Quality EQ apps for ipod/iphone/ipad
Jan 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #391 of 458
Quote:
I lost interest in EQ apps having tried loads (paid and free).

I deleted them all except for SonicMaxPro which I use occasionally.

Now that I have better headphones than I used to, I don't need to use any EQ very often these days. I still like having the option to do so though.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #392 of 458
Now that I have better headphones than I used to, I don't need to use any EQ very often these days. I still like having the option to do so though.

That's the true audiophile coming out in you. I always knew you had potential. :wink:

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #393 of 458
Quote:
That's the true audiophile coming out in you. I always knew you had potential.
wink.gif

Funny thing is, now that I have several primary headphones that don't need EQ,  the newest Rockbox builds have a 10-band EQ, that is still just as tweakable as the prior 5-band one....but hey, EQ does allow me to use even those few headphones that normally just hang out collecting dust, so I will never abandon it altogether.
But it is nice that my primary headphones don't need it.
L3000.gif

(and you will be shocked at what my next DAP is when it arrives) 

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #394 of 458
Funny thing is, now that I have several primary headphones that don't need EQ,  the newest Rockbox builds have a 10-band EQ, that is still just as tweakable as the prior 5-band one....but hey, EQ does allow me to use even those few headphones that normally just hang out collecting dust, so I will never abandon it altogether.
But it is nice that my primary headphones don't need it.
L3000.gif

(and you will be shocked at what my next DAP is when it arrives) 

I used to use EQ like a mad man, (for many years) I wouldn't listen to music without, loved the equalizer app used to pump up DA BASS, but when I bought Colorfly C3 I really wanted to change my ways, it took about a month to fully adjust, however I now like the buzz from no EQ and thrill of the chase finding good synergy without faking it. :p

I betcha it's a Cowon betcha! ?

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #395 of 458
I used to use EQ like a mad man, (for many years) I wouldn't listen to music without, loved the equalizer app used to pump up DA BASS, but when I bought Colorfly C3 I really wanted to change my ways, it took about a month to fully adjust, however I now like the buzz from no EQ and thrill of the chase finding good synergy without faking it. :p

Hmm, but all music is equalised as part of mixing and mastering. So it's all fake? Equalising is merely adjusting to taste or compensating for a flaw.

If you also consider loudness curves then at the very least one needs bass equalisation to adjust to preferred volume levels. Your phones are very unlikely to have the bass just right for you at the volume level you require. Most phones also lose it on the very low end. Just 7db added at 40Hz can make a big difference to bass experience of bass that's otherwise not heard.

Most of my phones are excellent but flawed. I EQ, with a parametric equaliser, to get rid of the shouty humps and piercing spikes. Equalising my venerable PL30s was a mind blow. I get audio worth much more than the value of my phones.

Sure, one can get used to (pretty much) anything, but why compromise.

So long as the phones have low distortion then equalisation has no downsides unless the equaliser is poor and itself distorts (ie. Ipod and windows Media player)

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #396 of 458
Couldn't imagine not EQing after trying the stock iPad/iPod sound. I love having the ability to adjust, and with my double amp setup (E-11 with ZO), it simply is amazing how you can tailor the sound.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #399 of 458
I downloaded the free version of Accudio. I like it. Lets me amp up my bass response. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #400 of 458
First of all... Bump! Anyone found anything new?

Quote:
So, I've downloaded a few of the top EQ apps from the app store on my 4s:
Audio Xciter
Accudio
Afessa EQ
EQu
Sonic EQ
Denon Audio
Equalizer (very original people over there...)
Equalizer Pro (no relation to the prior)

I'll do a small write up on each if anyone has any interest, but for at this point I'm really impressed with Golden Ears's Accudio.

I can give a brief comparison of most, would need to spend more time for a proper overview though. Been using my ety HF5/iPhone 5 for all of these.

Audio Xciter: Some would say it mutilates your music. If you're a hardcore audiophile with good headphones, the "high" preset WILL make you head explode, and I don't mean that in a good way. Personally, I think it's one of the most interesting apps here... think of it as a VERY aggressive V shaped EQ that adds less distortion and more fun than a typical EQ. I end up using it on the road quite a bit (friends love it), and it certainly makes my etys sound more exiting. There's a trial version available.

Accudio: There's plenty of coverage here on head-fi. In a nutshell, it's an automatic EQ that flattens your headphones, and it's pretty amazing. The headphone simulation effect is meh, but looking at the profiles themselves is an interesting way to learn about headphones you want to buy. Cheap, as it's free, and works with FLAC files.

Audyssey Media Player: Like Accudio, but a tiny bit less neutral, more "dynamic". The UI is WAY better than Accudio's, and unlike Accudio, you can adjust the sound a bit more while the headphone profile is loaded. Not free.

EQu: A slick, simple UI (you can even change the color scheme). Just a great, plain parametric equalizer. No weird distortion. Not free, if I remember correctly.

Denon Audio: Another great equalizer, with a more familiar UI. Fairly certain it's free, and has tunein radio built in.

