QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Nov 15, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #661 of 2,247
I worked remotely today as i knew they were going to be delivered and i could spend all day listening to them :beyersmile:
Just switched again to velour pads and i think i like that combination much more. They sound tiring to my ears on the long run with the leather pads. Also I find them a little bit too flat for my tastes, in terms of both sound signature and soundstage. Velour pads seem to turn them into a planar Stax O2 (I'm repeating myself but i was secretly hoping for that so this is like a revelation), with a much more massive bass-midrange and a smoothed out treble.

Do you find them comfortable? A lot of people say their earpads are kind of small.

Nov 15, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #662 of 2,247
Do you find them comfortable? A lot of people say their earpads are kind of small.
My ears fit properly, no issue in my case. But yeah people with massive ears may have a problem. For me I would say they're still on the heavy side and you can feel the weight on the head after a few hours. I think it's the big difference with 200-300 grammes headphones. But it's not unbearable either.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #664 of 2,247
@mobbaddict I'm excited to hear more of your impressions! They look gorgeous, and I'm legit jealous. :)

They do look nicer in person than on pictures! The build quality is really nice.

I've been starting comparing them with my Stax LNS (which used to be a Stax benchmark for neutrality) and this helps a lot understanding the qualities and defaults of the headphone. It's not a perfect headphone. The velour pads have some side effects that i didn't notice first, and the leather pads might give the more neutral sound in the end, even if they are less seductive. I'll write in-depth impressions as i think it will provide a good idea of how good the Quads are.

I won't be able to say how good they are compared to other high-end planars, as I've only auditioned a few of them and I think it's very easy to be mighty impressed on a 5 minutes audition, as opposed to spending a full day with these.

Nov 15, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #665 of 2,247
They do look nicer in person than on pictures! The build quality is really nice.

I've been starting comparing them with my Stax LNS (which used to be a Stax benchmark for neutrality) and this helps a lot understanding the qualities and defaults of the headphone. It's not a perfect headphone. The velour pads have some side effects that i didn't notice first, and the leather pads might give the more neutral sound in the end, even if they are less seductive. I'll write in-depth impressions as i think it will provide a good idea of how good the Quads are.

I won't be able to say how good they are compared to other high-end planars, as I've only auditioned a few of them and I think it's very easy to be mighty impressed on a 5 minutes audition, as opposed to spending a full day with these.

Perfect one doesn't exists :)
Don't forget to feeding it with a correct dac/amp at comparison. Don't judge only on the iphone :D

Nov 16, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #666 of 2,247
Perfect one doesn't exists :)
Don't forget to feeding it with a correct dac/amp at comparison. Don't judge only on the iphone :D

I know :triportsad: For now the only alternative i have is an old audiophilie DAP that i still have (Teclast T51), it sounds pretty good out of it.

I was wondering, does the sound character change out of a better source or is it essentially the same? Is there any way to give it more more "bite"?

The reason I'm asking this is because I noticed that the Quads have a super smooth sound, almost too smooth. This strikes me when i switch to Hifiman RE400 (dynamic IEM) to go outside. I believe this is a characteristic of the planar sound, right? And the reason why a lot of people still favor the old school dynamic Sennheiser (look at the discussions on the LCD-1 thread). I'd like to understand that as this is something i both like and dislike about this headphone and maybe planars in general.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #667 of 2,247
By the way, not sure if this has been shared on the thread yet, red is velour pads, blue is leather pads
Quad_Era-1_repense_en_frequence.jpg

https://on-mag.fr/index.php/topaudi...enant-de-maturite-et-par-son-tarif-pas-abusif

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #668 of 2,247
I know :triportsad: For now the only alternative i have is an old audiophilie DAP that i still have (Teclast T51), it sounds pretty good out of it.

I was wondering, does the sound character change out of a better source or is it essentially the same? Is there any way to give it more more "bite"?

The reason I'm asking this is because I noticed that the Quads have a super smooth sound, almost too smooth. This strikes me when i switch to Hifiman RE400 (dynamic IEM) to go outside. I believe this is a characteristic of the planar sound, right? And the reason why a lot of people still favor the old school dynamic Sennheiser (look at the discussions on the LCD-1 thread). I'd like to understand that as this is something i both like and dislike about this headphone and maybe planars in general.

Not at all.
It's the characteristic of "this" planar. There's no other planar that sounds like this one out of the box.
With a proper amp there'll be more dynamics and control in every volume step.
But be aware not to pick a dac/amp with

The sound signature will be the same, but there'll be an increase of dynamics and more control on each volume step.

Each planar is different from what the Era sounds like. Its signature is dedicaded to the Quad Loudspeakers.

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #669 of 2,247
Not at all.
It's the characteristic of "this" planar. There's no other planar that sounds like this one out of the box.
With a proper amp there'll be more dynamics and control in every volume step.
But be aware not to pick a dac/amp with

The sound signature will be the same, but there'll be an increase of dynamics and more control on each volume step.

