Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Nov 17, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #961 of 2,153
I think that’s a current limitation of Audirvana’s Qobuz player, I noticed that too. Hopefully, Audirvana will address this limitation in a software update.

Thanks! After your confirmation I posted the issue on the Audirvana support forums.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #962 of 2,153
I found six albums by The Sheepdogs, plus a few tracks that appear on compilations (not shown here).

The app's search feature recently changed a lot, very much improved, so I'm not sure how to answer your question about that.

That's crazy! I would have stuck with them had they had those albums available and if I found similar results on other artists. Wondering why when I search I can't locate Future Nostalgia, The Way It Is, or Changing Colors. I should have kept my trial last week but cancelled it. Makes no sense why these albums didn't pull up. That is frustrating.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #963 of 2,153
That's crazy! I would have stuck with them had they had those albums available and if I found similar results on other artists. Wondering why when I search I can't locate Future Nostalgia, The Way It Is, or Changing Colors. I should have kept my trial last week but cancelled it. Makes no sense why these albums didn't pull up. That is frustrating.

Maybe those albums weren't there last week. Qobuz has been regularly uploading large new batches of albums, as new deals with labels are completed.

futurenostalgia.jpg

Nov 18, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #964 of 2,153
Maybe those albums weren't there last week. Qobuz has been regularly uploading large new batches of albums, as new deals with labels are completed.

Well, I have to say I was wrong about Qobuz. I am downloading a ton today to my Offline Library and will A/B compare this week on the favorite albums of mine. Only a few albums I can't find that I have on Tidal. Maybe I switch? We'll see. If the sound is better but selection not quite I will likely switch. If the sound is equivalent then I won't. A few titles from Cross Canadian Ragweed aren't there ( I know they're not from Canada...). lol

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #965 of 2,153
Well, I have to say I was wrong about Qobuz. I am downloading a ton today to my Offline Library and will A/B compare this week on the favorite albums of mine. Only a few albums I can't find that I have on Tidal. Maybe I switch? We'll see. If the sound is better but selection not quite I will likely switch. If the sound is equivalent then I won't. A few titles from Cross Canadian Ragweed aren't there ( I know they're not from Canada...). lol

It's worth another look. The head of Qobuz USA says they've been adding 10,000 albums a day!

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #966 of 2,153
There is one Blackberry Smoke album they don't have and they need to get it. Dealbreaker! LOL. We'll see how it sounds compared to Tidal. I have found albums that are HiRes on Qobuz and CD quality on Tidal. Should be fun. Worth an extra $15 just to experiment.

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #967 of 2,153
There is one Blackberry Smoke album they don't have and they need to get it. Dealbreaker! LOL. We'll see how it sounds compared to Tidal. I have found albums that are HiRes on Qobuz and CD quality on Tidal. Should be fun. Worth an extra $15 just to experiment.
Which Blackberry Smoke? Pls include album title so we check into it.

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #969 of 2,153
@dmackta is it possible to check with your guys to see what the story is on Qobuz availability in Czech Republic? The "Qobuz is not yet available in your country" page has been up for a long time here.

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #970 of 2,153
Did a sound comparison on several sets of IEMs and headphones. Didn't run through my desktop, just through LG V30. Only have a Dragonfly Black for a DAC on the Windows system. Sounds are comparable between Masters and HiRes. CD quality compared to Hifi on Tidal I give the edge to Qobuz. The HiRes and Masters, although close, I would say Tidal is 'warmer' and Qobuz clearer and an itsy bit more detailed. Some Qobuz tracks can come off a bit harsher than Tidal Masters but not often. Qobuz is technically buggy, as it was last year when I used it for a month. A whole bunch of albums would produce static in the right channel while playing the song at double speed. Last night I had given up on Qobuz. This morning I went to see if the same albums had the problem from the night before and they did not. So, I don't know if it was Qobuz or my phone. Never had the problem before with my phone or with Tidal so assumed it was Qobuz. Going to continue with the trial and leaning towards Qobuz. Qobuz fills up my disk space/SD card and Tidal doesn't. Egde to Tidal but I am going to buy larger SD cards soon and I will be just fine.

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #971 of 2,153
Did a sound comparison on several sets of IEMs and headphones. Didn't run through my desktop, just through LG V30. Only have a Dragonfly Black for a DAC on the Windows system. Sounds are comparable between Masters and HiRes. CD quality compared to Hifi on Tidal I give the edge to Qobuz. The HiRes and Masters, although close, I would say Tidal is 'warmer' and Qobuz clearer and an itsy bit more detailed. Some Qobuz tracks can come off a bit harsher than Tidal Masters but not often. Qobuz is technically buggy, as it was last year when I used it for a month. A whole bunch of albums would produce static in the right channel while playing the song at double speed. Last night I had given up on Qobuz. This morning I went to see if the same albums had the problem from the night before and they did not. So, I don't know if it was Qobuz or my phone. Never had the problem before with my phone or with Tidal so assumed it was Qobuz. Going to continue with the trial and leaning towards Qobuz. Qobuz fills up my disk space/SD card and Tidal doesn't. Egde to Tidal but I am going to buy larger SD cards soon and I will be just fine.

