QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #1,997 of 2,715
Little is found in the QDC 8 network in general. Even less than the QDC 8SS (study). I wanted to know if anyone had listened to them. Or maybe even the QDC 8 SL (Live). Thanks

My rambling on the 8SL, excreted from my mind just for you:

Using the double-flanged tips is mandatory as the 8SL incorporates the resonant ear canal peak into the tuning, making the timbre sound like plasticky garbage (read: like the Solaris) without deep insertion, although the single-flange makes the soundstage very wide by IEM standards.

Overall sound signature is a more neutral-ish variation on the fun mainstream chi-fi V-shape (thin-ish lower mids, boosted bass and treble).

Bass is boosted above what I'd consider neutral but is on the low end of consumer mainstream. VX is what I'd consider neutral, which is difference #1. I actively avoid esoteric tunings that would make your non-audiophile friend complain about the sound being boring, so I personally consider that a plus. Bass quality is the meh you'd expect from BA bass, lacking the meaty, speaker-like thump and sub-bass rumble you get from DD IEMs or the U12t. It's not at the level where I can't recommend it for electronic, but the U12t's meatier bass makes it better for the genre. Upper bass is a bit muddy, too (by TOTL standards).

Midrange balance is Harman-ish, thinner-than-neutral lower mids but with milder upper mids, adding depth and removing the harshness for people who find the likes of Moondrop unpleasantly shouty. Some of the best midrange resolution I've heard, slightly less than the VX and U12t but ahead of the pre-2020 CA Andromeda, Moondrop A8, and Fearless S8P.

Treble tuning with lower treble dip + mid- and upper treble boost adds definition, but makes the timbre sound softer than natural (difference #2 from the sharper VX), though I think it's at still at a level where few people would dislike it, makes cymbal decay sound a bit too long, and adds an odd crispness at the top, though non-sticklers probably won't mind that, either. Audio quality is more dependent on the source music than with the likes of the pre-2020 Andros, U12t, or other chi-fi; you really want music with >10 kHz present. Upper treble might be a bit zingier than the U12t and can get fatiguing after several hours if you're listening to music that has boosted upper treble (read: modern pop).

Vocal balance: male vocals sound a bit thick and reasonably forward, pretty nice for rock, but female vocals sound more distant and lacking in presence than ideal because of the thin lower mids and boosted upper bass, hurting intelligibility a bit. Not bad to the extent that I can't recommend it for pop, though, unlike with the A8 where certain vocals seemed to blend into the rest of the music.

Stereo imaging isn't pinpoint like the U12t but sounds more natural, not hazy or blurry. Great instrument separation even by over-ear standards, though it still falls significantly short of the HD800S. Would very much recommend for orchestral classical. However, bass imaging has an odd forwardness to it, as if drums were ahead of other instruments. Soundstage has reasonably good depth and extends to 1.2 head widths to my ears; a benefit of the boosted upper bass. Wider than the VX, difference #3. It would probably sound wider to the average person.

Overall, I'd call it a safe all-rounder pick. I'd put it somewhere between A+ and S- on the Crinacle chart (edit: I don't know if anyone cares, but I'd rank U12t at S+, Anole VX at S/S-, A8 and pre-2020 Andromeda at A, JVC HA-FDX1 and S8P at A-, Solaris at B+, MH755 at B, FiiO F9 Pro at C+/B-. I guess I can recommend the 8SL if you can get it for the $750-$900 used rate, but not at MSRP unless money is no object for you or you really like its tuning, as you could just get a used U12t at $1400.

edit: There's a little bit of hollowness with vocals on the QDCs that isn't there on the U12t with its crisp lower treble, while the latter can get slightly more sibilant at times.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #1,999 of 2,715

Using the double-flanged tips is mandatory as the 8SL incorporates the resonant ear canal peak into the tuning, making the timbre sound like plasticky garbage (read: like the Solaris) without deep insertion, although the single-flange makes the soundstage very wide by IEM standards.

