QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #1,697 of 2,722
Got my Anole VX-S yesterday! They sound just like I remembered :) and I have yet to try out the dip switches. My only gripes is that when I push them in my ear, they often create a sort of vacuum effect. I wish the cable was right-angle but this is definitely the nicest 2-pin cable I have and I've bought two expensive custom cables before.

In terms of sound and enjoyment (best to worst) my ranking is definitely Anole VX -> Andromeda -> A12T

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #1,698 of 2,722
Got my Anole VX-S yesterday! They sound just like I remembered :) and I have yet to try out the dip switches. My only gripes is that when I push them in my ear, they often create a sort of vacuum effect. I wish the cable was right-angle but this is definitely the nicest 2-pin cable I have and I've bought two expensive custom cables before.

In terms of sound and enjoyment (best to worst) my ranking is definitely Anole VX -> Andromeda -> A12T

What's missing for you in the A12t? I have a 64 Trio which is has a nice DD bass and great treble extension. Perfect complement to Anole VX, which is technically one of the best iems out there for sure! For me lack of DD is only thing that separates it from supreme iem status.

I am also currently enjoying ThieAudio V14. Tight bass and great treble extension. Probably one tick below Anole in technicalities but still very resolving and a fun signature. great iem too.

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #1,699 of 2,722
What's missing for you in the A12t? I have a 64 Trio which is has a nice DD bass and great treble extension. Perfect complement to Anole VX, which is technically one of the best iems out there for sure! For me lack of DD is only thing that separates it from supreme iem status.

I am also currently enjoying ThieAudio V14. Tight bass and great treble extension. Probably one tick below Anole in technicalities but still very resolving and a fun signature. great iem too.
I have the same IEMs as you! Do you use a dap?

Mar 20, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #1,701 of 2,722

The A12Ts, for some reason, just sound really really muffled to me. I have also tried both apex module but they don't make huge difference. The bass is nice but it just feels a little too much for me. Other people seem to have really different experiences so maybe it's just not the right sound signature...

The VX and Andromeda overall sound much clearer to me and less fatiguing to listen to.

I'll be in Shanghai in a few days so hopefully (after the quarantine) I can listen to the Thieaudios, they sound really promising!

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,702 of 2,722

I agree. And the bass on the VX-S is much better than many of the folks on head-fi give them credit for. The more you hear them, the more they will impress.

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #1,703 of 2,722

Many folks get hung up on a DD for the bass. Just listen and compare the bass. I am at the point where I almost don’t want to know what is being used. It is the quality of it along with the midrange, etc. that interests me. I own a Fourte as well and bass on my custom VX-S is both tighter and has more impact. The Fourte’s bass is not bad, but the VX-S can still hit with more authority. Tks.

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #1,704 of 2,722
I own a Fourte as well and bass on my custom VX-S is both tighter and has more impact. The Fourte’s bass is not bad, but the VX-S can still hit with more authority.

Interesting variable there, though. I wonder if some of the quality of the VX bass in your case is because of the custom housing and if you would like the Fourte more if it was available custom? I know I wish my Trio was available custom. We may never know.

Mar 20, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #1,705 of 2,722
Interesting variable there, though. I wonder if some of the quality of the VX bass in your case is because of the custom housing and if you would like the Fourte more if it was available custom? I know I wish my Trio was available custom. We may never know.
A definite possibility. I had initially chosen the Fourte over the U18, but that was obviously a universal as well, and also just in store audition vs owning one for a long term. When I chose the VX though, it was a universal and I did compare it with the Fourte at the time. The VX-S also has a much better treble in my opinion.

Mar 20, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,706 of 2,722
A definite possibility. I had initially chosen the Fourte over the U18, but that was obviously a universal as well, and also just in store audition vs owning one for a long term. When I chose the VX though, it was a universal and I did compare it with the Fourte at the time. The VX-S also has a much better treble in my opinion.

Of course. I had a chance to listen to a VX universal for a little while. Good sound. I was also impressed with the fit, especially for a universal shell. Not enough to my liking to make me choose it over a Trio, though. Great hobby to have so many choices. Hope you like your Fourtes, too. I haven't had a chance to hear them. They are controversial if nothing else. Makes me very curious.

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #1,707 of 2,722
Many folks get hung up on a DD for the bass. Just listen and compare the bass. I am at the point where I almost don’t want to know what is being used. It is the quality of it along with the midrange, etc. that interests me. I own a Fourte as well and bass on my custom VX-S is both tighter and has more impact. The Fourte’s bass is not bad, but the VX-S can still hit with more authority. Tks.
Maybe there's a reason why people get "hung up" on DD bass? It's called preference btw.
I am not advocating one type of driver versus another, I am just saying I prefer the DD bass impact as do many people. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the bass on Anole VX. I have Voyager14 which is also all BA and has great bass which I love, but I still have slight preference for DD bass.

Here's a piece of advice: it's not a great idea to tell people what they should like. You're free to have your own preferences and opinions and so does everyone else. Tks

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #1,708 of 2,722
Maybe there's a reason why people get "hung up" on DD bass? It's called preference btw.
I am not advocating one type of driver versus another, I am just saying I prefer the DD bass impact as do many people. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the bass on Anole VX. I have Voyager14 which is also all BA and has great bass which I love, but I still have slight preference for DD bass.

Here's a piece of advice: it's not a great idea to tell people what they should like. You're free to have your own preferences and opinions and so does everyone else. Tks
Perhaps you misunderstood me. My point is that a BA bass can be better (tighter and even more impact) than a DD bass. So much depends on the tuning. To counter that, a DD bass can be better as well depending on the implementation and tuning, etc. So In summary what I meant was be more concerned with the quality of the bass and not necessarily how it is implemented. Obviously he preferred his Trio, and that is fine. It it is not great because it has a DD for the bass, it is great because of the implementation. Tks.

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #1,709 of 2,722
Of course. I had a chance to listen to a VX universal for a little while. Good sound. I was also impressed with the fit, especially for a universal shell. Not enough to my liking to make me choose it over a Trio, though. Great hobby to have so many choices. Hope you like your Fourtes, too. I haven't had a chance to hear them. They are controversial if nothing else. Makes me very curious.
My guess is you will probably like the Trio better. I find the Fourte to be too sibilant in the treble. The bass is good, but again I think the VX is superior. Obviously you will need to hear it for yourself, but don’t go in thinking it will necessarily be superior to the Trio. There was no Trio when I purchased it. Tks.

Mar 21, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #1,710 of 2,722
I use DACs. In fact, I'm mostly using an ES100 as I am currently on the move (great timing!). I also have a Q5s which did NOT play well with the Trio on the 3.5mm connection. Waiting to see what balanced output will do there. How about you?
Oh nice! I've considered the es100. As of right now I'm using a hiby R5. What is so bad with the Q5s? One dap I've been curious about is the ZX507, but I'm trying to just be happy with what I have!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back