QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #1,411 of 2,715
OK here is my thought on this... I'm really against blind buying, especially on something that's so expensive. A lot early adopter of VX (before musictek) took a risk and bought it based on others recommendations, and it honestly is a safer blind buy since it's a all rounder w/o any major fit/tonality issues. But there isn't really a reason to do that anymore in NA, since musictek will give you a VX loaner for a few days.

UK....

Dec 7, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #1,412 of 2,715
OK here is my thought on this... I'm really against blind buying, especially on something that's so expensive. A lot early adopter of VX (before musictek) took a risk and bought it based on others recommendations, and it honestly is a safer blind buy since it's a all rounder w/o any major fit/tonality issues. But there isn't really a reason to do that anymore in NA, since musictek will give you a VX loaner for a few days.
I agree with you, but only if you can get it on a loaner program. I think that listening to a an IEM for 20-30 minutes doesn't mean a whole lot.

I went to 64 audio and tried their lineup. I went home with the u12t. I thought I couldn't be happier. After a few days, though, I started to realize that I did not quite like how bright it was. Then I realized that the isolation wasn't very fantastic. I could never shake those two annoyances.

When I first received the VX, I didn't like it off the bat. It took a couple hours to get accustomed to the sound and then a few days to completely fall in love with it.

Dec 7, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #1,413 of 2,715
I agree with you, but only if you can get it on a loaner program. I think that listening to a an IEM for 20-30 minutes doesn't mean a whole lot.

I went to 64 audio and tried their lineup. I went home with the u12t. I thought I couldn't be happier. After a few days, though, I started to realize that I did not quite like how bright it was. Then I realized that the isolation wasn't very fantastic. I could never shake those two annoyances.

When I first received the VX, I didn't like it off the bat. It took a couple hours to get accustomed to the sound and then a few days to completely fall in love with it.

I agree. I think ideally one should listen to an IEM for a few days and let their brain wrap around its signature before forming a judgement. Often we are wowed (or not) off the bat only to find little annoyances (or strengths) that only become apparent after hours of listening.

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #1,415 of 2,715
I ordered the Uranus. Total impulse buy, mostly for curiousity and science.

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #1,416 of 2,715
I ordered the Uranus. Total impulse buy, mostly for curiousity and science.
reads-has-science-gone-too-far-above-a-stock-photo-of-a-guy-looking-into-the-distance-on-a-mountain

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #1,418 of 2,715
But u know my stance on midfi qdcs... Don't expect much

I don't expect much. It's "cheap" relatively. But it within the realm of me buying impulsively for measurements, listening, reviewing and maybe, hopefully surprised by value. We'll see. I just got a tracking number, so maybe it'll arrive before xmas.

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #1,419 of 2,715
I don't expect much. It's "cheap" relatively. But it within the realm of me buying impulsively for measurements, listening, reviewing and maybe, hopefully surprised by value. We'll see. I just got a tracking number, so maybe it'll arrive before xmas.
I found the 4SS to be surprisingly good for its value in comparison. Its sound is kind of similar in character with the 8SH when I demoed it, good at portraying each instrument sound as is. Pretty extended treble, and clear midrange. And a decent bass that is not overwhelming. I liked it more than the 5 or 6 which has bigger bass. The 8SH I found to be slightly more spacious in staging, and higher in resolution/details. But compared to other IEMs in its price bracket, the 4SS is one of my favourites.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #1,421 of 2,715
Just whet your appetite. QDC seems to be testing new tuning of Fusion in Japan.
It does not indicate any connection with Fusion. But judging from the driver config., i.e.,
1 Dynamic + 4 BAs, you can tell. More mid-high for J. "anison"? Let's see.

Interesting...I wonder if this could be the elusive QDC flagship hybrid in the making.

Dec 15, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #1,422 of 2,715
Interesting...I wonder if this could be the elusive QDC flagship hybrid in the making.
No, I don't think so. I asked the representative of qdc about the TrES during Portafes yesterday, and he said it's a Japanese special edition hybrid. Tuned a bit differently to suit the taste of the crowd here. It sounded similar to the Fusion, but slightly more exciting, good for EDM, fast-paced anime songs and such. The Fusion is bit flatter.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #1,423 of 2,715
Anyone gone from universal VX to custom? Thoughts?

Dec 19, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #1,424 of 2,715
So having listened to the 8SL for a while, I found that it uses an interesting magic trick: it dips the mid-treble at around 6 kHz and boosts the upper treble above neutral to compensate. You get the benefits of increased resolution, more open sound, and sharper imaging from the upper treble emphasis, the second harmonics at 10-14 kHz cover for the recessed fundamental frequencies to prevent loss of perceived detail, and you avoid the metallic timbre and splashiness that would be caused by having neutral low-mid-treble in a U-shaped tuning with a dip in the upper mids. The upper treble also masks the BA bass slightly, making the latter sound less forward, less dry, and more natural.

The effect sounds fantastic when it works. It does soften attack slightly and make female vocals sound a bit hollow, but I prefer to say that it makes the sound more ethereal. The problem is that it falls apart with some amateur recordings that don’t handle >10 kHz properly, as well as when listening over Bluetooth, which can roll off the higher frequencies even before the cutoff point. I can tell which codec I’m using and what the signal strength is from how warm the bass gets. The 8SL would be the perfect all-rounder for me if it weren’t for that one annoying flaw.

From what I gather, the Solaris does something similar, only that IEM goes on to screw up the sound afterwards by scooping out a pit where you would normally find an upper midrange.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #1,425 of 2,715
So... courtesy of a loan from @Doug2507 I’ll be able to enjoy the VX and review it, thanks Doug :beerchug:

Impressions coming next week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back