Overall sound signature is a more neutral-ish variation on the fun mainstream chi-fi V-shape (thin-ish lower mids, boosted bass and treble).

Bass is boosted above what I'd consider neutral but is on the low end of consumer mainstream. VX is what I'd consider neutral, which is difference #1. I actively avoid esoteric tunings that would make your non-audiophile friend complain about the sound being boring, so I personally consider that a plus. Bass quality is the meh you'd expect from BA bass, lacking the meaty, speaker-like thump and sub-bass rumble you get from DD IEMs or the U12t. It's not at the level where I can't recommend it for electronic, but the U12t's meatier bass makes it better for the genre. Upper bass is a bit muddy, too (by TOTL standards).

Midrange balance is Harman-ish, thinner-than-neutral lower mids but with milder upper mids, adding depth and removing the harshness for people who find the likes of Moondrop unpleasantly shouty. Some of the best midrange resolution I've heard, slightly less than the VX and U12t but ahead of the pre-2020 CA Andromeda, Moondrop A8, and Fearless S8P.

Treble tuning with lower treble dip + mid- and upper treble boost adds definition, but makes the timbre sound softer than natural (difference #2 from the sharper VX), though I think it's at still at a level where few people would dislike it, makes cymbal decay sound a bit too long, and adds an odd crispness at the top, though non-sticklers probably won't mind that, either. Audio quality is more dependent on the source music than with the likes of the pre-2020 Andros, U12t, or other chi-fi; you really want music with >10 kHz present. Upper treble might be a bit zingier than the U12t and can get fatiguing after several hours if you're listening to music that has boosted upper treble (read: modern pop).

Vocal balance: male vocals sound a bit thick and reasonably forward, pretty nice for rock, but female vocals sound more distant and lacking in presence than ideal because of the thin lower mids and boosted upper bass, hurting intelligibility a bit. Not bad to the extent that I can't recommend it for pop, though, unlike with the A8 where certain vocals seemed to blend into the rest of the music.

Stereo imaging isn't pinpoint like the U12t but sounds more natural, not hazy or blurry. Great instrument separation even by over-ear standards, though it still falls significantly short of the HD800S. Would very much recommend for orchestral classical. However, bass imaging has an odd forwardness to it, as if drums were ahead of other instruments. Soundstage has reasonably good depth and extends to 1.2 head widths to my ears; a benefit of the boosted upper bass. Wider than the VX, difference #3. It would probably sound wider to the average person.

Overall, I'd call it a safe all-rounder pick. I'd put it somewhere between A+ and S- on the Crinacle chart (edit: I don't know if anyone cares, but I'd rank U12t at S+, Anole VX at S/S-, A8 and pre-2020 Andromeda at A, JVC HA-FDX1 and S8P at A-, Solaris at B+, MH755 at B, FiiO F9 Pro at C+/B-. I guess I can recommend the 8SL if you can get it for the $750-$900 used rate, but not at MSRP unless money is no object for you or you really like its tuning, as you could just get a used U12t at $1400.

edit: There's a little bit of hollowness with vocals on the QDCs that isn't there on the U12t with its crisp lower treble, while the latter can get slightly more sibilant at times.

First of all THANK YOU very much for writing your opinion. I would like to buy Tansio Mirai 8 Space. But I was also evaluating QDC 8SS. I prefer the slightly analytical sound with a fast, contained and very controlled low range. I like the detail and for all these reasons I had noticed the 8SS more than the 8SL or SH. But the setting should be the same or at least very similar. Then being a "studio" it should be a little brighter, fluid with not so much fleshiness. Do you think I like it for all the features I wrote? I don't like warm sound and I don't listen like a real hifi listener. But I have moved a little towards studio, professional, recording sound ... to make you understand.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #2,000 of 2,715
First of all THANK YOU very much for writing your opinion. I would like to buy Tansio Mirai 8 Space. But I was also evaluating QDC 8SS. I prefer the slightly analytical sound with a fast, contained and very controlled low range. I like the detail and for all these reasons I had noticed the 8SS more than the 8SL or SH. But the setting should be the same or at least very similar. Then being a "studio" it should be a little brighter, fluid with not so much fleshiness. Do you think I like it for all the features I wrote? I don't like warm sound and I don't listen like a real hifi listener. But I have moved a little towards studio, professional, recording sound ... to make you understand.
Have you managed to demo any of the 8 series? Demoing is a better way to find out what you like rather than finding for others' opinions. But if you really cannot demo,