I highly recommend the UAPP app for both services. It will take full advantage of the quad DAC in your V30. You don't even need to buy the MQA plugin for UAPP.

The official Tidal app only uses the V30 quad DAC for Masters. The official apps from Tidal, Qobuz, and all the other services send other music files through the standard Android system, where it gets resampled to one sample rate, 16/48 or whatever rate the manufacturer selects.

If Qobuz Hi-Res still sounds just as good as Tidal Masters to you even on Android without UAPP, well, that tells you all you need to know about MQA.

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #972 of 2,153
I highly recommend the UAPP app for both services. It will take full advantage of the quad DAC in your V30. You don't even need to buy the MQA plugin for UAPP.

The official Tidal app only uses the V30 quad DAC for Masters. The official apps from Tidal, Qobuz, and all the other services send other music files through the standard Android system, where it gets resampled to one sample rate, 16/48 or whatever rate the manufacturer selects.

If Qobuz Hi-Res still sounds just as good as Tidal Masters to you even on Android without UAPP, well, that tells you all you need to know about MQA.
I'm confused by the UAPP endorsement. You're saying my Quad Dac is NOT on even though the phone says it is 'on' when streaming from Tidal or Qobuz? I did purchase the UAPP app and when it loaded on the phone it says it will kick on the Quad Dac on CD quality music automatically? Why does my phone say the Quad DAC is 'on' when it really isn't? When I listen to tracks pre-UAPP and turn the DAC on and off I hear no difference. Feel really stupid. I assume my phone sounded better than others when if what I'm understanding it really isn't unless it's a HiRes file and Quad Dac is actually 'on' and working whereas it may say it's on but it really isn't on anything less than HiRes. This is a rabbit hole of a hobby. I should buy a nice DAP and go back to a stupid iPhone

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #973 of 2,153
I'm confused by the UAPP endorsement. You're saying my Quad Dac is NOT on even though the phone says it is 'on' when streaming from Tidal or Qobuz? I did purchase the UAPP app and when it loaded on the phone it says it will kick on the Quad Dac on CD quality music automatically? Why does my phone say the Quad DAC is 'on' when it really isn't? When I listen to tracks pre-UAPP and turn the DAC on and off I hear no difference. Feel really stupid. I assume my phone sounded better than others when if what I'm understanding it really isn't unless it's a HiRes file and Quad Dac is actually 'on' and working whereas it may say it's on but it really isn't on anything less than HiRes. This is a rabbit hole of a hobby. I should buy a nice DAP and go back to a stupid iPhone

Now that you have UAPP you're all set. It will bypass the system software issues that prevent the official Tidal and Qobuz apps from operating at peak performance, with the Quad DAC or an external DAC.

There is no iOS app like UAPP, so I suggest you stick with Android. You've got a fantastic phone, and now you've got one of the best music apps to go with it. Peak performance is not about whether that fantastic Quad DAC is on, but whether it's receiving a pure signal. With UAPP, done deal.

The issues I mentioned are not always audible to everyone at all times, and certainly not as audible as the gain settings that change depending on what IEMs you plug in, but for an audiophile all that system resampling is sacrilege! :)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #974 of 2,153
Now that you have UAPP you're all set. It will bypass the system software issues that prevent the official Tidal and Qobuz apps from operating at peak performance, with the Quad DAC or an external DAC.

There is no iOS app like UAPP, so I suggest you stick with Android. You've got a fantastic phone, and now you've got one of the best music apps to go with it. Peak performance is not about whether that fantastic Quad DAC is on, but whether it's receiving a pure signal. With UAPP, done deal.

The issues I mentioned are not always audible to everyone at all times, and certainly not as audible as the gain settings that change depending on what IEMs you plug in, but for an audiophile all that system resampling is sacrilege! :)
I think I follow but let me ask one thing - with UAPP does it matter which phone DAC I have as long as it is Android? When you say 'whether the Quad Dac is on isn't relevant, it's about receiving a pure signal which UAPP delivers does that mean the LG QD is not on or is being utilized or that it doesn't matter either way?

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #975 of 2,153
I think I follow but let me ask one thing - with UAPP does it matter which phone DAC I have as long as it is Android? When you say 'whether the Quad Dac is on isn't relevant, it's about receiving a pure signal which UAPP delivers does that mean the LG QD is not on or is being utilized or that it doesn't matter either way?

No, I'm saying the Quad DAC you have in your phone is top-tier, and UAPP ensures you get the most out of it. With most Android phones, you'd need an external DAC to get similar performance, but again you'd need UAPP to get the most out of that too. (I did not use the word "relevant", and what I was trying to clarify is that what I'm discussing here is only this: resampling by the operating system, which is bypassed by UAPP to ensure the DAC receives the best signal.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back