QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,967 of 2,715
B018281F-B1E4-4DD6-A269-2F17E89DCBC6.jpeg

I have posted this previously, but the VX has the most satisfying bass performance in my collection (Odin, A8000, Luna). I’ll be posting more thoughts about my recent acquisition, but I am thrilled with the overall tuning of the VX.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #1,968 of 2,715
I’m not sure I heard the SS8, though when I purchased the two Anole V3 IEMs.......though I did get a chance to hear much of the qdc line. The VX to you could very well be a departure from what you like with the SA6. I do remember the other “downline” in the qdc “range” having a more reference tune. But remember too, the SA6 is not totally a linear monitor. The SA6 kinda walks this nice (beautiful) line of being neutral yet subtle and warm/V shape. The SA6 is really a very special tune....I understand why you would want a more technically mature rendition of it. :) Another clue may be to at least study the Fearless S6Rui. It’s comparable in so many ways and the closest to the SA6 in my collection. But to me the mids are improved on the SA6? So I see the SA6 as an improvement over the S6Rui, yet the Rui is no slouch. No real reason for you to get the (side step) Rui, except to study how it is as another very close to SA6 tune, which may be emulated by better products?

You’ll only know by hearing I think...or finding someone who has the SA6, SS8 and VX?

Typically words like “Studio” or “Reference” are marketing terms and can mean many different things to many people. Using such a term adds more confusion than what the name as an absolute would seemingly entail...... even though I myself just used the word to mean “something”?

AKG used the word reference for the k701, yet if you used it to mix music the music would come out a muddy garbled mess, hence marketing. No one uses IEMs in the Studio to mix music, hence maybe the word “Studio” is also a marketing term for DUNU? Even DUNU says the word is used in a amorphous way. Typically the these words mean more linear bass, but the SA6 has bass......so? These words only go so far.

Seemingly people value things that have professional use. Thus thinking the product could be a tool, making it better quality? Yet what would happen if IEMs were called unprofessional.... would that denote “fun”?

Ahh? I don’t want my music to be fun! Both the SA6 and the VX show a style of subtle musicality and detail. Both are on the warmer side, yet clear and accurate. As mentioned earlier the question is the mids. The mids could be more forward in the SA6, you simply have to try the VX.

You're right .... words like studio or mixer make little sense. Just as "linear bass" makes little sense when the SA6 has bass, controlled, not intrusive, but it does. Here we say that I like the bass of the SA6 a lot. And again to be consistent with your speech, I also tell you that I like the mid-range of the SA6. It's fast and detailed, BUT .... I'd love it with a little more warmth and body. I thought (but I can be wrong) that the QDC 8SS could approach as a philosophy of sound (but with the bar higher), based only on the graphs I put below SA6 and the SS8.

SA6-Default-768x374.jpg

qdc 8 ss.jpg

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #1,969 of 2,715
Dear participants,

I’m new here and I would like to share my experience for those who will be new here. A few words of store (https://www.musicteck.com) and staff. Compared to other stores, the prices are very good, the selection of quality products is excellent. I decided to buy a qdc Anole VX I read a lot of good things about it. Step by step, so far my Fiio FH7 has been my flagship (very good). The seller is very polite, friendly, helpful with answers to my questions. After placing my order, the seller immediately shipped the package via DHL, which is known to be fast and secure. After 6 days, I received the package in Europe without damage. The qdc box was in unopened packaging, of course, so it was new.

Just a few words of qdc Anole VX-S: There are a lot of web pages of qdc Anole VX technical data and review, I wouldn't write about that. I’m not a musician I just like to listen to music. For me, Anole opens a door to another magical world, and I’m so glad to be in this world, I always want to listen to music. Magic, like 3D at television.

Looking: Anole is so beautiful (it is subjective) a work of art, not ordinary. It is very light weight (5,91 g) and very comfortable to wear.

Conclusion: shopping from this store is very safe, I can highly recommend it. The seller is honest. And Anole? It is simply one of the best.

If anyone has a question, I’m happy to answer. Sorry of my English if I did mistake, my native language is hungarian.

Best regards, János

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #1,970 of 2,715
Dear participants,

I’m new here and I would like to share my experience for those who will be new here. A few words of store (https://www.musicteck.com) and staff. Compared to other stores, the prices are very good, the selection of quality products is excellent. I decided to buy a qdc Anole VX I read a lot of good things about it. Step by step, so far my Fiio FH7 has been my flagship (very good). The seller is very polite, friendly, helpful with answers to my questions. After placing my order, the seller immediately shipped the package via DHL, which is known to be fast and secure. After 6 days, I received the package in Europe without damage. The qdc box was in unopened packaging, of course, so it was new.

Just a few words of qdc Anole VX-S: There are a lot of web pages of qdc Anole VX technical data and review, I wouldn't write about that. I’m not a musician I just like to listen to music. For me, Anole opens a door to another magical world, and I’m so glad to be in this world, I always want to listen to music. Magic, like 3D at television.

Looking: Anole is so beautiful (it is subjective) a work of art, not ordinary. It is very light weight (5,91 g) and very comfortable to wear.

Conclusion: shopping from this store is very safe, I can highly recommend it. The seller is honest. And Anole? It is simply one of the best.

If anyone has a question, I’m happy to answer. Sorry of my English if I did mistake, my native language is hungarian.

Best regards, János
Enjoy!

Dec 15, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #1,971 of 2,715
Dear participants,

Best regards, János

I bought my VX-S from Andrew at MusicTeck, and I agree, a friendly encounter with great follow-up.

