Quest for Holy Grail of gaming sound!
Apr 18, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #31 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound GREATLY improves everyone's skills, so yes sound is a must for games like CoD. Being able to hear people sneaking up on you even when they have Dead Silence/Ninja Pro, is very thrilling.

no not games for cod.

Sound is actually not essential for mainstream games. I've gotten 80-5 on ricochet with the game muted.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #32 of 239
Well, if you game with a HD800, I see one possible future for you: Gaming with Stax Think about it. I've never heard so amazing definition and texture on those lower bass explosions.
wink.gif
(Sarcasm of course; that said, one of my goals is to own an Omega 2 someday).

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi
Anyway, I do feel that CMSS-3D and EAX offer more realistic gaming while Dolby Headphone gives you more of a gaming advantage in non-CQC (close quarter combat) games. Dolby Headphone is pretty bad in terms of accounting for close range sounds.

I think that's an important distinction. I don't game competitively, I don't care about beating anyone else, I just want entertainment and I find the more real it feels, the more entertaining it is.

@Audioholic - now that you've got all these amazing cans, why don't you get a nice used amp and then... have an amazing music setup.
devil_face.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #34 of 239
I'm actually a gaming fanatic similar to yourself, same games, similar play time, competitive gaming. Tried a TON of headphones (including all that you tested other than the HD800s) and the DT880s were easily the best IMO as well.

I was wondering if the HD800s or T1s would best them given their highly touted soundstage, but apparently the HD800 does not. Now to find out for the T1...

Great post, thanks alot!

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #36 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bubba, did you have to quote the entire thing :/
Anyway, I do feel that CMSS-3D and EAX offer more realistic gaming while Dolby Headphone gives you more of a gaming advantage in non-CQC (close quarter combat) games. Dolby Headphone is pretty bad in terms of accounting for close range sounds. I find that Counter Strike is still the best for testing positional sound. For sound quality in terms of FPS's, Battlefield Bad Company 2, along with ARMA and Project Reality (Battlefield 2 mod).

Hmm, when I had only X-fi, Cmoy and PC-350, I tried so hard to like CMSS, but it just didn't do it for me. Even with elevation and that other option turned on I had a hard time figuring where the sound is coming from. I actually had to turn myself quickly from left to right few times in game to pinpoint the enemy. That wasn't very efficient so I just used stereo and was very happy. First time I heard Dolby it was actually on a my friends Razer Barracuda soundcard. I brought the PC-350 to him and played around a bit with settings, and when I enabled Dolby option and heard the soundstage, I thought: Bingo! That's what I was looking for. You can choose the size of the soundstage from small room to large and I find that the middle option suits me the most. SVN option amplifies the footsteps sounds x 3, lowers the gunshot sounds so that combined with a little larger soundstage is a near perfect positioning for me. No issues detected with close range sounds. He is always at the spot where I hear him.
very_evil_smiley.gif
And he usually dies on that spot too..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Audioholic - now that you've got all these amazing cans, why don't you get a nice used amp and then... have an amazing music setup.
devil_face.gif

Already on the way!
darthsmile.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #38 of 239
wow, this is just what i needed!
thanks audioholic

but im curious as to what version of dt880 did you use? i assumed it is the most efficient one?
do you think the soundcard is as important as the headphone? have u tried USB DAC that is more towards music application before?

I tried gaming on my hd650 before (no i didnt plug it in straight from the onboard HP out
rolleyes.gif
) while i generally hears more sound thanks to the details compared to my cheap plantronic use for gaming.. positional wise its not that good, in fact it is worst than the plantronic headset

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #39 of 239
My opinions are similar to yours!

I loved my AD700 for gaming.. absolutely brilliant. My SS Siberia v2 comes close.. and its better for LAN due to USB and mic, but for home the AD700 + X-Fi was so awesome in CS...

I have long sold them since I moved to the US (Student) and so use a Siberia V2 since I have to game on a laptop.

I'm thinking of getting the DT880 600ohm.. cause I missed the precise footsteps I would get with the AD700.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #40 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by feiraron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, this is just what i needed!
thanks audioholic

but im curious as to what version of dt880 did you use? i assumed it is the most efficient one?
do you think the soundcard is as important as the headphone? have u tried USB DAC that is more towards music application before?

