QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #976 of 2,734
SS is the most neutral and Gemini is the most V shaped, but I would still call Gemini neutral warm. SH is in between, but closer to gemini in terms of sound signature. And therr is little to no difference between the 8serie and the gemini in terms of performance
With the 8SS being a 'studio' version should I expect less bass compared to the SH?

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #977 of 2,734
With the 8SS being a 'studio' version should I expect less bass compared to the SH?

Yes, SS is neutral, not like VX neutral, like neutral neutral. There is a reason that qdc dont market the SS series (8SS/4SS) to general consumers, because they are for studio use. I would say 8SH is as neutral as I will go w/o thinking its too boring.

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #978 of 2,734
Yes, SS is neutral, not like VX neutral, like neutral neutral. There is a reason that qdc dont market the SS series (8SS/4SS) to general consumers, because they are for studio use. I would say 8SH is as neutral as I will go w/o thinking its too boring.
I see.. thanks for your insight, was tempted to go for a 8SS for a relatively reasonable price but I guess i'd better not

Aug 4, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #979 of 2,734
hi, bought the qdc fusion and wonder if some can suggest a good cable upgrade for the qdc fusion that is within the 200-300 usd range, I will use it with my cayin n6ii

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #981 of 2,734
Regarding the discussion between 8BA series and Gemini. Having demoed all 3 8BA series at Canjam Singapore this year and owning a Gemini, I would say the 8SS is closest in performance and sound-wise to a Gemini with bass switch off. It just lacks a little more body in the bass.
I can't remember which of the other 2 (8SH 8SL) had a muddier bass and one was a little brighter, though this is only my own opinion.

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #982 of 2,734
I have similar experience. I demoed 8SS and 8SH earlier this year at a headphone store. The two models sounded very similar with the 8SS had a little fuller body in the bass. The bass on both of them sounded neutral to me, comparing to Anole V3 and AAW W500. Both 8SS and 8SH have amazing clarity and imaging. I prefer the sound of 8SS a little more although the 8SH sounded very similar. Their price (US$1,560) was the only reason that stopped me from buying them at the store. I am happy with my V3.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #983 of 2,734
Tried out the QDC TOTL, Anole VX, and came out unimpressed with the price-performance. The treble sounded a bit emphasized overshadowing the mids and the presence region, having a bit of a thick-ness to it I found a bit on the shrill side. For the price asking for, I'd expect a bit more balance and also better transparency than much lower priced iems. Interesting part was the bass, which sounded pretty good. Sound stage is pretty avg, and the cable wiring looks pretty much identical to Kanas pro cable wiring?! I didn't find the switch all that useful, and didn't like the bass switch up. Maybe mids switch is fine as well, but the there is an area of the treble the switch doesn't really effect. What's up with blip in the response? Cross-over issues?

Here's my measurements.

Difference between all switches on and off
QDC Anole VX all and no switches.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #984 of 2,734
Hi,

As I saw you own Solaris and curious about Sony IER-Z1R, do you have any listening session with Z1R ? How to you find the sound as compare to Solaris

Sorry for spamming the QDC thread but I actually own the Z1R now. If you're still interested I reviewed it and did a comparison (it's in the Z1R review in my signature).

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #986 of 2,734
Tried out the QDC TOTL, Anole VX, and came out unimpressed with the price-performance. The treble sounded a bit emphasized overshadowing the mids and the presence region, having a bit of a thick-ness to it I found a bit on the shrill side. For the price asking for, I'd expect a bit more balance and also better transparency than much lower priced iems. Interesting part was the bass, which sounded pretty good. Sound stage is pretty avg, and the cable wiring looks pretty much identical to Kanas pro cable wiring?! I didn't find the switch all that useful, and didn't like the bass switch up. Maybe mids switch is fine as well, but the there is an area of the treble the switch doesn't really effect. What's up with blip in the response? Cross-over issues?

Here's my measurements.

Just for clarity sake, what IEMs do you listen to mostly? What much cheaper IEMs have 'more balance and also better transparency'? And do people really still consider 'price-performance' when they are paying $2k+ for a pair of IEM?

I don't think the VX is very impressive, but it's not suppose to me, just a general all-rounder. But do tell us what IEMs are you comparing VX to...

Aug 4, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #987 of 2,734

Here's my measurements.

Well, you are trashing one of the beast IEM’s at the moment. This is a neutral IEM with good bass that does not encroach on the mids and a detailed treble that stays just off the edge of sibilance and is very detailed. The mids are one of its many strong points. Everyone has their favorites, but trashing it? That sounds like something was amiss.
What were you using to listen to it? Maybe there was an issue there.

Aug 4, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #988 of 2,734

Here's my measurements.

For reference, this is my measurement:

vx combos.png

Not sure if you are hearing a treble spike that is accurate with your measurements or not but mine doesnt spike up and instead rolls down a slight bit.

I havent had a chance to look at your ER2/MH755 data set from the measuring tour, but would be nice to see how the area after 6K differs between our units.

All of that said, I dont find the VX too bright at all. It's just about right for my tastes, across the board.

Aug 4, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #989 of 2,734
For reference, this is my measurement:

Not sure if you are hearing a treble spike that is accurate with your measurements or not but mine doesnt spike up and instead rolls down a slight bit.

I havent had a chance to look at your ER2/MH755 data set from the measuring tour, but would be nice to see how the area after 6K differs between our units.

All of that said, I dont find the VX too bright at all. It's just about right for my tastes, across the board.
I consider treble 6K onwards, you can see that on your measurement, it does rise as the frequency increases. There is a band of the highest amplitude after 6k. So, your graph does reflect the emphasis.

Aug 4, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #990 of 2,734
I consider treble 6K onwards, you can see that on your measurement, it does rise as the frequency increases. There is a band of the highest amplitude after 6k. So, your graph does reflect the emphasis.

Yes I consider 6K+ treble too, but I was talking more about the measurement you have beyond that I guess --closer to 8-10K where it rises again, while mine doesnt.

I just looked at our ER2SE measurement database, and mine actually shows more rise in that area. haha. Measurements in that region can be pretty suspect due to a lot of variance in tools, fit, and depth though.

ER2SE Measurement Tour.png

Just trying to figure out if you're just more sensitive or if the unit was different. I do think that some people may find the treble levels to be a little on the high side if they're not used to this type of tuning - like coming from something like Etymotics, where this area drops off pretty rapidly. I came from Solaris right before this and they generally are quite similar sounding except VX just does everything a little bit better. I also found Z1R to be in the same general ballpark though perhaps a little bit brighter in that same 4-8K region, and found it could be a little harsh, though I didn't have the best seal and only demo'd it for 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back