8SS strengths: highly detailed, yet non-offensive sound. If you like the focus to be the midrange, 8SS does it well but putting it upfront. It's not warm, but it's not too lean or dry either.
8SS weaknesses: flat-ish soundstage, things don't really surround you. Vocals can be a bit too forward and chesty, but adds more emotions to vocals imo. Nothing much to talk about for bass.

Even though it's called a "studio" iem, "studio" means different things to different people. E.g. Hidition Viento is often praised as studio-like even though it sounds so different from 8SS. It's hard to recommend iems with just "studio" as your preference. Why don't you try talking about what you already have and what you would like to improve on it.

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #2,001 of 2,715

What a coincidence, I just got my U12T and have been comparing with my 8SL for a few weeks until now.

I would like to add that I use Azla Sedna for 8SL since the recessed female vocals get more presence. The dual flange sounded too congested for me, maybe because small bore, but idk. I listen at lower volumes than most people and mainly vocals-focused music.

I got U12T because of some treble fatigue from 8SL and I wanted something thicker. I demoed U12T 3 times before buying it, but on longer listen, maybe it's not my thing anymore, so Im just gonna rant since im tired. I keep wishing for more upper mids on U12T. Whenever I reach the climax of a song, the U12T gets close but never hits the spot, even with MX module to boost upper mids a little. I wish it had more bite and definition in the vocals. Im not sure if its because of its rounded attack or the fact i listen at low volumes, but vocals can get hazy often. imo I think it still does great for male vocals and orchestral music. And it is superior to 8SL in imaging, and having a more natural even tone, but it just doesnt hit the spot. 8SL on the other hand, hits the spot a bit too hard that is fatiguing, due to the same signature I find in other QDC iems like Gemini, VX, 4SS (forward chesty vocals, recessed heady vocals, treble which bites, deep rather than wide soundstage, and in your face detail), but I do appreciate how this combination makes vocals extra emotional, even if slightly unnatural. If I were to rank all the iems I've heard, none have really hit S rank. The search continues I guess but 8SL shall accompany me for as long as possible...

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #2,002 of 2,715
Have you managed to demo any of the 8 series? Demoing is a better way to find out what you like rather than finding for others' opinions. But if you really cannot demo,

8SS strengths: highly detailed, yet non-offensive sound. If you like the focus to be the midrange, 8SS does it well but putting it upfront. It's not warm, but it's not too lean or dry either.
8SS weaknesses: flat-ish soundstage, things don't really surround you. Vocals can be a bit too forward and chesty, but adds more emotions to vocals imo. Nothing much to talk about for bass.

Even though it's called a "studio" iem, "studio" means different things to different people. E.g. Hidition Viento is often praised as studio-like even though it sounds so different from 8SS. It's hard to recommend iems with just "studio" as your preference. Why don't you try talking about what you already have and what you would like to improve on it.
I have IMR Rha and Halcyon. I find both ems with a lot of body across the range. Great presence. The stage is not very large. Perhaps wider than deep but always intimate and normal. The low range has a great presence but too much for my taste. Not very fast and not very controlled. But hot and with great fire. The mid-range is affected by the presence of the low range and therefore is not crisp and clear, but in line with the continuation of the low range following its balance. The high range is present and well structured, and perhaps that's what I like best even if more generally it is in line with the whole IMR line. So a very enveloping, intimate, quality sound that never makes you scream "wow" !!! The DUNU SA6 instead I find it almost perfect for my way of listening. Clear, open, fast, detailed, with a very controlled low range with that healthy and right analytics that befits a studio iem. Wanting to make it more perfect, I would like it to have a deeper scene and voice. But overall I love it. I like the BGVP DM8 too. Not like the SA6. It has a lower range quantitatively more present than the SA6 but very controlled. On the mids and on the others (especially on the vocals) it has more body and is less clear than the SA6. Beautiful three-dimensional in the right ratio of width / depth. I ordered a silver cable because I would like to try to lean the BGVP DM8 bass a little. I bought (but still have to arrive the Feaeless S8Pro. In short .... If the SA6 had an even bigger three-dimensional and more body without losing anything else of its qualities, it would be my perfect sound.