Equalizer/Equalizer Pro: 2 more basic equalizers, personally I prefer the UI of EQu and Denon audio. Didn't spend much time with these, and they're no longer on my phone. 

SonicMax BBE Pro: Another great equalizer, but with the added bonus of some neat audio "enhancement" effects as well. Some features ("beat" enhanced bass, treble enhancement) feel like a toned down version of Audio Xciter. It's great if you love tweaking, and this app has plenty of coverage on head-fi.

As long as your headphones are supported, Accudio/Audyssey are by far the best (and for me, the most used) of the bunch. I occasionally use Audio Xciter (for an aggressive V equalizer). and rarely use SonicMax (for moderate general sound enhancement, especially if I'm away from headphones), EQu (for a light equalizer), or Denon (for tunein radio).

I'll try Afessa EQ, Sonic EQ, and Audio 3D soon, though Audio 3D doesn't have a profile for my Etys yet. I'll be happy to spend more time on these and pick up other apps too, anyone have any suggestions?

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #401 of 458
Quote:

Accudio: There's plenty of coverage here on head-fi. In a nutshell, it's an automatic EQ that flattens your headphones, and it's pretty amazing. The headphone simulation effect is meh, but looking at the profiles themselves is an interesting way to learn about headphones you want to buy. Cheap, as it's free, and works with FLAC files.

Accudio is far from being neutral. The people behind it don't really understand what neutral is when it comes to headphone frequency response. I wrote a post detailing what the problem is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644688/the-accudio-app-by-golden-ears-a-headphone-revolution/60#post_9304107

As for all the apps that are processing the audio to "enhance" it in any way other than your own custom EQ curve, my advice has always been to stay the hell away from them, because it's no different than just randomly slapping a mastering plugin onto your audio bus instead of addressing the exact deficiencies of your specific headphone. The people who make these audio enhancing apps have no idea the exact headphone model you're using, so it's extremely likely that whatever "enhancement" is going on is actually exacerbating the already problematic areas of your headphone's frequency response. Apps that claim to have unique custom EQ curves for specific headphone models (such as Accudio) are only as good as the people who are behind them, and Accudio is NOT what I consider reliable and authoritative. I have no idea if Audyssey's take on the idea is better--I'll have to try it and see, but there's no free version to try like Accudio.

To date, the only sensible solution I've seen, is to EQ your headphone according to its specific frequency response measurement (can be found on reliable, authoritative websites like InnerFidelity). A straightforward parametric EQ with an intuitive GUI that allows exact input of frequency, bandwidth, and gain, is still the best solution. And Equalizer is still the best one, considering all that. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #402 of 458
The best EQ app that I used before I sold my iPhone 4 is called Stereophonic. It has quite a lot of nice features and last I checked it was only a dollar or two (don't quote me on that.)

May 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #403 of 458
OK, I am considering purchasing iPod Touch 4G to use with a with my Whiplash TWag v2 Micro LOD and Headstage Arrow 3G amp.  My question is will an EQ work with this arrangement? The reason I ask is the LOD bypasses the amplified section of my current Nano 2g meaning the internal EQ and volume control have no bearing on sound, will the LOD also bypass the EQ app?  I searched for an answer in this thread, but did not find a definitive answer.  Thanks   

May 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #404 of 458
Quote:
OK, I am considering purchasing iPod Touch 4G to use with a with my Whiplash TWag v2 Micro LOD and Headstage Arrow 3G amp.  My question is will an EQ work with this arrangement? The reason I ask is the LOD bypasses the amplified section of my current Nano 2g meaning the internal EQ and volume control have no bearing on sound, will the LOD also bypass the EQ app?  I searched for an answer in this thread, but did not find a definitive answer.  Thanks   

It should work. Mine did. My setup was an iPod Touch 4G (32GB) same LOD as yours and FiiO E12. The app I use is EQu.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #405 of 458
i've read some pages in this topic here but i had to try the apps out for myself..

i bought accudio, sonicmax pro, audyssey,  and equalizer, i wanted to buy audio xciter after trying it but then i bought my last EQ app, equalizer and i didn't see the need of buying another as i love it so much, i'm a basshead and this is eq is so great, i can finally pump up the bass with some kinds of music! i also love the interface a lot, its easy, i like the playlist creation feature, the possibility to turn your phone/ipod horizontally,...

i also liked accudio but i hate the fact there is no "more" button to search music by genre. it was a pain in the ass for me to tag all my music by genre so i really need that feature :) and anyways UI is nicer on equalizer.

sonicmax pro is quite nice too but for a basshead, looking to put some really impressive bass it's not enough.

i hated audyssey, maybe cuz i'm using a lod so it doesn't recognize headphones and the settings change almost nothing... but even using an aux interconnect it isnt really impressive to me. also they dont even have any ultrasone headphones in their list.. What? :x

i kind of liked audio xciter but its a weird way to EQ... and not a lot of possibility to EQ.

so anyways, the best for me was equalizer, i didnt try equ yet, atm ill stick with equalizer, maybe ill try it out later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back