1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

QUAD ERA-1 Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by FastAndClean, Apr 24, 2018.
First

Back
32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
43 44
Next

Last
  1. iFi audio
    Many good audio products do, which is a patience lesson for us :ksc75smile:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ info@ifi-audio.com
  2. bagwell359
    Hi. I've been looking for a source of the ERA-1 lambskin angled pads. I tried the home site, but didn't get a response. Anybody got something?

TIA

3. Mhog55
    I'm also interested in purchasing the Quad angled pads for my Alara. Hopefully someone knows where to source these.

4. Slim1970
    Question for someone have the Quad Era-1's and the original Mr. Speakers Aeon. Would you get these or the new Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2's?

5. FullBright1
    Get the Quad ERA-1 if you want flat, reference SD quality, that sounds a bit analytical and dry, and unhyped.
    Otherwise, get the DCA- Aeon 2's.

Are you a musician?
    do you record? need headphones as monitors? In that Case, the Quads, as i can't recommend Dan's new gear in the Studio, as i have not heard them yet.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019 at 12:58 PM
    Slim1970 and mobbaddict like this.
  6. Chris Kaoss
    Uuuh.
    Very different signatures.
    I've demo'd the AFO and AFC on my journey to the Quads.
    Nice sounding headphone, but not as musical as the Era, imo.

It's hard to say which is better, but the Quad fits my taste very well.
    Comfort is a bit better on Aeon.

mobbaddict likes this.
  7. mobbaddict
    I'm in the same boat actually (also been considering the LCD1).

Would you care to elaborate on why they sound more musical to you?

Analytical and dry? I read many times that it's a fun headphone, don't you share this impression?

8. Chris Kaoss
    I'm not doing well describing sounds, but on the Era-1, the mids has something special.
    There's nothing emphazed on the Quads.
    It seems that the sound is created around the mids, this is where the music shines, imo.
    The treble is a bit recessed in comparison to, let's say the audezes i've heard.
    It's not a headphone to compete with others in terms of airy sound or slam in your lunges like a 12" sub.
    That's not the purpose of the Era-1, it's more to enjoy what you are listen to.

"The closest approach to the sound" isn't just a drivel of marketing to me.
    But where the music plays depends on the listener and the music itself, of course.

Sorry for my writing. ^^
    But it reflects just my views. :wink:

9. mobbaddict
    I hear you, I'm a midrange guy :) So you're talking about midrange musicality basically, which is something very special that did come up in several reviews of the Quads. It all makes sense. Thank you!
    On a sidenote, i would say the two best midrange headphones I've heard are the Sennheiser HE60 and the Sony CD900ST. Hopefully i can add the Quads to that list someday.

10. FullBright1
    Dry, as in trying to sound natural and not hyped.
    Insightful, balanced, nicely refined.
    Midrange is polished without being cold.
    Is it a "fun" sound? Sure. Its a warmer sounding Planar tone.
    Engineered to sound more like speakers would sound as headphones, vs, just trying to design a good headphone sound using Planar tech.
    One of the better gears to own if you have never heard Planar headphones before and are not biased about it.
    Many people can't stand a gear that does not sound like their favorite, and this one, is a very unique sounding Planar.
    The Neumann NDH-20 Planarss are also a set of well designed headphones that present a unique Planar sound.
    Different.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019 at 3:21 PM
    mobbaddict and Chris Kaoss like this.
  11. Chris Kaoss
    You're welcome.

But be aware of the size of the headband.
    It's not made for small heads and could be complicated for medium sized too.
    I've to attach a small amount of a foam pad, around 8mm thick, at the bottom of the headband to get them sit well.
    Doesn't look perfekt but you wouldn't take notice of it. :darthsmile:
    Anyway, it sounds fantastic to me.

mobbaddict likes this.
  12. mobbaddict
    Thank you for the clarification, it also makes perfect sense.
    I've owned only one planar in the past that I wasn't fond of (the Thunderpants version of the Fostex TR50P) but the best headphones I've auditioned were almost all planars: the Abyss, Lcd4, Lcd2f... I loved the sound of these marvels and I'm a big believer of planar sound.
    Also, is the Neumann a planar? I thought it was a dynamic headphone.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019 at 3:34 PM
    trellus likes this.
  13. mobbaddict
    Thank you for the warning, I've read about this issue but unfortunately it will be difficult for me to audition them before the purchase, so fingers crossed... My head isn't too small normally :)

Chris Kaoss likes this.
  14. mobbaddict
    Chris Kaoss likes this.
  15. Chris Kaoss
    Nice one.
    Really appreciate.
    Might be worth a closer look.
    Would fix the biggest issue on this headphone.
    Thanks a lot.

mobbaddict likes this.
First

Back
32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
43 44
Next

Last