QUAD PA-One Valve Headphone Amplifier and DAC
Dec 1, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #91 of 102
Very interesting as well that both are now discontinued. It did not seem to last very long, and... rather poor move by Quad, in my eyes.

Companies usually discontinue products because they're not selling well. I liked the Quad PA-One products, but always thought they were overpriced, and I suspect that the typical customers for Quad's music systems were not the right target market for the PA-Ones. (Or conversely, the right target market people probably don't shop at Quad dealers.)

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #92 of 102
Companies usually discontinue products because they're not selling well. I liked the Quad PA-One products, but always thought they were overpriced, and I suspect that the typical customers for Quad's music systems were not the right target market for the PA-Ones. (Or conversely, the right target market people probably don't shop at Quad dealers.)

Yes, I understand the reasoning quite well, and it does make (sadly) perfect sense, from the commercial and company's (or, well, companies') perspective.
Nevertheless, from the head-fi consumer point of view, a bit sad.

Funny you mention the "overpriced" argument. Sort of.
The reason I say that is the review in the UK hifi magazine that stated that the Pa One was the value product, since it is the combination of the decent (for some mediocre, but still) DAC section, with plug and play functionality with the laptop or desktop computer, and quite nice headphone amp, as well as the decent preamp.

The companies do discontinue their products.
The question is what is the customer left with, in terms of service, but in this particular case, Quad have been known to stand behind their long discontinued hi-fi products, so no problems there, I would guess.

Nevertheless, this might made me look more into the stuff like the Quicksilver, the only caveat with that one is that it is a US based "company" - and I am in the EU.
Hooray for the customs, etc.

Having said all of this, still enjoying the Quad Pa One, it is really something special with the headphones I have at home.
So much so that it made me curious how much of an improvement the Pa One+ really is.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #93 of 102
Is the PA-One + considered a downgrade to the VA-One + ? Has anyone compared sound performance between both?

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #94 of 102
Is the PA-One + considered a downgrade to the VA-One + ? Has anyone compared sound performance between both?

For headphone listening?
I haven't compared ever, but one short reflection was given, either at head-fi or somewhere else.
It said that the Va-One was sort of an "jack of all trades", while the Pa-One was specifically something to look for, for headphone listening.

There were some comparisons in two posts, given in this thread; here are the links to two posts in the thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/quad-va-one-tube-headphone-amp-dac.854384/post-14539223

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/quad-va-one-tube-headphone-amp-dac.854384/post-15695323

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #97 of 102
I'm still loving my PA-1+ as a different flavor with my over-ears.

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #98 of 102
I'm still loving my PA-1+ as a different flavor with my over-ears.
Some time ago, you had Rosson Audio RAD-0. I thought that you went 100% IEM afterwards …. How long with the ZMFs? 🤔

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #99 of 102
I loved the Quad with the VO and VC, plus, the LSA Diamond (Kennerton).

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #102 of 102
I have a chance to buy Quad One+ new for 799€. Is it a good deal? I have headphones: Audeze-X, Focal Clear and HD650. Does it pair well with these? 🤔
It’s been my endgame amp for a while. I tube rolled it also. It sounds amazing on HD650s and the Clears for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back