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #2,003 of 2,715
I have IMR Rha and Halcyon. I find both ems with a lot of body across the range. Great presence. The stage is not very large. Perhaps wider than deep but always intimate and normal. The low range has a great presence but too much for my taste. Not very fast and not very controlled. But hot and with great fire. The mid-range is affected by the presence of the low range and therefore is not crisp and clear, but in line with the continuation of the low range following its balance. The high range is present and well structured, and perhaps that's what I like best even if more generally it is in line with the whole IMR line. So a very enveloping, intimate, quality sound that never makes you scream "wow" !!! The DUNU SA6 instead I find it almost perfect for my way of listening. Clear, open, fast, detailed, with a very controlled low range with that healthy and right analytics that befits a studio iem. Wanting to make it more perfect, I would like it to have a deeper scene and voice. But overall I love it. I like the BGVP DM8 too. Not like the SA6. It has a lower range quantitatively more present than the SA6 but very controlled. On the mids and on the others (especially on the vocals) it has more body and is less clear than the SA6. Beautiful three-dimensional in the right ratio of width / depth. I ordered a silver cable because I would like to try to lean the BGVP DM8 bass a little. I bought (but still have to arrive the Feaeless S8Pro. In short .... If the SA6 had an even bigger three-dimensional and more body without losing anything else of its qualities, it would be my perfect sound.
I have not tried any of the iems you mentioned so maybe someone else could chime in. but based on these reviews of headfi reviewers who I respect, the SA6 could well be a side grade to QDC totl iems for you. There are some comparisons to VX in these reviews. You could post some questions to them if you'd like

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/dunu-sa6-review-a-new-550-benchmark-iem (the reviewer's thread is here:https://www.head-fi.org/threads/precogs-iem-reviews-impressions.937468/)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ami...nd-reviews-stuff.911048/page-51#post-16129067

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #2,004 of 2,715
I have not tried any of the iems you mentioned so maybe someone else could chime in. but based on these reviews of headfi reviewers who I respect, the SA6 could well be a side grade to QDC totl iems for you. There are some comparisons to VX in these reviews. You could post some questions to them if you'd like

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/dunu-sa6-review-a-new-550-benchmark-iem (the reviewer's thread is here:https://www.head-fi.org/threads/precogs-iem-reviews-impressions.937468/)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ami...nd-reviews-stuff.911048/page-51#post-16129067
Thank :wink:

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #2,005 of 2,715
What a coincidence, I just got my U12T and have been comparing with my 8SL for a few weeks until now.

I would like to add that I use Azla Sedna for 8SL since the recessed female vocals get more presence. The dual flange sounded too congested for me, maybe because small bore, but idk. I listen at lower volumes than most people and mainly vocals-focused music.

I got U12T because of some treble fatigue from 8SL and I wanted something thicker. I demoed U12T 3 times before buying it, but on longer listen, maybe it's not my thing anymore, so Im just gonna rant since im tired. I keep wishing for more upper mids on U12T. Whenever I reach the climax of a song, the U12T gets close but never hits the spot, even with MX module to boost upper mids a little. I wish it had more bite and definition in the vocals. Im not sure if its because of its rounded attack or the fact i listen at low volumes, but vocals can get hazy often. imo I think it still does great for male vocals and orchestral music. And it is superior to 8SL in imaging, and having a more natural even tone, but it just doesnt hit the spot. 8SL on the other hand, hits the spot a bit too hard that is fatiguing, due to the same signature I find in other QDC iems like Gemini, VX, 4SS (forward chesty vocals, recessed heady vocals, treble which bites, deep rather than wide soundstage, and in your face detail), but I do appreciate how this combination makes vocals extra emotional, even if slightly unnatural. If I were to rank all the iems I've heard, none have really hit S rank. The search continues I guess but 8SL shall accompany me for as long as possible...

