question about ad700
Sep 9, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #31 of 61
I've never tried either of those, but the sound card alone would be an upgrade from onboard sound. 

Now if it were me I would save the money for the e5 and put that toward an even better sound card.  Auzetech and HT Omega make some really great soundcards.  I don't have experience with ASUS soundcards.  Someone else might.  

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #32 of 61

Quote:
how much better would these make my hd555 sound?

FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Sound Card

almost 100 dollars paired together.  how much clarity/bass would i get outta both of those?  would it be worth 100 dollars?  i think my hd555 are worth 100 dollars, so take that information and let me know.

I had the fiiO E5 for a while and it worked pretty well with my portable player. It has the bass boost function, making you feel that there is more fullness in the sound. Whenever I compared the sound with and without the E5, I'm convinced that my portable's sound "opens" up. It pairs up pretty good with portables but I wouldn't recommend using for your pc soundcard. Even though i mentioned that it added bass and fullness, I didn't feel that the sound got anymore refined.

I haven't personally listened to the Asus Xonar, but i've heard many good things about it. If all the reviews I've read are accurate, then I think the E5 will degrade your sound, like a kink in the hose. just my $0.02

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #33 of 61
Xonar STX owner here and I love it........"BUT!"

Better things come about by getting things off the computer and onto separates.

STX > Headphones + custom headphone cables = good to really good.

Line out to DAC/Amp combo = better.

STX line out to top tier headphone amp = better still.

Now the question dwells around what DAC to what Amp to what headphone/cable combo to who's ears.

There's only one sure answer to the above question, lots of guilt free money.

ph34r.gif

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #34 of 61
amp2xpand,

alright I went for a dive and the estimate date of arrival is in 2 days and hopefully they'll come in tomorrow (most likely not).  I'm not too concern about the bass lack b/c my purpose of getting them is to compliment the M50s.  If I need bass, the M50 will be my source. I'm more worried about other things like the wing fit, the size, and purple color...lol.  I'm not overly concern about it though, just wish it could be a little less of "look at me" type of headphones. I don't really care for flashy headphones.  I'm just eager about the whole idea of an open cans since I never had the chance to listen to any.  I wanted to experience sound stage, and what better headphone to experiment then the ad700.

I'm not sure if you can answer this or not (or if anyone would like to share) do you know if an amp is really necessary for these? Like do they really improve the sound quality or is it more of a volume boost sort of speak.  I keep hearing from this forum every once in a while about how it helps, but I it doesn't make sense since these are supposely easy to drive. Keep in mind that I am not really experience and are just discussing to gain knowledge about equipment and an equipment I'm about to get.

Oh, one more thing. I hate the fact that there isn't many headphone carrier around, and ordering is the way to go to find them. I hate waiting.
frown.gif
I'm excited, but yet kinda nervous. These things from pictures look like headphones for spacecraft pilots. again, "who cares right? We're doing this for the sound" hopefully I can stick with that. hehe never wore anything purple before.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #35 of 61
I really don't find the AD700's to be that obnoxious looking in person.  Although I would never wear these or any circumaural can in public.  Sitting in my chair at home where no one can see these monsters is great.  The family laughs at me, but whatever. 

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #36 of 61
yeah that is what I notice. If your into audio, the headphones aren't that bad looking, but for people who has no care they just look plain silly to them. The xb700, I never heard the end of it from friends, family, so on. I don't think the xb700 looks bad either, just big on the ear cushion part.  I don't know, but purple for any electronics in general is out of the normal for sure.

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #37 of 61

Quote:
amp2xpand,

alright I went for a dive and the estimate date of arrival is in 2 days and hopefully they'll come in tomorrow (most likely not).  I'm not too concern about the bass lack b/c my purpose of getting them is to compliment the M50s.  If I need bass, the M50 will be my source. I'm more worried about other things like the wing fit, the size, and purple color...lol.  I'm not overly concern about it though, just wish it could be a little less of "look at me" type of headphones. I don't really care for flashy headphones.  I'm just eager about the whole idea of an open cans since I never had the chance to listen to any.  I wanted to experience sound stage, and what better headphone to experiment then the ad700.

