Q701 impressions thread
Nov 19, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #4,696 of 9,602
Thurston,
From the description, the orange globes would be the ones I'd go for. I do have a pair of white-label Bugle Boys... And the one I sampled was really sensitive to microphonics, in fact I swapped them out because after a while it sounded like the ringing sound never completely faded away while my amp was on. The voskhod I have in now is a big improvement, though I'm not sure how it directly compares to the Sylvania I used a while back. So far, I've had better success with the mil-spec tubes, they seem better constructed so far.

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #4,697 of 9,602
Thurston,
From the description, the orange globes would be the ones I'd go for. I do have a pair of white-label Bugle Boys... And the one I sampled was really sensitive to microphonics, in fact I swapped them out because after a while it sounded like the ringing sound never completely faded away while my amp was on. The voskhod I have in now is a big improvement, though I'm not sure how it directly compares to the Sylvania I used a while back. So far, I've had better success with the mil-spec tubes, they seem better constructed so far.

I jumped the gun and ordered the 1961 large O getter Bugle Boys based on reviews I'd read.  I tried to contact the seller in an attempt to switch for the OGs, but he'd shipped.  I'm not complaining.  I'm looking forward to the BBs.  I'll use DeoxIT on them before I try them.

The main reason I'm not complaining about the BBs is that I discovered the Matsu****as I got from Upscale Audio sound great with the Q701 (great relative to my other tubes).  That was a very satisfying test today 
k701smile.gif
  esp. after how thin they sounded with the RTC E188CC, which is a great tube.  Next up will be the BBs on the Qs and the HE-500, but not until the weekend.

The mil-spec Reflectors are rocks.  Not as nice as your Voshkods, I reckon, but I'm not complaining.  I'll keep 'em until I don't 
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #4,698 of 9,602
What's DeoxIT? And where can I get some?

Hope you love the BB's, I think a lot of it is personal preference (and sample variation). Do you mean the reflectors are sturdy as rocks, or they're useless like a paperweight?

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #4,699 of 9,602

Hope you love the BB's, I think a lot of it is personal preference (and sample variation). Do you mean the reflectors are sturdy as rocks, or they're useless like a paperweight?

made by CAIG for years.  It's a cleaner solution made to clean a lot of different connection types/materials.  Good stuff.

http://store.caig.com/

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #4,700 of 9,602

LOL, I meant sturdy.  Tubes would make pretty useless paperweights! 
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #4,701 of 9,602
  made by CAIG for years.  It's a cleaner solution made to clean a lot of different connection types/materials.  Good stuff.

http://store.caig.com/

Is the "Gold" DeoxIT suitable for non-gold tube pins?  I ordered a DeoxIT kit from a store, and it comes with a small bottle.  I'm guessing it can't hurt, may help, but want to be sure.  I only have one pair of gold pin tubes, on which I will only use that.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #4,702 of 9,602

I had the Annie pads (flat/non-angled, super comfy memory foam) on the modded Q701 and couldn't stand the sound.  I tried with different sources, but ultimately I sold the pads.  I think if you like the sound from the Qs with the Annie pads, the bass port mod might not hurt, may even help.  As I'm sure you've read, the mod is easily reversed, so why not try it.

HTH.

One thing I'd like to try is the deeper K712 pads on a non-modded Q701 and see what that sounds like. Should be a good option for those that are not capable of doing the Q701 mod. K712 pads on the modded Q701 gave me too much bass and it was very nice for some music (like rock) but not so good for others. Kind of like warmth overdose. The mid-bass hump stuck out way too much and it reminded me of the one on the MDR-V6.

I really need to buy some K712 pads because I bet I could perfect the sound by removing the outer foam of the grill or replacing the grill itself with one that's more open.

Just a note that K712 and Annie pads are not the same. Annie pads for ME were terrible in comparison. Those were more likely to go flat and probably why AKG got rid of them. The K712 pads never went flat and were slightly more comfortable. I'm guessing they use a higher quality foam that retains it's shape better.

Someone who's not comfortable doing the Q701 mod should try some K712 pads (not Annie pads). I bet the results will be pretty good.

NOTE: I only tried K712 pads on my modded Q701 for maybe 20 minutes. I wasn't able to test anything else.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #4,703 of 9,602

Is the "Gold" DeoxIT suitable for non-gold tube pins?  I ordered a DeoxIT kit from a store, and it comes with a small bottle.  I'm guessing it can't hurt, may help, but want to be sure.  I only have one pair of gold pin tubes, on which I will only use that.

It's ok to use but not optimal because each metal oxidizes differently.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #4,705 of 9,602
Thurston, Evshrug and Kolloco,
Sorry, but in what weird language are u talking?
With such alien names, i bet u're from Pluto anyway... LOL
English traduction? :wink:)

I think Hairspray's Heisenberg Fluxinator is misaligned.  Can someone take the Quantum Magneto ship over there and do some maintenance?

(*grumbles*  damn synthetics, such a PITA)

wink.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #4,706 of 9,602
Nov 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #4,707 of 9,602
Nov 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #4,709 of 9,602
Thurston, Evshrug and Kolloco,
Sorry, but in what weird language are u talking?
With such alien names, i bet u're from Pluto anyway... LOL
English translation? :wink:)

Yup, you got that right. 
biggrin.gif

As far as my name, koi = japanese koi fish, loco = crazy.  Now that's another crazy hobby I've been in for too long.  If you think, HPs/amp/DAC... are crazy,  take a peek at this
eek.gif

http://www.genkikoi.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1996

How many Stax setup can I buy if I sold some of my collection?  This I often wonder.  :)

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #4,710 of 9,602
Hey, I've got a quick question on the Q701's. Does this bassport mod just add a bit of midbass to the sound, or help with extension/impact as well? I heard a properly amped unmodded Q701 and loved it for it's mids and highs, excellent for the music I listen to most (Live rock/prog rock/post rock concerts and Ambient/Post Rock), except I didn't like the extension of the bass. Their was enough presence for me, though I wouldn't mind more, the kick drum just felt a bit high in the mix in a vertical sense of the meaning. This was the first pair of open back headphones I've heard, so I honestly don't know much of what I'm talking about, but any comments would be great.

Also, would the K712 pads or another pair of pads help with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back