QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Apr 24, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #481 of 2,247
On a few tracks, I'm used to, some of the distinct midrange notes in a particular song have almost disappeared!? Maybe because it's an open headphone... Tried some AHG pads I pulled all the way over the cups :-D Actually sounded better and the notes were back.
Thats interesting! I have not that many hours with them yet, but I noticed that the difference between the 2 supplied pairs are quite noticable.
But I think it would be an easy job to 3d print the plastic part that holds the ear pads to the frame and attach anything you like.

Apr 25, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #485 of 2,247
upgrade route seems to have no end. If only we all were awfully rich...

Yep. Like the Sony WM1Z. Or the A&R Ultima SP1000.
But atm I'm quite happy with my A&K jr. Except the laggy UI. But.. thats manageable..
tenor.gif

Apr 25, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #486 of 2,247
The upgrade route seems to have no end. If only we all were awfully rich...

I'm at odds with the concept that ......."Ok, sure....is sounds awful right out of the box, but, once we change everything except the driver, it'll sound great".
Or try this one... """Ok, there is no bass response, but, put in the treble filter screens, and bass will magically appear""".

For me, the craziest professional review of a headphone ever created was the one provided by the amazing TYLL, when he reviewed the Senn HD800-S
He was not even finished with the review, before he was describing what needed to be done (modded) to make them " sound better....."
""""See, if we want the new HD800-S to clone the Harman Target Curve..., then we need to slice into the cups with a sharp stainless steel blade, and insert the tube, and slowly pump in the Argon gel and 8kHz inhibiting Byzantine particles...""""
(face-palm).
Maybe its just my perspective, but, should i have to seriously mod a $1500 - $3500 to get it to sound its best?
Does Fang need me to mod his $6000.00 USD headphones so that they sound their best?.. Or should i just wait for v2?..........What ????
Is it possible that Headphone modding gone too FAR, is like the person in (Pink Floyd)(Syd) who took too much LSD, and went too FAR OUT< and could never find his way back?
Is that you and your headphones?......
I'm joking......:)
Sure, i'll upgrade cables, try different cables and change pads......but........ i'm done.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #487 of 2,247
The sound is super nice! Think planar Focal Clear and you are pretty much there.

I had auditioned the two back to back, and had ended up buying the Clears. They have different sonic signatures, in many ways. Mind you, I had to try many different songs and genres of music to me to be able to come up with pros and cons list for the two of them. There's songs I found fatiguing to listen to on the Clears, that I would have loved on a darker sounding headphone, or a warmer headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #489 of 2,247
Maybe its just my perspective, but, should i have to seriously mod a $1500 - $3500 to get it to sound its best?

Whatever it takes, right :ksc75smile: ? If a mod doesn't break a product, there's no harm in experimenting. It can be fun actually.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 30, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #494 of 2,247
Some companies are little more than mom and pop outfits, they don't have lots of time or other resources to maximize a given design. Price points, changes in the marketplace (like competitors hitting the market with a killer winner). I'm sure that the perfectionists cannot agree with issues of reality getting in the way of "what should be".

Look at HFM. Not a mom and pop. The HE-6 is what 9+ years old? The driver still destroys 99.8% of the drivers on the market. Like the HE-500 they stuck it in a crappy frame, gave zero thought to reflections, vibrations, back cover that distorts the sound, and even the wiring sucks. That's reality, not a perfectionists "should be". Those two products have been modded by thousands. I've followed some directions, worked out some of my own. My HE-500 is better for it.

Modification - other near synonyms: healing, improvement, enhancement. I get more for less. You should hear my floorstanders with the mods: ribbon tweeter, crossover (better caps, diff values), ASC tube traps, sound flags). Cost me $1100 on closeout, plus $2500 for the room treatments, ribbon, caps. Sounds like a $8k pair of speakers. Not possible in the land of the perfect products made by the perfect companies.

That's a mirage folks. The real world is full of compromise, laziness, and imperfection.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #495 of 2,247
When i got them out of the box the right driver didn't work. 10 min later it did, and I listened for like 6 hours and liked what I heard. Annnd the right driver seems to be out for good. Yay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back