I tried gaming on my hd650 before (no i didnt plug it in straight from the onboard HP out
rolleyes.gif
) while i generally hears more sound thanks to the details compared to my cheap plantronic use for gaming.. positional wise its not that good, in fact it is worst than the plantronic headset

Thank you , m8! I'm using DT880 Pro 250ohm version. Hmmm, I would say that for positional audio it's more important to have good positioning headphones. About 65/35 ratio in my opinion. I haven't tried the USB DAC but I will for sure. As soon as my wallet feels better
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #41 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by FirsToStrike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What say you about the dt770 for gaming? I'm looking for a closed HP...
and which version should be better? there are so many of them...

Unfortunately, I didn't hear DT770, but I can tell you this, of all the headphones I tried, the ones which sound best for classic music usually sound best for positioning to me. Dunno why. Any analytic headphones + a little bit off bass + good soundcard = better positioning(more frags) + average immersion. Headphones like HD555 + good soundcard = medium positioning(less frags) + better immersion. If I would have to choose a closed HP for gaming I would choose Ultrasone 750 pro. Can't go wrong there with any soundcard.

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #42 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by FirsToStrike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What say you about the dt770 for gaming? I'm looking for a closed HP...
and which version should be better? there are so many of them...

FUN, FUN, FUN. The DT770 Pro 80 is the FUNNEST headphone for gaming, period. The bass impact makes gaming totally worthwhile. Almost like gaming with a home theater system. Obviously the soundstage isn't anywhere near as good as open headphones, but they do a very respectable job at it, and their 360 degree positioning is just as good as any other in Dolby Headphone. I wouldn't advise them for COMPETITIVE gaming, but for single player gaming, they are absolutely worth it.

Positioning is MUCH more important than soundstage for gaming, IMHO.

Here's a fun fact: the KSC75 paired with the Astro Mixamp makes for one SERIOUS gaming headphone. Great positioning, good bass impact that won't drown out other sounds, soundstage, and well balanced sound overall.

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #43 of 239
Out of curiousity, has anyone tried gaming with Shure 440? It seems like it would be a good fit for LAN parties as it's closed and foldable, plus imo the soundstage is good.

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #44 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audioholic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, when I had only X-fi, Cmoy and PC-350, I tried so hard to like CMSS, but it just didn't do it for me. Even with elevation and that other option turned on I had a hard time figuring where the sound is coming from. I actually had to turn myself quickly from left to right few times in game to pinpoint the enemy. That wasn't very efficient so I just used stereo and was very happy. First time I heard Dolby it was actually on a my friends Razer Barracuda soundcard. I brought the PC-350 to him and played around a bit with settings, and when I enabled Dolby option and heard the soundstage, I thought: Bingo! That's what I was looking for. You can choose the size of the soundstage from small room to large and I find that the middle option suits me the most. SVN option amplifies the footsteps sounds x 3, lowers the gunshot sounds so that combined with a little larger soundstage is a near perfect positioning for me. No issues detected with close range sounds. He is always at the spot where I hear him.
very_evil_smiley.gif
And he usually dies on that spot too..

Already on the way!
darthsmile.gif

Don't worry you aren't alone about CMSS/EAX. I can't stand either for gaming, I used to use it just on principal but then I tried stereo and I'll never go back. Sound is much better separated and much clearer.

I disagree with the guy who said that Dolby is a huge improvement over stereo completely. I find it similar to CMSS (although quite a bit better), and stereo is much better positioning once you adjust to it.

This is from a CEVO-M CSS player.

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #45 of 239
X-Fi>Stello DA100 dac>Travagan's Red>Stax Lambda's. This is what I use when the wife is not home (she hates all open headphones). The "quickness" of Stax (even vintage ones) can't be beat. When the house dragon is home I use this setup... X-Fi>Stello DA100 dac>Millett MiniMAX>Denon D-7000's. I'm to old (57) to kick any ass in games but was good in Raven Shield because of the sound the Stax provided. You only started your "quest" young grasshopper...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back