1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

QUAD ERA-1 Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by FastAndClean, Apr 24, 2018.
First

Back
34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
45 46 47 48
Next

Last
  1. mobbaddict
    Just ordered the Quads :) First new headphone in 8 years, I'm excited!

2. Chris Kaoss
    Good catch. :)
    you'll have a great listening experience with it, i believe.

mobbaddict likes this.
  3. mobbaddict
    I hope so! I'll post my first impressions in 10 days or so. Will compare them with my Stax LNS.

4. ParaLoganGrado
    Awesome, I will be living vicariously through you so make sure to post a lot of hi-def pics!

mobbaddict likes this.
  5. mobbaddict
    Sure :) By the way the premise is that i will use the Quad mostly directly on the iPhone, with the Chromecast audio + Fiio E5 as a cheap alternative. If it beats the Stax technically in these conditions I will be seriously impressed.

6. Chris Kaoss
    Haha. Seriously? ^^
    I guess you're kidding. :)

Looking forward to your impressions, even in comparison to the stax.

7. mobbaddict
    Absolutely not :D Most reviews mentioned that the Quads can be driven directly out of a DAP or a good phone without issue. Also a few people mentioned the Quads and the Abyss/LCD4 in the same sentence (not necessarily on the same level but look at the Soundnews review) so my expectations are pretty high technically. I don't mind buying a portable amp later but we'll see how it works unamped first :)

8. Chris Kaoss
    Well, i get the quad to a painful volume level out of my V30 without any hassle in sound, except my ears . :)
    V30 is on par with E5 to deliver enough power on the 20ohms of the Quads.

But the R28 serves way better resolution, dynamic and control. :wink:

You won't get disappointed, i think. :beerchug:

mobbaddict likes this.
  9. mobbaddict
    I see, it sounds fair enough. I guess I'll first see how i like the overall sound & signature of the Quads before considering uprading my source :wink:

10. mobbaddict
    Just received these beauties this morning :)
    [​IMG]

Been trying them for half an hour with velour pads out of the iPhone (apologies to all the horrified audiophiles reading me) and they sound exactly how i expected them to do.
    [​IMG]

They might obviously sound a little underpowered but I will have to test them out of proper amp to make sure. I also need to test the leather pads.

For the rest I'm already impressed by their combination of speed, effortless presentation, rock solid bass, sweet mids and smooth treble. Soundstage is also very nice, quite a respectable size with a good sense of depth and openness. They sound like a planar Stax O2 on the go, just more blurry. It will be very interesting to see if they can match the electrostatic accuracy with an amp.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  11. fericske
    Leather pads will make some changes in sound. That is usually preferred by Era1 owners. Tightness, bass, soundstage feeling will be different. Scalable by source gear. I didn' find any that is from sounds bad (any mobile phone, "vintage" mp3 players etc.), and also didn't find any that is overkill to it, like Woo Audio range, DCS Bartok, Sim Audio, Lynn, Benchmark and many more (Quad Pa1+ of course :))
    All was good with, and really just the personal audio preferences - and budget - make choice for this multi synergistic headphone. Try to do with a HE560. You will be struggling to find a good match for that, for good sound.

mobbaddict likes this.
  12. mobbaddict
    Thanks for the advice! I just switched to leather, will report my impressions later. But they do sound different indeed. Not sure which ones i prefer right now. I will try to regroup my detailed impressions later in another post :)

13. ParaLoganGrado
    Congrats!

mobbaddict likes this.
  14. Chris Kaoss
    Congrats and happy listening. :)
    Hours in hours. ^^

mobbaddict likes this.
  15. mobbaddict
    I worked remotely today as i knew they were going to be delivered and i could spend all day listening to them :beyersmile: I've been playing all kinds of music, they can sound ridiculously fun with some songs (these are the real Dr. Dre's Beats :L3000:).

Just switched again to velour pads and i think i like that combination much more. They sound thin and tiring to my ears on the long run with the leather pads. Also I find them a little bit too flat for my tastes, in terms of both sound signature and soundstage. Velour pads seem to turn them into a planar Stax O2 (I'm repeating myself but i was secretly hoping for that so this is like a revelation), with a much more massive bass-midrange and a smoothed out treble.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Chris Kaoss and trellus like this.
First

Back
34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
45 46 47 48
Next

Last