I do love the sound of the VX-S (switches off). It compares very favorably to my other flagship IEMs.

I like your comment about the VX-S opening up a magical world for you ... same here. 😁

Dec 17, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #1,973 of 2,715
Dec 25, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #1,974 of 2,715
Following up to this, I have finally A/Bed 8SL and 8CL with same cable, same source.

Some differences: 8SL has better imaging (8CL is bit blurry), deeper staging (more layered vs more flattened and in your face in 8CL), less warmth, less bassy, more lower treble/upper mids. 8SL has that snappiness in the instruments and extra crispiness in the vocals. I get more easily engaged in 8SL than 8CL.

Basically, 8SL was that god-like iem which I praised in an earlier review in this thread, and 8CL was regretfully not the best choice I made. Perhaps it's due to my ear shape (shallow canal) where QDC couldn't replicate the same sound and had to compromise? Anyway, I'm going to send my 8CL for a reshell back to 8SL. Some lessons were learnt lol...
Did your reshelled 8CL sounds like a 8SL?
I wonder if the tuning change is a deliberate move from QDC. From my experience the 8CL tuning is the typical stage-tuning for musician - boosted bass and reduced midrange/treble to reduce fatigue.
If it's actually a tuning change, then perhaps we could get a 8SL and reshell it somewhere else to get a custom 8SL instead of a 8CL.

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #1,975 of 2,715
I wonder if the tuning change is a deliberate move from QDC. From my experience the 8CL tuning is the typical stage-tuning for musician - boosted bass and reduced midrange/treble to reduce fatigue.
If it's actually a tuning change, then perhaps we could get a 8SL and reshell it somewhere else to get a custom 8SL instead of a 8CL.

In fact, by intuition I would prefer 8SS. More linear and radiographic, I think it can be. Less emphasized than 8CL and 8 SL ....

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #1,976 of 2,715
After it was reshelled by QDC (8CL > 8SL) it sounded just like an 8SL, and I'm glad it does. There's no reason it should sound different unless QDC's quality control is bad, and they seem to have good quality control. Oh well im no musician and just want to enjoy my music. 8SL is much better in this case. Amazingly holographic yet with enough warmth to sound natural.

Not sure if I want to risk getting it reshelled to custom somewhere else and still not sounding like an 8SL and voiding the warranty lol. Besides, customs are not as comfortable as I thought, especially in humid weather here where it will just trap a yucky thin film of perspiration lol.

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #1,977 of 2,715
B018281F-B1E4-4DD6-A269-2F17E89DCBC6.jpeg

I have posted this previously, but the VX has the most satisfying bass performance in my collection (Odin, A8000, Luna). I’ll be posting more thoughts about my recent acquisition, but I am thrilled with the overall tuning of the VX.
I have tried the VX but I wouldnt say that its bass is the best for me(u18t was better for me for BA driver for comparison, I prefer DD bass) but I haven't heard the Odin either, I was hoping that the Odin’s bass would be “better”.

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #1,978 of 2,715
After it was reshelled by QDC (8CL > 8SL) it sounded just like an 8SL, and I'm glad it does. There's no reason it should sound different unless QDC's quality control is bad, and they seem to have good quality control. Oh well im no musician and just want to enjoy my music. 8SL is much better in this case. Amazingly holographic yet with enough warmth to sound natural.

Not sure if I want to risk getting it reshelled to custom somewhere else and still not sounding like an 8SL and voiding the warranty lol. Besides, customs are not as comfortable as I thought, especially in humid weather here where it will just trap a yucky thin film of perspiration lol.
How is the fit on your 8SL?

I honestly am not too fond of custom especially with all the refit complication involved, but then the comfort on a custom will always beat a poor fitting universal. I live in a cold dry climate as well, so don't have much issue with perspiration and all that.

I recently acquired a Shanling ME700 and even though I enjoy the sound, the shape of it hurts my outer ear. So I've told myself to only get a universal if it fits like a glove.

Another possibility to a custom 8SL is a custom Gemini, given how similar their sound are. Perhaps an owner of a custom Gemini could help shed some light on the topic?
The Gemini seems to sit in quite an odd place, above the popular 8SL but under the flagship VX. Doesn't get talked about much it seems.

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,979 of 2,715
How is the fit on your 8SL?

I honestly am not too fond of custom especially with all the refit complication involved, but then the comfort on a custom will always beat a poor fitting universal. I live in a cold dry climate as well, so don't have much issue with perspiration and all that.

I recently acquired a Shanling ME700 and even though I enjoy the sound, the shape of it hurts my outer ear. So I've told myself to only get a universal if it fits like a glove.

Another possibility to a custom 8SL is a custom Gemini, given how similar their sound are. Perhaps an owner of a custom Gemini could help shed some light on the topic?
The Gemini seems to sit in quite an odd place, above the popular 8SL but under the flagship VX. Doesn't get talked about much it seems.
8SL fits great for me (it has that inwards bend at the top which grabs onto my ear snugly) . Gemini about the same size. VX is the one that fits like a glove, and many others have also attested to its great fit.

I've heard gemini and it sounds different enough from 8SL. It has more treble energy on default switch and becomes too warm on bass switch. I still prefer 8SL. Custom gemini feels like a big risk

Dec 25, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #1,980 of 2,715
I have tried the VX but I wouldnt say that its bass is the best for me(u18t was better for me for BA driver for comparison, I prefer DD bass) but I haven't heard the Odin either, I was hoping that the Odin’s bass would be “better”.

Odin’s sub-bass is definitely better, the best I’ve heard in that regard, but the mid-bass of the VX has greater presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back