I'm not sure if you can answer this or not (or if anyone would like to share) do you know if an amp is really necessary for these? Like do they really improve the sound quality or is it more of a volume boost sort of speak.  I keep hearing from this forum every once in a while about how it helps, but I it doesn't make sense since these are supposely easy to drive. Keep in mind that I am not really experience and are just discussing to gain knowledge about equipment and an equipment I'm about to get.

Oh, one more thing. I hate the fact that there isn't many headphone carrier around, and ordering is the way to go to find them. I hate waiting.
frown.gif
I'm excited, but yet kinda nervous. These things from pictures look like headphones for spacecraft pilots. again, "who cares right? We're doing this for the sound" hopefully I can stick with that. hehe never wore anything purple before.

I'm glad that you're stoked about getting the ad700s. these would definitely compliment bassy closed cans. I think the ad700s looked awesome too me, and they fit really good. i can wear them for hours at a time and not feel any discomfort. But though i mentioned that i thought they looked awesome.... i  haven't worn these in public yet... it looks cool when its in my hands but probably different when its on my head, lol. The wings on these headphones are super comfortable, but the only gripe i have about the wings is that it messes up my hair more than bands (personal preference). 

Using an amp on any headphone is beneficial. but it's just the degree of improvement that is given. with the ad700, i dont think an amp is mandatory. i can enjoy my ad700 from a portable source just fine. but when hooked up to a tube amp, i did find that there was an improvement, but i can live with my ad700 without an amp. Some headphones need an amp, but the ad700 dont. But buying an amp now is not going to be a waste though, because all headphones improve at least slightly with an amp, your amp can be used with all your other cans (and future cans). 

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #38 of 61
yeah headphones aren't good for hair. 

Hey can you explain a little bit more about amps, like would an E5 be sufficient or would I need to get a more expensive amp?  what is the benefit of getting a more expensive amp?  I'm probable not in the market right away for an amp yet, I chose this headphone to avoid lugging around an amp, but maybe after a while I might jump into one.  Is there a recommended amp you have in mind that would not break the bank, but a sufficient amp for casual listening? I've been considering the E5 for now and probable wait to gain more knowledge for the more expensive one.  I'm just not sure if the E5 is good enough to invest in until I feel comfortable to put some cash for better one. I guess I'm also waiting for myself to have gain better headphones first that require amps before jumping the guns on better amp. your opinion has helped.

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #39 of 61
once you get into better amps and sources, you wont be able to listen to some headphones without one. thats how i am right now...

but how much are you willing to spend? and are you aiming at using an amp for portable, cd player, or computer..?

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #40 of 61
to be honest, i would think the e5 would be only good for ipods and such devices, because it looks very small and not powerful at all.  i could be wrong.  ive been looking at this amp for my hd555 because people with similar headphones say it's amazing.  and i want a good source for the computer.

http://www.amazon.com/Rolls-HA43-Pro-Output-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0010BWLMS/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284072779&sr=8-11

They say it's the Rolls (Royce) of headphone amps lol.  I think it would be a great entry level amp for someone with the ad700 or hd555 like i have.

Sep 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:
once you get into better amps and sources, you wont be able to listen to some headphones without one. thats how i am right now...

but how much are you willing to spend? and are you aiming at using an amp for portable, cd player, or computer..?

What? I can totally listen to headphones without a source.

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #42 of 61
well I think I'm going to start out with portable.  I'm currently using portable devices like Iphone 4 or laptop/desktop cpu.  My budget would probable be $100. But of course the less the better since the headphones I have aren't hard to drive. I'm probable going to check in with the mini3 you've mentioned and that rolls ha43 seems interesting.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #43 of 61
Okay I had the ad700 4 days already.  At first I had my doubt if I like them are not.  Now I learned and grew to like them.  At first I was listening to them at a higher volume (the same volume as to what I was listening to whenever I am listening to the ath M50) and quickly learned that the ad700 sounds better at a lower volume.  My initial was "how in the world do people listen to these headphones when they sound so bright and sparkly."  Well once I lowered the volume everything make sense.  The vocal become softer, natural, the sound stage become present with less chaoticness, and the high teeth clenching pitchness goes away.

