QUAD ERA-1 Thread
May 23, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #2,071 of 2,247
They never replied. I will take that as a "We don't deal with public." :smile:
Damn, I started looking at those wood closed-backs. Telefunken used 'em when they released an anniversary headphone.

May 27, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #2,072 of 2,247
Just checking in after using my Quad’s for several months. Still think they are fantastic and the fact that I split my listening time equally between them and my Utopias is high praise.

But I can’t make ‘em work with the hybrid pads, no matter what. Leather pads and eq all the way for me :L3000:
Spoke too soon, leather pads aren’t perfect either…

Quad should have a pad in between the angled leather pad and the flat hybrid. Just sayin’ :wink:

May 27, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #2,073 of 2,247
Despite i don't use software EQ, it would be great to have other options for physical EQ , like ZMF pad swaps.

If the time is on my side, i'll try to make it happen with my ZMF universe pads or the newly acquired Caldera Ultra perf pads.

Therefore I've to cut the hybrids, bc i never used these pads and don't like suede pads on my skin. ^^
Hope that the pad size of the ZMFs will fit the mounting brackets. :fingers_crossed:

Never tired of listening to the Quads. :)

May 27, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #2,075 of 2,247
Despite i don't use software EQ, it would be great to have other options for physical EQ , like ZMF pad swaps.

If the time is on my side, i'll try to make it happen with my ZMF universe pads or the newly acquired Caldera Ultra perf pads.

Therefore I've to cut the hybrids, bc i never used these pads and don't like suede pads on my skin. ^^
Hope that the pad size of the ZMFs will fit the mounting brackets. :fingers_crossed:

Never tired of listening to the Quads. :)
Oooh you might just got the perfect pads with the Caldera, you should definitely try them on the quads and let us know how they work :)

May 27, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #2,076 of 2,247
The leather pads would be perfect with the dimensions of the hybrid pads. Their thickness adds a bit of bloat IMO.
I'm with you on the slight bloat with the leather pads. I always felt the leather added a bit of volume and lost a bit of resolution in the lower end. I've been happy with the hybrid pads. Totally addictive listening!

May 27, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #2,077 of 2,247
I'm with you on the slight bloat with the leather pads. I always felt the leather added a bit of volume and lost a bit of resolution in the lower end. I've been happy with the hybrid pads. Totally addictive listening!
The hybrids are good but they would be even better if fully perforated on both sides :) This improves transparency quite a bit. Personally I find the hybrids a bit hot in the upper mid-range/lower treble.

May 28, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #2,078 of 2,247
The hybrids are good but they would be even better if fully perforated on both sides :) This improves transparency quite a bit. Personally I find the hybrids a bit hot in the upper mid-range/lower treble.
You’re on the same page as Focal:

During the development process, we also did a lot of benchmark testing and found out that all the headphones equipped with leather cushions only ensure a good performance from low to mid frequencies. However they always have problems in term of linearity in the upper part of the spectrum (from 1 to 10kHz).

To avoid reflections from the cushion and to obtain a very flat frequency response curve from 1 to 10kHz, a fabric featuring micro punched holes is used inside the cushion to fine tune the absorption ratio, resulting in an impressively flat frequency response from upper mid to high frequencies.

Source: ”Utopia & Elear Whitepaper”, Focal

May 28, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #2,079 of 2,247
You’re on the same page as Focal:

During the development process, we also did a lot of benchmark testing and found out that all the headphones equipped with leather cushions only ensure a good performance from low to mid frequencies. However they always have problems in term of linearity in the upper part of the spectrum (from 1 to 10kHz).

To avoid reflections from the cushion and to obtain a very flat frequency response curve from 1 to 10kHz, a fabric featuring micro punched holes is used inside the cushion to fine tune the absorption ratio, resulting in an impressively flat frequency response from upper mid to high frequencies.

Source: ”Utopia & Elear Whitepaper”, Focal
Interesting, thanks. I was going to mention ZMF website which also features explanations about earpads sonics but this is even more detailed. Just for fun recently I've modded a pair of semi perforated earpads I have and added perforations on the exterior side and the difference was quite obvious with planars. It's like the sound is compressed when it has no way to escape the earpad chamber. But then of course you might lose a bit of bass impact once you fully perforated it, so it's always a matter of compromise.

May 28, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #2,080 of 2,247
Any interest in eq? To me there is a ”hole” in the midrange and trying to correct that (with hybrid pads) by using eq.

My preference is cutting fq:s but boosting seems to be the norm in many profiles… I’ll gladly share ”work in progress” if there is any interest in working together. Otherwise I’ll stay away from the subject of eq in this thread :wink:

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #2,081 of 2,247
Any interest in eq? To me there is a ”hole” in the midrange and trying to correct that (with hybrid pads) by using eq.

My preference is cutting fq:s but boosting seems to be the norm in many profiles… I’ll gladly share ”work in progress” if there is any interest in working together. Otherwise I’ll stay away from the subject of eq in this thread :wink:
Yes cutting the lower treble does the trick for me... I know the mid-range is not exactly neutral on the quad but it's fine, it has a nice laid-back tone. The treble is what bothers me sometimes. What's your equalizer setting?

May 28, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #2,082 of 2,247
Trying to figure out where to cut or boost (Hz) and how wide (Q) so a little heavy on gain (DB):

Preamp: -3.8 dB
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 36.50 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 0.069
Filter 2: ON LSC Fc 37.5 Hz Gain 0.9 dB Q 4
Filter 3: ON LSC Fc 56.0 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 1.49
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 171 Hz Gain -3.3 dB Q 0.510
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1048.0 Hz Gain -6.2 dB Q 2.03
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2187.0 Hz Gain 2.9 dB Q 0.9
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 6178 Hz Gain -4.3 dB Q 6.00
Filter 8: ON HSC Fc 10000.0 Hz Gain -6.2 dB Q 0.70

Main goal is to improve tonal balance by adding ”presence” and cutting down on treble energy.

Edit: And I love solid bass :L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #2,083 of 2,247
Just got these and i am amazed at how they sound. Great detail, great tonal balance, great bass extension 🙂🙂 Exceptional value..

Getting my refurbished LCD-X back soon with all updates. Looking forward to compare.
I remember really liking the LCD-X when I demoed them years ago, but that was before I had the Quads. Would love to hear your comparisons.

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #2,084 of 2,247
Pad swap has started. :)

Still in the evaluation phase.

Stripped of the Quad Hybrid Pads to attach the

ZMF Caldera Lambskin ultra perforated
ZMF Universe Lambskin perforated

Pictures with Caldera Pads

1000025339.jpg

1000025345.jpg
1000025324.jpg

Space for ears are much improved. ^^

Compared to the Quad pads and Caldera Pads, the Universe pads are a hugh jump in comfort.
It's like soft pillows on the head.
Amazing. :heart_eyes:

Will report sound impressions soon.
Stay tuned. :)

Edit a fault.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back