Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Nov 14, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #946 of 2,156
I found Qobuz's mac app is problematic. Every track will pause for about half a second in the beginning when data is presumably loading. It's definitely not a bandwidth issue because I had no problem with the webplayer. And my bandwidth is nearly 1Gbps.

Nov 14, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #947 of 2,156
I found Qobuz's mac app is problematic. Every track will pause for about half a second in the beginning when data is presumably loading. It's definitely not a bandwidth issue because I had no problem with the webplayer. And my bandwidth is nearly 1Gbps.

On Windows, at the beginning of some tracks the app skips ahead a few seconds. Not on every album, but on some albums all the way through. I see this most often on my slowest computer, so it must be related to how the app works on the PC, and has nothing to do with bandwidth. I'm not sure the issue you're seeing is the same, unless it also skips ahead a little bit, but either way it will be helpful if you inform Qobuz Support.

Nov 15, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #948 of 2,156
With the new pricing for Qobuz at $15/month, I am seriously considering joining. Since I’m a Prime member, I can get its CD/Hi Res service for two bucks less, but Audirvana doesn’t support Amazon.

Does anyone else use Audirvana on their Mac with Qobuz? If so, any issues I should be aware of? I know I can get the trial, but I’m reluctant these days to give my information out unless I know I will use a service.

Qobuz claims it has over 200,000 hi res titles available for streaming, is everyone happy with the genres supported?

Thanks for any impressions ...

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #949 of 2,156
My acc logged in on 2 devices.
Registered at 25€ price point but it is a free of charge.
2 months of use but no bill was made.
It's strange.
Logout on one device then relogin but when loggin, it became other acc.
It means one email but two acc exist.

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #950 of 2,156
With the new pricing for Qobuz at $15/month, I am seriously considering joining. Since I’m a Prime member, I can get its CD/Hi Res service for two bucks less, but Audirvana doesn’t support Amazon.

Does anyone else use Audirvana on their Mac with Qobuz? If so, any issues I should be aware of? I know I can get the trial, but I’m reluctant these days to give my information out unless I know I will use a service.

Qobuz claims it has over 200,000 hi res titles available for streaming, is everyone happy with the genres supported?

Thanks for any impressions ...

On another forum I've seen many posts by users of Audirvana and Qobuz. They seem very happy. The only problems I recall are bugs that existed on the official Qobuz app as well, and were simply reduplicated by Audirvana. Those issues have since been fixed.

As far as genres go, Qobuz has long been strongest on audiophile favorites like jazz and classical, but they have been growing the catalog of other genres. Some pop/rock/metal fans were initially not happy, but I've seen fewer complaints lately.

The overall USA catalog started out smaller than European catalogs, but since then the Qobuz USA team have been signing US licensing agreements with the labels at a rapid clip and the catalog has vastly improved.

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #951 of 2,156
I prefer the interface of the Qobuz app over Audirvana 3.5.1 but the Qobuz app still hangs up and distorts occasionally on my laptop. Happened to me last night: required a restart. I have never had a problem streaming Qobuz through Audirvana+ up to the new 3.5.1 on Windows 10. May be my laptop, but the fact that Audirvana has always been stable suggests Qobuz still has a buggy desktop app. It is much better than it used to be though. And the catalog is noticeably better.

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #952 of 2,156
Moving this discussion from the Amazon thread.
If you're willing, could you see if Qobuz has the following artists? They weren't there when I originally trialed:

The Aristocrats (The Govan/Beller/Minnemann version, not the older band)
Scale the Summit
Opeth

Modern prog prog/fusion was a pretty big gap.

Much appreciated!

Here's what I found. Has the catalog improved since you last looked?

aristocrats.jpg

scalethesummit.jpg

opeth1.jpg

opeth2.jpg

opeth3.jpg

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #953 of 2,156
Moving this discussion from the Amazon thread.

Here's what I found. Has the catalog improved since you last looked?

Opeth and Scale the Summit are now there which is great. Still missing The Aristocrats

Thanks for taking the time to check! I’ll probably sign up for a trial again (if possible) or a month to deep dive into the catalog again. With Roon, it’s easy to see what’s available on Tidal and Qobuz with a single search.

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #954 of 2,156
I decided to join up. Qobuz works fine with my MacBook Air/Audirvana and loading works perfectly. It does not work with my AK240SS even though Qobuz is listed in its Store menu; the firmware hasn’t been updated in too long a time, and will likely never be.

I like it better than Tidal which I tried out for 6 months when it first released MQA recordings.

I don’t have Roon, so I do like the album info inclusion with Qobuz’s player which is also available on Audirvana’s Qobuz player.

I wanted to hear one of my favorite albums, Peter Gabriel’s Passion, in high res, but though the album was listed as such, it played at 16/44.1. The other Gabriel albums played at 24/96.

I’ll have more to say once I get used to navigating the player. I do wish you could sort only hi res albums which is what I’m most interested in—200,000 titles!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #955 of 2,156
I wanted to hear one of my favorite albums, Peter Gabriel’s Passion, in high res, but though the album was listed as such, it played at 16/44.1.

That album is playing at 24/96 here. I think the app briefly reported 16/44.1 at the beginning of the first track before changing to 24/96, but now I can't reproduce that even when I restart and play the album from the beginning again.

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #956 of 2,156
That album is playing at 24/96 here. I think the app briefly reported 16/44.1 at the beginning of the first track before changing to 24/96, but now I can't reproduce that even when I restart and play the album from the beginning again.

Thank you for your post. I’ll check it out again.

Sometimes when I am writing, I use Passion as background music and find it helps me through the process. Truly amazing album. So happy Gabriel’s entire catalog is now in hi res. Next one up for hi res is Pink Floyd, I hope.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #957 of 2,156
Using Qobuz with LG V30.
Contacted Qobuz because I could not stream music, only able to listen to offline playlists. I had this message " It's impossible to play this track. Thank you for trying another playback format or a different track." No track could be played, whatever the format. Had to remove app, installed it again. It worked for a few days.
Now I can't listen to offline playlists! Same message. I am only able to get a few playlists from My Qobuz on Wifi . No issues with Tidal or Amazon.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #958 of 2,156
So I just realized the Qobuz app on OS X uses CoreAudio and doesn't have exclusive access of the audio device. However, the Qobuz app does change to the correct output sample rate as required but it doesn't revert it to the original setting after quitting. ...In hindsight I feel I was a little hasty in passing judgement on the Amazon Music app.

Also, in Audirvana 3.5, does anyone know how to sort Qobuz "Favorites" by artist? The sort pull-down menu does nothing in the Tracks view and isn't even present in the Album view. (The sort pull-down menu works as expected when viewing Tidal's "My Music").

Nov 17, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #959 of 2,156
That is interesting. I was looking at The Sheepdogs and one other that Tidal has almost all albums. I appreciate the offer to help. Not sure why I wouldn't be able to find an artist by typing in their name. Is there a way to find more releases of an artist when the first search only shows two albums?

I found six albums by The Sheepdogs, plus a few tracks that appear on compilations (not shown here).

The app's search feature recently changed a lot, very much improved, so I'm not sure how to answer your question about that.

thesheepdogs.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #960 of 2,156
Also, in Audirvana 3.5, does anyone know how to sort Qobuz "Favorites" by artist? The sort pull-down menu does nothing in the Tracks view and isn't even present in the Album view. (The sort pull-down menu works as expected when viewing Tidal's "My Music").

I think that’s a current limitation of Audirvana’s Qobuz player, I noticed that too. Hopefully, Audirvana will address this limitation in a software update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back