Quest for Holy Grail of gaming sound!
Apr 21, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #77 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.R.A.N.C.E. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how bout the Beyer T1, wouldn't that be a good gaming HP seeing as it improves on every aspect of sound of the beyer line up? (770/880/990)

Of course they would be a great gaming headphones. But the real question here is: how many gamers can afford it??

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #78 of 239
DT880 for the most part should be more than sufficient for 'immersive' gaming. W/ T1 or HD800 one might end up hearing every gritty little detail like strident bullets grazing against your cheek in Crysis Wars or the ninja pro footsteps I can effortlessly hear in MW2. Overkill perhaps but doesn't hurt if you can afford 'em given their brutal transparencies are always welcome let alone their superb imaging. T1's loudness despite the asserted efficient drivers is quite low. In fact the lowest out of all the cans I own. Ss is also narrower compared to the behemoth ss of 800 but it is by no means inadequate. Regardless dt880 should be no sweat for prospective/ongoing fps competitive gamers if you engage in that kind of endeavours. Circle jumps, aiming, 1v1 strafing and all that jazz I used to practice day after day months after months till my fingernails turned green and hands sallow were some of the most fun moments I remember and I was merely using ad900 and still managed to rake up very high k/d ratios.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #79 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by zephyr90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look like a relabeled DT231/5 with an added mic. Which are said to sound good but they are closed-back. I think it's really annoying to hear myself talking in my head when using teamspeak with closed cans, so I wonder why they would make a gaming can out of that instead of the DT131.

Actually, i'm pretty interested in these as i go to tourneys (LAN) often. So yeah close headphones(set) are what i need. I was thinking of the G35 but since the output is USB only, that might cause some problems.

The mmx 2 on the other hand, has a separable USB soundcard which is also another plus for tourney goers (ingame sounds stay the way it is). The PC350 does not come with a USB adapter and the impedance is extremely high.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #80 of 239
Fidelity isn't as important for games ... you're not scrutinizing everything for treble roll-off at 10K or recessed mids when bullets are whizzing past and your flag's just been taken. Basic clarity, directional audio and soundstage matter more. Plus, subjectively I don't think sound in most games is good enough to warrant a $1-2K headphone rig, plenty of good things in life to enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #81 of 239
Interesting comparison but as usual, it was done in a completely uncontrolled manner. Where's the standerzied test? Where's the variables, data, etc? Until someone does a controlled experiement this is nothing more then an opinion.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #83 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by d1ce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting comparison but as usual, it was done in a completely uncontrolled manner. Where's the standerzied test? Where's the variables, data, etc? Until someone does a controlled experiement this is nothing more then an opinion.

But what do you really want to know scientifically? What kind of test would you design? What would be the point of such a test? Is there really an 'objective' standard of test for gaming headphones?

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #84 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audioholic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well AD700 would be my choice too for x-fi. They are realy great for FPS games. But, if you want all-around headphones, I must say that HD555 is better for movies and music.

i have to whole heartedly disagree here, IMO there isn't a single thing the 555 does better than the ad700 (except maybe looks, if you're that insecure)

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #85 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by xformulax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have to whole heartedly disagree here, IMO there isn't a single thing the 555 does better than the ad700 (except maybe looks, if you're that insecure)

How about bass?

May 10, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #87 of 239

Quote:
Well, if you game with a HD800, I see one possible future for you: Gaming with Stax Think about it. I've never heard so amazing definition and texture on those lower bass explosions.
wink.gif
(Sarcasm of course; that said, one of my goals is to own an Omega 2 someday).

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi
Anyway, I do feel that CMSS-3D and EAX offer more realistic gaming while Dolby Headphone gives you more of a gaming advantage in non-CQC (close quarter combat) games. Dolby Headphone is pretty bad in terms of accounting for close range sounds.

I think that's an important distinction. I don't game competitively, I don't care about beating anyone else, I just want entertainment and I find the more real it feels, the more entertaining it is.

@Audioholic - now that you've got all these amazing cans, why don't you get a nice used amp and then... have an amazing music setup.
devil_face.gif

I remember reading somewhere that Dolby Headphone works *best* on certain headsets while cmss 3D works better on others.  I think I saw this post not that long ago; may have been on the astro forums, or even on here or the [H].  But I do remember very clearly that they said that Dolby Headphone was VERY hardware dependent on how good it was for competitive play.  I believe they mentioned that DH shined with the Beyerdynamic headsets.  That being said, I love DH with my MMX 300, too.
I've used CMSS headphone with the mmx300 also, and it just doesn't feel quite as "comfortable", so to speak, and feels harsher on my ears...though with the Astro a40 headset, I can pick up footsteps better with it.  With the MMX300, I'm fine with DH instead.

Also there are apparently three different dolby headphone modes, and the Astro mixamp and some other solutions use DH2, which is apparently not as competition friendly as DH1 mode.

May 10, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #88 of 239

Quote:
I heard that the soundstage on the DT880 are mostly to the left and right, without much depth. Did you find this to be true?

Although the DT880s have an expansive left to right soundstage, they are easy to pick up front and rear sounds. Not as good as the DT770 Pro 80s (which aren't exactly competition worthy as they are quite bassy, but have the best rear audio cues I have ever heard), but I have no problems with the DT880s. Anyone using the DT880s with Dolby Headphone shouldn't be missing out on anything.

May 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #89 of 239
I believe you are wrong about X-RAM - their main purpose is not to be supported by games. Audio processing is back breaking for old, low end-cpus and X-RAM, from what I know, does offer a marked benefit. There have been graphs on it, and there is a marked improvement for Preludes vs similar sound cards without X-RAM, and onboard. However, it isn't really useful to anyone with a multicore cpu - then it'd only save you about 1/50th of your processing power.

May 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #90 of 239
x-ram was only used in a few games. quake 4 and battlefield 2 i think. multicore cpus dont matter in this case. the game or sound card has to be coded to take advantage of multicores. 
considering games that take advantage of an x-fi's gaming audio power have pretty much ceased being made, this is really slightly pointless. 

i still have my modded x-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back