Each planar is different from what the Era sounds like. Its signature is dedicaded to the Quad Loudspeakers.
Thank you for the explanation! So I'm not crazy, I didn't hear this in the Audezes I auditioned... Do you think it's a good or a bad thing? You will probably say that it's a matter of personal tastes. I think some people may see it as some kind of undesired veil.
Edit: i notice that the leather pads help on this by providing more clarity and tightness

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #670 of 2,247
Thank you for the explanation! So I'm not crazy, I didn't hear this in the Audezes I auditioned... Do you think it's a good or a bad thing? You will probably say that it's a matter of personal tastes. I think some people may see it as some kind of undesired veil.
Edit: i notice that the leather pads help on this by providing more clarity and tightness

You've answered your question in a row. ^^
It's all a matter of personal taste, everything in the audio world.
I like the sound of the various audezes too, but to enjoy music the Era is my favorite headphone, especially when it comes to price/performance ratio.

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #671 of 2,247
You've answered your question in a row. ^^
It's all a matter of personal taste, everything in the audio world.
I like the sound of the various audezes too, but to enjoy music the Era is my favorite headphone, especially when it comes to price/performance ratio.
I agree that the value for money is excellent with this headphone, especially for someone looking for a semi-portable headphone that you can use with a DAP. It's comfy, very balanced and super fast. There's just this issue with the timbre smoothness that i need to figure out.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #672 of 2,247
I've gone through the thread and these have definitely piqued my interest.

I was wondering though, my ears are on the larger side so will these fit?

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #673 of 2,247
I've gone through the thread and these have definitely piqued my interest.

I was wondering though, my ears are on the larger side so will these fit?
I don't have particularly large ears but I'm 6.3 feet and they fit just fine. They barely touch the earpads and the driver protection. With the leather pads they have more space inside the cup. But then it depends how large your ears are... Maybe you'd have to try them to make sure.

Nov 17, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #675 of 2,247
Quick impressions of the Quad versus the Stax Lambda Nova Signature. Both were connected to the Chromecast audio, with the SRM-212 feeding the Stax and the little Fiio E5 feeding the Quads. So a cheap setup for both of them but the point is to see the strengths and weaknesses of each.

CACDA297-16-B8-40-D1-BC7-E-7-F4959129087.jpg

The Stax is a very balanced headphone with a slightly darkish signature a la HD600/650, so none of the usual Lambda upper midrange coloration. I consider its timbre to be spot on.

I'm using the Quad with the velour earpads as they provide a darker/closer tone and I just enjoy them much more this way. I don't think the leather pads really have a different frequency response, they just add a different/clearer vibe. It's really cool to have the choice between those two distinctive sound signatures, depending on if you like darker/brighter signatures.

The Quad and the Stax actually have much more in common than not and comparing them just helps relativize their own strengths/weaknesses. There were moments when i had to double check which one I was wearing, which is always a good sign.

In terms of balance the Stax is a bit more mid-centric, with a similar but slightly rolled off bass and an invisible treble (noticing treble is always is always a bad sign in my book). I'm biased towards the Stax as it matches at 99% my personal tastes. The Quad is slightly more u-shaped in comparison, with a thundering deep bass that provides a super solid base foundation, and a more noticeable but still smooth treble. It's a very well balanced headphone overall, the bass is clean enough and the treble is never aggressive. You can switch from one to another and forget which one you are using. That's how close they are.

In terms of speed and detail the Quad is really surprising, even out an iPhone. I don't think it is any less fast than the Stax, the sound flows in a similarly effortless manner and at fast pace. The level of detail is not razorsharp (at least with the cheap setup I'm using) but I don't feel like I'm losing much on the Stax. It's just a very natural and liquid presentation with the sound flowing around you, rather than attacking your eardrums in an aggressive manner like many dynamic headphones would do. The sound is still a bit thicker than the ethereal presentation of the Stax but i think it's part of the technical differences between planars and electrostats. And I kinda like it.

Timbre is the point where they sound the most different. The Stax is super transparent and provides a timbre that is very faithful to the recording. I can hear a small coloration/smoothness in the Quad midrange, similarly to what @zolkis noticed earlier on this thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/quad-era-1-thread.878180/page-5#post-14492411). It's not a big issue and it probably won't be one for many people but I'm a sucker for transparency and realism, and I feel this may become a limitation for me on the long run with this headphone. The midrange is still enjoyable but i can't help but noticing the coloration.

Last topic is the soundstage. They have a different approach on this, Stax being faithful to its "earspeakers" appellation with its super open sound that spreads into blackness outside the headphone. Combined with its ability to make sound pop of nowhere, you get what I would call a ventriloquist headphone. The downside is that the soundstage is also flatter and more 2D-like because of the huge drivers being so close to the ears. The Quad has a well delimited soundstage that feels more intimate and 3D-like, which I appreciate. If you like to feel inside the music, i think you will like this headphone. And yet it has a great ability to let you pinpoint every instrument on acoustic recordings. We're in full high-end territory here.

In conclusion I think the Quad is a great all-rounder with a very balanced sound signature, terrific bass and speed, and a smooth sound that makes it very easy to listen during long sessions. They work well with any kind of music, just like the Stax. I don't know how well it scales with a good amp and if the timbre can improve but I think it's already quite impressive to have this kind of sound out of a portable setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back