QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #1,711 of 2,734
Oh nice! I've considered the es100. As of right now I'm using a hiby R5. What is so bad with the Q5s? One dap I've been curious about is the ZX507, but I'm trying to just be happy with what I have!
The Q5s is not bad. It actually is great with Anole VX and Voyager 14 but for some reason it doesn't give good sound on the 64 Trio. Probably some impedance thing. It might get better with balanced output.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #1,713 of 2,734
The Q5s is not bad. It actually is great with Anole VX and Voyager 14 but for some reason it doesn't give good sound on the 64 Trio. Probably some impedance thing. It might get better with balanced output.
[/QUOTE]
Hmm.. that's unfortunate. What are you looking to pair it with?

aren't we all! ha ha

Right? It's such a struggle! There's always something new that I want.

Mar 24, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #1,716 of 2,734
Can someone give me a quick rundown of the 3 dip switches on the Anole, what regions do 1,2,3 correlate to?

Also, any recommended settings? Is it best to leave them all off?
Position 1 increases the bass.
Position 2 increases the midrange.
Position 3 increases the treble.

I typically listen with all of them off. I feel the VX has excellent bass, mids and treble in the neutral position ( all switches off ). There is more kick if you want to turn on the bass switch. Either position 1 on or 1 and 2 on are also interesting. I personally feel the treble does not need to be boosted in any way. However, if you are a treble head, then by all means, have at it. Let us know what you prefer. Tks.

Mar 24, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #1,717 of 2,734
Position 1 increases the bass.
Position 2 increases the midrange.
Position 3 increases the treble.

I typically listen with all of them off. I feel the VX has excellent bass, mids and treble in the neutral position ( all switches off ). There is more kick if you want to turn on the bass switch. Either position 1 on or 1 and 2 on are also interesting. I personally feel the treble does not need to be boosted in any way. However, if you are a treble head, then by all means, have at it. Let us know what you prefer. Tks.
Thanks for the summary :D

I'm trying out position 3 right now

Mar 29, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #1,718 of 2,734
Question for Anole VX owners: I love my Anole and it's the most technical iem I have but on some tracks I can hear a little harshness. There's something I would qualify as "artificial" and I'd like to try EQ to soften it.

Does anyone know which part of the FR this is coming from? I'm not giving possibilities on purpose in order to get people's real assessment.

Also, I am far from the first one to report this. This said I haven't seen many solutions and I like solving problems, especially with an iem this good!

Mar 29, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #1,719 of 2,734
Question for Anole VX owners: I love my Anole and it's the most technical iem I have but on some tracks I can hear a little harshness. There's something I would qualify as "artificial" and I'd like to try EQ to soften it.

Does anyone know which part of the FR this is coming from? I'm not giving possibilities on purpose in order to get people's real assessment.

Also, I am far from the first one to report this. This said I haven't seen many solutions and I like solving problems, especially with an iem this good!

The treble spike of the VX is due to the resonant peaks of the FK tweeters. This resonance changes/smoothens depending on your insert depth. I'd try smaller tips & deep fitting it first to attempt to shift the peaks away. If that doesnt work out effectively, you can try EQ reducing the region around 6.5-8khz first.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Mar 29, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #1,720 of 2,734
The treble spike of the VX is due to the resonant peaks of the FK tweeters. This resonance changes/smoothens depending on your insert depth. I'd try smaller tips & deep fitting it first to attempt to shift the peaks away. If that doesnt work out effectively, you can try EQ reducing the region around 6.5-8khz first.
In addition to what was listed above, you could also go in another direction if you truely love the VX. Get a custom. I made my choice based on the universal with the thought the custom would smooth out the overall presentation and increase the bass a bit. And that is exactly what happened. Just a thought. Also, if a piece of music is badly recorded, the VX will show that to you. There will not be much you can do there. Enjoy.

Mar 29, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #1,721 of 2,734

You know better to not poop in my house... Get, b4 I yeet u

Mar 29, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #1,722 of 2,734
Thank you for your help. I've put the Anole for sale as I need to discover more iems, knowing I might get back to it someday! It's a very technical iem and doesn't really step wrong anywhere but I am not sure it's my signature.

Mar 29, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #1,723 of 2,734

Well I did just this with regular spiral dots pushed all the way down on the nozzle and this does two things:

- Harshness is completely gone, totally, can't perceive anything disturbing anymore. Sound feels much fuller and mids seem to come to life!

- On top of the above, with deeper insertion I feel the seal is now even better and the fit even more comfortable (it was already very comfortable).

EQ'D Roland now this.....talk about a turnaround! This warrants more investigation and so I'm taking it off the sale list for the foreseeable future. The sound is just too good right now.

Thanks all for your help, this saved the day!

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #1,724 of 2,734
Attach files
Well I did just this with regular spiral dots pushed all the way down on the nozzle and this does two things:

- Harshness is completely gone, totally, can't perceive anything disturbing anymore. Sound feels much fuller and mids seem to come to life!

- On top of the above, with deeper insertion I feel the seal is now even better and the fit even more comfortable (it was already very comfortable).

EQ'D Roland now this.....talk about a turnaround! This warrants more investigation and so I'm taking it off the sale list for the foreseeable future. The sound is just too good right now.

Thanks all for your help, this saved the day!

This is basically what I do, except I found tips that are even smaller than the small spiral dots. IIRC, the Anole VX may have a super small, short tip too, but just from memory (too lazy to go rummage in my garage for the box). I'm able to get a really deep, comfortable insertion with this setup and it's near CIEM fit without any pain.

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #1,725 of 2,734
Attach files

This is basically what I do, except I found tips that are even smaller than the small spiral dots. IIRC, the Anole VX may have a super small, short tip too, but just from memory (too lazy to go rummage in my garage for the box). I'm able to get a really deep, comfortable insertion with this setup and it's near CIEM fit without any pain.
Attach files

I'll try and report back! Tbh the almost custom fit of Anole was one feature I did not want to let go, I almost forget I am wearing it! I am literally rediscovering it. Good learning experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back