The 8SL's bass/treble balance is delicate, and using ear tips with the wrong core thickness, bore width, or insertion depth can throw it off balance and make it sound either too smoothed-out or too sharp. I was actually planning to sell my 8SL, which came with damaged double-flanges, forcing me to use the single-flanges, until I ordered QDC stock replacement tips from Taobao. I'd suggest experimenting with other double- or triple-flange tips if the stock ones don't work for you.

e: Also, the U12t's U-shaped signature is most ideal for people who are upper-mid sensitive enough to dislike the standard Harman in-ear target, the way Crinacle and Aminus do. Personally, it doesn't sound hazy to me at all. Something like a Moondrop or other Harman-esque chi-fi might be more appropriate for you.

Personally, I'd stop caring about technical ability past anything I'd rank A- and go for whatever fits my tonal preferences best, as that last 10% of sound quality isn't worth missing out on something I adore. I actually prefer both the pre-2020 Andromeda and the 8SL to the Anole VX in spite of the latter's superior resolution.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #2,006 of 2,715
The 8SL's bass/treble balance is delicate, and using ear tips with the wrong core thickness, bore width, or insertion depth can throw it off balance and make it sound either too smoothed-out or too sharp. I was actually planning to sell my 8SL, which came with damaged double-flanges, forcing me to use the single-flanges, until I ordered QDC stock replacement tips from Taobao. I'd suggest experimenting with other double- or triple-flange tips if the stock ones don't work for you.

e: Also, the U12t's U-shaped signature is most ideal for people who are upper-mid sensitive enough to dislike the standard Harman in-ear target, the way Crinacle and Aminus do. Personally, it doesn't sound hazy to me at all. Something like a Moondrop or other Harman-esque chi-fi might be more appropriate for you.

Personally, I'd stop caring about technical ability past anything I'd rank A- and go for whatever fits my tonal preferences best, as that last 10% of sound quality isn't worth missing out on something I adore. I actually prefer both the pre-2020 Andromeda and the 8SL to the Anole VX in spite of the latter's superior resolution.
I have tried 2 types of spinfit dual flange and some other chifi dual flanges, and a host of other tips. I found the azla sedna to be the best. Due to my shallow ear canal, the azla sedna almost reaches the end of my ear canal anyway. I agree that deep fit for 8SL is important. It doesnt solve the slightly hollowish mids, but man 8SL is still one of the most engaging iems Ive ever heard.

I do like more upper mids but not to the extent of harman or diffuse field lol. Moondrops were too shouty. My preferred mid tonality would be like crinacle X Fearless Dawn without the 4.5k peak. As you can see, U12T does alot right except the upper mids.
graph (19).png

I agree with you about tonality over technicality once it reaches a certain point. Missing the right tonality just bothers me so much lol.

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #2,007 of 2,715
I am quite dismayed at the protruded 2pin design of QDC models which they are adamant about, which seems to erode easily overtime.
Imo, it's a QC issue which had been overlooked but carried onwards.

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #2,008 of 2,715
I am quite dismayed at the protruded 2pin design of QDC models which they are adamant about, which seems to erode easily overtime.
Imo, it's a QC issue which had been overlooked but carried onwards.

What exactly erodes?

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #2,010 of 2,715
So I finally took the plunge and bought 8sh, could someone please let me know which cable is most suitable for full sound with extended treble? I didn't get option to choose cable while ordering. I do also love large soundstage and holographic imaging.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back