These do have a lighter and tighter bass.  It could be a good thing or a bad thing.  The bad part is that because of this nature they don't perform as well as they could for rap/ hip hop genre. what they do well are on genre such as classical, country, soft rock like the eagles, 80's like madonna, and others genre such as jason mraz, colbie calliat, sixties music such as peggy march, the supremes and so on.  Anything that requires acurate voice, guitar, instrumental music, and maybe piano (I haven't determine this yet piano performance with these can be subjective).  I love the way how it sounds with hotel california by the eagles. The guitar with colbie calliat "I never told you" or really just guitar in general. I found AT does well with guitar IMO.  This is a comparision with the headphones I own. after listen to these, I can see how comparing the ad700 to the M50's bass, the m50 bass can sound bloated, the mids (vocal) can sound darker then actual presentation. By all means, this does not mean that the M50 does not sound right. I still think the M50 sound lush and sweet.  This is what I notices. and I can still say I like the M50s a lot.  The m50 has a heavier and slightly more aggressive sound than the ad700.

This is my first open headphones and I can say the ad700 3d wings combine with the velvet pad, weightless band and cups, plus the large soundstage really make these earphones really comfortable and graceful. I do not get sweaty ears after hours of wearing, no clamping force feel on the side of my head, and best of all I can't even feel the headband because of the 3d wings. They really do float on top of your head. I can say that these does not  isolate well with background noise, but hey they are open headphones.

So far I am really satisfy of being an owner of both audio technica ad700 and M50. Both are really good headphones for $100 and under headphones.  I guess I should also say this about the ad700, The purple isn't too bad, it's the size of the headphone.  They are really big, but really light.  Since they are huge, I can't see how they could ever be considered looking good on your head. Also, the 3d wings looks funny flat out.  I can see the main focus of audio technica design when making these headphones, to make them sound good and to make sure they are comfortable.

I'm still hearing them out, but this is my intial reaction toward the ad700.  I maybe not the most experienced with headphones  but this is what I hear through my ears and so far my ears like em. So far Audio Technica has not dissappoint me yet, but I think it's time to move on. Now lets see what is my next step in hp's, maybe grado sr80/sr225 or senn 600/650 or akg 701? 
biggrin.gif
  I figure it's time to move away from AT and see what else is out there.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #44 of 61
Yeah, I have low listening volumes for my AD700 as well out of my iPod, when I had them. They can get too harsh at high volume listening levels, because the treble isn't quite that refined. Try amping these with tubes, though, they sound great out of the LD MkII for me. With tubes you might be able to raise your listening levels.

As for what's next, here's my take on your options:

The SR80 is totally different from the Air, similar treble presence but they are far more aggressive, very forward and upfront. The M50 though is more aggressive in the sense of putting the sound right in front of you, and has far more low end and entirely different treble presentation. I also prefer the mids of the M50 over the SR80. Personally I think the M50 mops the floor with the SR80 in all ways so there's no need to get one, unless you really prefer the Grado sound or unless you plan to mod the hell out of your SR80 (like I did).

HD600/650 - a great next step. And a totally different style from the Air again. The HD650 is a bit similar to the M50. But much better in just about every way sonically, I think. The HD600 though is a bit different, and doesn't have the same low end, but the clarity is a few notches higher than both M50 and AD700.

The K701 -- in my opinion is a total upgrade over the Air. It beats the Air in every criteria except for easiness to drive.  Other than that, if you have the right system behind the K701, it simply outdoes the Air in all categories. Bigger soundstage, better imaging, better bass, smoother, sweeter highs, luscious mids. Comfort well that depends, will not touch that messy stick. 

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #45 of 61
Thanks Mochan,

This will shorten my search a little bit.  i was kinda iffy about the SR series since there are a lot people either really love them are really hate them. I might hold off on grados for bit.

humm I'm surprise the k701 are hard to drive since the impedance is only 60 ohm.

Base on your description the K701 sounds very attractive, but at the same time the M50 sound is what I like a lot.  So if the HD650 is a bit similar then that make take the cake. who knows. either way I gotta earn some cash first in the mean time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back