QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #1,381 of 2,715
Nov 25, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,383 of 2,715
Switching from Bluetooth to USB mode on my ES100 fixed the tonality/imaging/clarity issues I was experiencing with my 8SL. I’m assuming that the Bluetooth encoder is malfunctioning or something.

The 8SL sounds basically how you would expect the Andromeda would if it were designed by a company aimed at manufacturing audio equipment for professionals rather than a boutique audiophile outfit. You can tell that qdc is working with a neutral benchmark tuning and know how to tweak it to get the sound they want. Might write more about it later.

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #1,384 of 2,715
Switching from Bluetooth to USB mode on my ES100 fixed the tonality/imaging/clarity issues I was experiencing with my 8SL. I’m assuming that the Bluetooth encoder is malfunctioning or something.

The 8SL sounds basically how you would expect the Andromeda would if it were designed by a company aimed at manufacturing audio equipment for professionals rather than a boutique audiophile outfit. You can tell that qdc is working with a neutral benchmark tuning and know how to tweak it to get the sound they want. Might write more about it later.

upload_2019-11-25_21-57-13.png
upload_2019-11-25_21-58-14.png

Here is the comparison of CFA iem vs qdc's mid tier lineup. 5SH was released before the Andro, and Fusion was release due to the popularity of Solaris in china. I used to joke about there is a qdc version of every CFA iem. Now some people want to compare Solaris to the qdc flagships (8 series + VX). I personally would not compare the 2 due to the difference in driver configuration.

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,386 of 2,715
There are some good deals on ALO cables running on. I wonder if these would be the good match for Anole VX in comparison to stock cable.
If yes, what would be the best choice ( a. e., Ref 8, Pure silver etc)? Thanks for letting me know.

I'm pretty sure ALO cables don't have an option for QDC connectors, so you'd need an adapter.

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,388 of 2,715
Yes, indeed. Idea is to combine one of the ALO cables with adapters, of course, if game is worth the candle ...

I've had a few ALO/Campfire cables, including the Ref 8. The ergonomics and (lack of) microphonics of the stock VX cable put the Ref 8 to shame.

I didn't notice much of a difference in sound between stock Campfire and Ref 8, but I was not a fan of the ergonomics or microphonics of the Ref 8.

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #1,389 of 2,715
I've honestly never heard any cable that sounded better or worse than any other cable. The sole import in a cable (to me) is in its look and feel.

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #1,390 of 2,715
I've honestly never heard any cable that sounded better or worse than any other cable. The sole import in a cable (to me) is in its look and feel.

My only exposure to mid to high end iem cables was through campfire. I loved my andromeda and Solaris, but after getting the VX, I am thoroughly impressed with how soft and non-microphonic the cable is compared to what I was used to.

I also haven't heard differences in cables, which I count as a win...one less thing I need to sink money into :)

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #1,392 of 2,715
Is VX worth the extra over Gemini? How big is the difference between them?

If you can afford VX then get VX. If not get gemini. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it's very hard to quantify the difference in audio. Is the 700bucks worth the 20% better in bass? Thats up to you.

Nov 29, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #1,393 of 2,715
If you can afford VX then get VX. If not get gemini. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it's very hard to quantify the difference in audio. Is the 700bucks worth the 20% better in bass? Thats up to you.
Thanks for the response. I'm considering a used Gemini that sells for $1000 right now. Just don't want any regret. I do enjoy bass. Prefer quality bass over quantity. Not sure if you heard Sony MDR-Ex1000. That's my targeted bass response. How would you compare either Gemini or Anole VX to it?

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #1,394 of 2,715
Thanks for the response. I'm considering a used Gemini that sells for $1000 right now. Just don't want any regret. I do enjoy bass. Prefer quality bass over quantity. Not sure if you heard Sony MDR-Ex1000. That's my targeted bass response. How would you compare either Gemini or Anole VX to it?

I had both gemini and ex1k at the same time at one point actually. And almost want to say if you like a neutralish bass, Gemini/VX might be too bassy for you, and its not even good DD bass. Maybe look into a JVC fw10k? But thats not an iem i would reccomend with out demoing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back