QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jun 4, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #2,086 of 2,247
Can you take a picture of the plastic adapter by itself?

Any idea how we can make someone make some? 3D printing? I have asked some of the quality pad producers on AliExpress but they think the market is to small..
Here you go.
1000025304.jpg
1000025612.jpg
1000025613.jpg
1000025616.jpg
1000025614.jpg
1000025615.jpg

Jun 30, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #2,088 of 2,247
Hi guys, has anyone had this happen to their headband? If so, what would you imagine is the best way forward? An adhesive leather patch?

20230630_120037.jpg

Jun 30, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #2,090 of 2,247
Jun 30, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #2,092 of 2,247
Hi guys, has anyone had this happen to their headband? If so, what would you imagine is the best way forward? An adhesive leather patch?

20230630_120037.jpg
Ups.
This looks bad.
Now a headband cover makes much more sense. :see_no_evil:

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #2,093 of 2,247
Just joined the club today. I bought a used pair that will go out in the mail on Monday. Hoping to have them next weekend.

I am reading the thread right now and am on page 20.
My current planar's are HiFiman HE6se V2's and Nectar Sound Bee's.

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #2,094 of 2,247
Just joined the club today. I bought a used pair that will go out in the mail on Monday. Hoping to have them next weekend.

I am reading the thread right now and am on page 20.
My current planar's are HiFiman HE6se V2's and Nectar Sound Bee's.
oh interesting just got R70X and now getting planar R70X? I see you are a fan of this singnature.

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #2,095 of 2,247
oh interesting just got R70X and now getting planar R70X? I see you are a fan of this singnature.
Well, I am enjoying my time with the R70X's. They have pro's and con's.
I have also been looking at the ERA-1's for a few years.
I wouldn't think that their signatures would be similar at all. But next weekend should tell the truth.

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #2,096 of 2,247

20230630_120037.jpg
Have you got an Auto upholsterer nearby ?
Some have experience in leather steering wheel recovering, a hand stitched real leather headband would be nice … 😃

Jul 9, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #2,097 of 2,247
After some serious Grado listening time last night, now it was time for some Qua(d)lity lazy Sunday afternoon listening time as well...

20230709_121344.jpg

Wonderful (analogue, deep bass and holographic soundstage) synergy to my ears. I think I've never enjoyed Mr. Cale's sweet sounding music as much as right now :)

Hi guys, has anyone had this happen to their headband?

Yeah, that inner part of the headband certainly seems to be a real Quad quality 'soft spot'. Mine was also already a bit damaged there when I picked it up in the classifieds, but the seller was totally honest about that (also with pics) beforehand => not a problem for me at that time. As the Era-1 was a bit too big (and therefor uncomfortable resting on the top of my ears) for my, I guess average sized, head. I picked up this large headband cover: https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Installation-Compatible-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B0993NBFCR

So, now the inner part of the headband is protected and the Era-1 feels/stays way more comfortable on my (still average sized :sweat_smile:) head. Beware, I also have the medium sized cover version over here, but that one didn't fit on the Quad => ended up on my Denon.

Hey, great to see you here! I think I was also influenced by you, when I picked up the Grado GH2 earlier this year and I'm still grateful for that advise!

I'm curious what you will think about the Era-1 once it has arrived. And please make sure that you'll also give it some 'tube amp' time later on :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #2,098 of 2,247
After some serious Grado listening time last night, now it was time for some Qua(d)lity lazy Sunday afternoon listening time as well...

20230709_121344.jpg

Wonderful (analogue, deep bass and holographic soundstage) synergy to my ears. I think I've never enjoyed Mr. Cale's sweet sounding music as much as right now :)

Yeah, that inner part of the headband certainly seems to be a real Quad quality 'soft spot'. Mine was also already a bit damaged there when I picked it up in the classifieds, but the seller was totally honest about that (also with pics) beforehand => not a problem for me at that time. As the Era-1 was a bit too big (and therefor uncomfortable resting on the top of my ears) for my, I guess average sized, head. I picked up this large headband cover: https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Installation-Compatible-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B0993NBFCR

So, now the inner part of the headband is protected and the Era-1 feels/stays way more comfortable on my (still average sized :sweat_smile:) head. Beware, I also have the medium sized cover version over here, but that one didn't fit on the Quad => ended up on my Denon.

Hey, great to see you here! I think I was also influenced by you, when I picked up the Grado GH2 earlier this year and I'm still grateful for that advise!

I'm curious what you will think about the Era-1 once it has arrived. And please make sure that you'll also give it some 'tube amp' time later on :wink:
I am still reading the thread (on page 50) and have seen a few references to the Focal Clear. I think I will go back to those tomorrow and wear them for the week. Then roll straight into the ERA-1's.

Just recently I went from GH2's to HD660S2's and the transition was jarring, to say the least.

Congrats on picking up the GH2's! My favourite two 'phones are the GH2's and OG Focal Clear's.

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #2,099 of 2,247
My favourite two 'phones are the GH2's and OG Focal Clear's.

When I use my desktop set-up it highly depends on the amp that I use. The amps are connected to a Burson Swing dac with a combination of V6 Vivid & Classic opamps inside. Crazy good performance considering its very reasonable pricetag imo.

With the TEAC HA-501, the GH2 sounds best to my ears. But with the Violectric V100 and the above shown tube amp I would slightly prefer the Era-1.
Straight from my semi-portable ACRO CA1000, the Grado PS500 (original edition) would be my #1 choice though!

It's always good to have different synergy options to choose from I guess. That way every single listening session remains an audio adventure in itself :)

Looking forward to your Era-1 impressions later on....

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #2,100 of 2,247
When I use my desktop set-up it highly depends on the amp that I use. The amps are connected to a Burson Swing dac with a combination of V6 Vivid & Classic opamps inside. Crazy good performance considering its very reasonable pricetag imo.

With the TEAC HA-501, the GH2 sounds best to my ears. But with the Violectric V100 and the above shown tube amp I would slightly prefer the Era-1.
Straight from my semi-portable ACRO CA1000, the Grado PS500 (original edition) would be my #1 choice though!

It's always good to have different synergy options to choose from I guess. That way every single listening session remains an audio adventure in itself :)

Looking forward to your Era-1 impressions later on....
Hopefully by the weekend.:fingers_crossed:
My system is a Schiit BF2 feeding:
1) IFi Pro iCAN
2) Violectric V220
3) Schiit Valhalla 2
4) Little Dot MK9

Looking forward to the ERA-1's!

IMG_20230421_170726373~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back