QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Nov 6, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #631 of 2,247
Nov 6, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #635 of 2,247
Get the Quad ERA-1 if you want flat, reference SD quality, that sounds a bit analytical and dry, and unhyped.
Otherwise, get the DCA- Aeon 2's.

Are you a musician?
do you record? need headphones as monitors? In that Case, the Quads, as i can't recommend Dan's new gear in the Studio, as i have not heard them yet.
Thanks for the response. I'm not a musician or a recording artist, I just like good sound. From what I've read on the QUAD's it sounds like a headphone I would like to try. The only DCA headphone I heard was the Ether 2's, which were vastly under powered knowing what I know now about them.

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #636 of 2,247
Thanks for the response. I'm not a musician or a recording artist, I just like good sound. From what I've read on the QUAD's it sounds like a headphone I would like to try. The only DCA headphone I heard was the Ether 2's, which were vastly under powered knowing what I know now about them.

Slim...or Full, if you happen to see this first...what was meant by 'SD quality'?

Nov 6, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #637 of 2,247

This will get you more info.....
This Mag is worth time spent there.
-
Quad ERA-1 Planar-Magnetic Headphone | The Absolute Sound
"""The ERA-1 offers better and deeper bass, equally subtle mids but with sharper transient attacks and broader dynamic capabilities, plus highs that consistently impress with their extension, clarity, and delicacy. In short, the ERA-1 now stands as one of the finest sub-$800 headphones that money can buy.""""

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #640 of 2,247
Damn you guys. I really can't afford a new set of cans (yet), but I've always wanted to try a planar and almost all of the descriptions make it sound like this is a great reference/starting point! Going to have to wait a few more months till I can even consider buying a pair haha. First things first, I need to get a better desktop amp.

Nov 7, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #642 of 2,247
Damn you guys. I really can't afford a new set of cans (yet), but I've always wanted to try a planar and almost all of the descriptions make it sound like this is a great reference/starting point! Going to have to wait a few more months till I can even consider buying a pair haha. First things first, I need to get a better desktop amp.

The thing with this headphone is that while it has few feedbacks and reviews overall, as compared to popular planar brands such as Audeze, ALL of them are unanimous about its quality. And on top of that it's a good portable headphone, which is pretty unique at this level unless you're ready to spend $4000 on a Lcd4z. Almost too good to be true... That's why i had to read this entire thread and all the reviews i found online to make sure it's not been overhyped by a few influencers. Apparently it's not... I'm ready to take the plunge myself, I'll know very soon.

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #643 of 2,247
The thing with this headphone is that while it has few feedbacks and reviews overall, as compared to popular planar brands such as Audeze, ALL of them are unanimous about its quality. And on top of that it's a good portable headphone, which is pretty unique at this level unless you're ready to spend $4000 on a Lcd4z. Almost too good to be true... That's why i had to read this entire thread and all the reviews i found online to make sure it's not been overhyped by a few influencers. Apparently it's not... I'm ready to take the plunge myself, I'll know very soon.

Please do. Right now, I am the last leg of Todd's Head-Fi Grado HF3 loaner program and they should be here in a couple weeks. I'm hoping I don't like them too much, because as much as I love the "Grado house sound", I would like to diversify and try a good planar. However, I have a soft spot for wood cans, especially ones that are as open as my GH2s...

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #644 of 2,247
Please do. Right now, I am the last leg of Todd's Head-Fi Grado HF3 loaner program and they should be here in a couple weeks. I'm hoping I don't like them too much, because as much as I love the "Grado house sound", I would like to diversify and try a good planar. However, I have a soft spot for wood cans, especially ones that are as open as my GH2s...

You could have the best of both worlds with a wooden LCD2 too :) Maybe not the most open planar though.
To me planars are the sweet spot between the effortless sound of electrostats and the presence of dynamics.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #645 of 2,247
Thank you for the clarification, it also makes perfect sense.
I've owned only one planar in the past that I wasn't fond of (the Thunderpants version of the Fostex TR50P) but the best headphones I've auditioned were almost all planars: the Abyss, Lcd4, Lcd2f... I loved the sound of these marvels and I'm a big believer of planar sound.
Also, is the Neumann a planar? I thought it was a dynamic headphone.

The Neumann NDH-20 has 38mm electrodynamic drivers, correct, it is not a planar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back