QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #1,681 of 2,722
@Focux
1584109394647.png
I made a really bad joke a while back saying Fusion is just a better solaris at half the price. I have not tried the Fusion since I didnt have access to it when i went to JP. But Antman was kind enough to send me his Uranus which use the same DD and implementation of that DD. I'm not a big fan of how the DD should sound which is very BA like...

I’ve tried Uranus, frankly think it’s way inferior to Fusion and in fact the IKKO OH-10 sounds a lot better than Uranus.

Perhaps Fusion is not a popular model hence there are only so few reviews around

Mar 15, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #1,682 of 2,722
Need some advice for pairing with the Anole VX.

I just ordered the anole vx and I cant wait to get it, upgrading from EE phantom with Dragonfly cobalt pairing. I would like to purchase a DAP and have been considering buying either the Hiby r6 pro or the Cayin n6ii E01 (I use tidal mostly). I know the N6ii would be the better pairing however is it justified spending the extra $700 for it over the R6 pro?

Any other dap recommendations?

Thanks

Mar 15, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #1,683 of 2,722

I just ordered the anole vx and I cant wait to get it, upgrading from EE phantom with Dragonfly cobalt pairing. I would like to purchase a DAP and have been considering buying either the Hiby r6 pro or the Cayin n6ii E01 (I use tidal mostly). I know the N6ii would be the better pairing however is it justified spending the extra $700 for it over the R6 pro?

Thanks

not to me

but if I wanted to buy something that costs more than the R6 Pro, I’d look to the DX220

Mar 15, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #1,685 of 2,722

Thanks
I know it is much more money, but I use the Cayin N8 and it sounds great. I love having the tube and solid state options. I do also use a dragonfly red from time to time off of my iPhone and that also sounds good. The LTPGT also sounds very good with it as did the Sony WM1Z. At shows I have tried various A&k’s and they sounded good as did some of the other Cayin products. I don’t think it is difficult to drive, so it will really come down to what DAP you like. I do not think you will find any interface issues. Tks.

Mar 15, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #1,686 of 2,722

Thanks

I'm not a fan,of neither dap, but for different reasons. I personally prefer a neutral dap so their is no potential 'dap pairing issues'. R6 pro sounded too bright for me and n6ii sounded too warm XD.

Mar 15, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #1,687 of 2,722
What’s great about your write-up is it seems honestly objective. Such a self-test and maybe slightly brave to have all DD and order a BA “monitor” which is going to be designed closer to flat. Also your knowing of mental burn-in and the added reality that’s at times beyond our perception if we are used to a single IEM sound.

It’s also always cool to read of someone taking a slight risk and being happy. Cheers!

That's a really nice feedback, because it's exactly what I tried to achieve, to be honest to myself, fair to the IEM and try to communicate it as well.
This was hard work, but totally worth it for me to give myself time and have longer sessions just with the 4SS as well as direct comparisons, rotating my top IEMs.
The 4SS is really different to all the others both in technicalities and signature. But that also made it easier to compare and helped to understand the 4SS and my DD IEMs better.
Yes, I am glad I took the chance. I was originally thinking of just trying them to learn and sell them again, but now I'll keep them! :)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #1,689 of 2,722
You simply reverse the polarity and put them on. You need aftermarket cables with-out over-ear guides.
Are there pin adapters to use regular 0.78 mm pin cables to be used with QDC IEMs? Would really appreciate a link. I heard it exists. Thanks.

Mar 16, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #1,690 of 2,722
You simply reverse the polarity and put them on. You need aftermarket cables with-out over-ear guides.

Thank you so much for your response. However, the issue is, I read that the pins needed are 0.75 mm (like the UE Triplefi 10) ones. One can cram a CIEM 2 pin cable in it but it is supposed to loosen the IEM holes (if the stock cable is later used). I don't own the VX (yet) but I read about the pin diameter on this thread. So, I was wondering about this since I have some expensive 2 pin custom cables lying around without guides so I can flip 'em easily but I don't want to damage the IEM.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #1,691 of 2,722
Thank you so much for your response. However, the issue is, I read that the pins needed are 0.75 mm (like the UE Triplefi 10) ones. One can cram a CIEM 2 pin cable in it but it is supposed to loosen the IEM holes (if the stock cable is later used). I don't own the VX (yet) but I read about the pin diameter on this thread. So, I was wondering about this since I have some expensive 2 pin custom cables lying around without guides so I can flip 'em easily but I don't want to damage the IEM.

Yes, my advice is probably the seat-of-your-pants method? Another option is actually getting qdc connections on the new cable.

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,692 of 2,722
You can search for IEM cables with C-Pin or qdc connectors and you'll find there are quite a bit. Unique Melody also uses this, and KZ adopted this cable format last year as well. There are several on amazon and even more on ali express.

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,693 of 2,722
The older 5SH seems to hold its ground well, obliterates my lesser collection (from well known brands like ATH, JVC, Earsonics, Sony) providing a full, energised yet balanced sound, maintaining exceptional clarity across all frequencies. They are not as bright and extended as the QDC Gemini which I recalled sounding fatiguing to my ears. Bass might lack a slight definition than the EX1000 but bass of 5SH is warm, immersive and snappy without any muddiness. This is why I think even the once-heralded Heir 10Ai should be put to shame - its just not even close to the 5SH in terms of clarity and balance, having a muted upper frequency along with strong syrupy bass which is too much for me.

I would put the 5SH over the EX1000 as it is more fun and involving while providing excellent staging and clarity. They have a similar tuning to my Fitear Parterres (similar aftermarket value) but offers better refinement: better dynamics, layering and details. Complementing the 5SH are my Fitear Universals, Oriolus v1 plus the elusive, warm mid-centric and expansive sounding JQ 8+1 from Taobao (a budget buy comparable to Zeus). Switching back and forth each time the 5SH always has a strong wow-factor. The stock tips feels slightly thicker and sturdier than other brands - I think its tips are one of the key contributors to its amazing sound. Listened using balanced output of QP2R, Rhapsodio OCC MKii which give it a warm oompf. And with just the QP1R it is a beast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back