause of someone not buying something, simply because of something negative I wrote.

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #519 of 883
Quote:David1961
 it's just the odd song which is also probably down to how they were recorded.

The biggest problem I see is people blaming the transducer fot the recording's fault.

Hi-Fi, by definition, is faithful reproduction of the material fed into it.

If the other equipment in the chain is inferior, and the material fed int the chain is rubbish, you can't blame the transducer for sounding like rubbish.

i.e.
Sublime sounds sublime,
Great sounds great,
Good sounds good,
Average sounds average,
Bad sounds bad, and,
Rotten sounds rotten.

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #520 of 883
David, we can keep playing the source vs. headphone argument all day long without resolving anything but if I may recommend: don't hesitate to sample other players in the same price range as the k01 before you decide to get rid of the 009.

I say this from recent personal experience with such a source: TotalDAC D1 ( there's a silver version BTW :wink: ). It brought so much more to my rig than swapping from my 727 amp to higher end model (which shall remain unnamed but suffice to say, it's considered as high caliber stat amp by some).

So today, when considering the priorities in terms of gear upstream of the 009, I will confidently say you're better off spending 10k on the source (not all 10kusd sources are great mind you) and 2k on the amp than the other way around.

I forgot to mention arnaud regarding DAC's.
The first time I enquired about Stax was from someone called Howard Popeck in 1999, I believe he owned and ran something called SimplyStax.
Anyway I ended up getting the SR-007mk1's and SRM -007t in 2000, ( not from Howard ) but because I wasn't that impressed with that combo, I got in touch with Howard ( who might I add was and will still be a very nice and helpful person ) and told him I was disappointed with the SQ I was getting from that Stax combo and asked if he could recommend anything, he asked me what source I was using, ( at that time I had a Musical Fidelity CD player, but I can't remember the model ) and after telling him that source he mentioned something about a Stax DAC.
I also can't remember what the Stax DAC was called, but with you mentioning about the TotalDAC D1 arnaud, it made me recall about my conversation with Howard.
So I've been on the Stax website and looked at the history section and came across a DAC called the X1T, and I think that was the DAC Howard suggested to me, but I can't say for sure ( my memory isn't like it used to be Ha Ha ! ) I remember it not being cheap though.
On the Stax website there's a photo of that DAC, and it looks to be built very similar to Esoteric 's
I'm not sure why I'm telling you this because even if the X1T was still available, ( which I don't think they are ) I wouldn't have the money to buy one, I guess I'm just interested to know from someone that's heard the Stax X1t what it's like. I've read they were and still are very good but it's nice to know from someone else.

P.S. Because I didn't want to take Howard's advice for granted, I bought from Howard the RCA interconnects I'm using with my BHSE.

I also hope Howard is doing well.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #521 of 883
Sorry, but it must have been 1998 when I spoke with Howard, not 1999. I say that because I've seen that Howard finished with SimplyStax in 1998. That's also the reason why I didn't get the SR-007mk1 and SRM-007t from him in 2000, because obviously I couldn't.
I think the last time I spoke with Howard was around 2004. I enjoyed talking with Howard because he was very helpful and I knew I was under no obligation to get anything from him.
I know this post is nothing to do with any audio equipment, but I just wanted to mention something about Howard Popeck.

This post will probably be removed, but that's life.

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #522 of 883
If you spend some time to search the related threads you will find some opinions expressed about the strength and weakness of each amplifier and also comparisons between them. The search function is very easy to use.....

You're absolutely right.  it is so simple to look for threads… it was the first thing I did a few years ago to buy my first "baby" stax (in ear stax), did the same for my Shure SE535, for my AH5000, my RS1i, my Stax 4040 signature system, my black cube linear, etc. And at that time it help me a lot  find all necessary threads and read the opinion of people more expert than me. Right now, after having read many opinions, I have decided to ask to fellow forum.
Macedonian Hero simply said: “Seriously, I'd recommend the BHSE or KGSSHV (if you can find a reputable builder)”…   and in that moment, I’ve decided my choice. Have you seen his curriculum? (thanks Macedonian). The opinion of the other folks also been rewarding, thank you all for helping me to know more today than yesterday and to better enjoy what life gives us.
Tigata3mata, your resume is impressive too. And your advice is correct, but also very very basic, anyway I thank you for it.
PD: I finally decided take contact with Mr. Justin to get information to put his machine in the Canaries.  I hope to share opinions with you in a few months (not years, I hope).

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #524 of 883
  You're absolutely right.  it is so simple to look for threads… it was the first thing I did a few years ago to buy my first "baby" stax (in ear stax), did the same for my Shure SE535, for my AH5000, my RS1i, my Stax 4040 signature system, my black cube linear, etc. And at that time it help me a lot  find all necessary threads and read the opinion of people more expert than me. Right now, after having read many opinions, I have decided to ask to fellow forum.
Macedonian Hero simply said: “Seriously, I'd recommend the BHSE or KGSSHV (if you can find a reputable builder)”…   and in that moment, I’ve decided my choice. Have you seen his curriculum? (thanks Macedonian). The opinion of the other folks also been rewarding, thank you all for helping me to know more today than yesterday and to better enjoy what life gives us.
Tigata3mata, your resume is impressive too. And your advice is correct, but also very very basic, anyway I thank you for it.
PD: I finally decided take contact with Mr. Justin to get information to put his machine in the Canaries.  I hope to share opinions with you in a few months (not years, I hope).

Hey congrats! I think you're definitely making the right decision. 
beerchug.gif

For the DAC discussion going on here, I've found the SR-009s very picky of DACs...more so than any other headphone I've owned.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #525 of 883
  Hey congrats! I think you're definitely making the right decision. 
beerchug.gif

For the DAC discussion going on here, I've found the SR-009s very picky of DACs...more so than any other headphone I've owned.

Thanks for your advice. I chose the Alps RK50 potentiometer, do you think is that okay? My DAC is  Audiolab 8200CD,  what do you think of this? thank you very much again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back