Q701 impressions thread
Sep 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #3,991 of 9,603
The only reason I initially brought up the aftermarket cable topic was because my green one is way too long and is already scuffing. There was no intent of changing the sound because I know from experience cables don't do anything really. I want a 5 foot thick sturdy cable with a 1/4" that's my only reasoning.

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #3,992 of 9,603
I know a lot of people say the cables don't matter. I'm still out to lunch on the issue. So I appreciate the advice. A 30 or 40 dollar upgrade sounds like a great place to start. Plus hey, my cans will look cool with a sweet looking after market cable. And who says looks don't matter? Your girlfriend's always the hottest woman in the room, right?

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #3,993 of 9,603
The consensus is that cables are the LAST thing you should upgrade, after you have already upgraded all other pieces in the chain (headphones, DAC, AMP, music files themselves).

Most people don't bother much with cables unless they're already using summit-fi gear.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #3,994 of 9,603
  The consensus is that cables are the LAST thing you should upgrade, after you have already upgraded all other pieces in the chain (headphones, DAC, AMP, music files themselves).

Most people don't bother much with cables unless they're already using summit-fi gear.

They have nothing else to spend on so cable it is :)
Ask any of those people if they are willing to put a bet on a blind test.  The answer would be "why should I?  if you don't believe that I can hear and appreciate the difference, go screw yourself"  We've been down this road many times before.  
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #3,995 of 9,603
Yeah, I'd get a cable for length convenience or aesthetics, but not acoustics. Unless you've got a really poor or damaged cable, you'll never be absolutely sure the sonic difference isn't just in your head.

I guess I shouldn't say "you" though, bad journalism.

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #3,996 of 9,603
I don't consent to that :) You should only change (no, not 'upgrade', as this is impossible) your cable if yours is a) broken b) not long enough/too long.

If you have to change it, take the cheapest one that is of the right lenght. You shouldn't worry about the looks of your cable. (No pun intended). Wearing headphones looks silly anyway.

Sorry all, I don't mean to be rude. It's just my opinion that as long as no measurements or blindtests show any results, you shouldn't use your money on cables. Just do the mod instead. It's free, and it really improves the sound.

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #3,997 of 9,603
Well, I'll be running it with the Glow, as mentioned.  A pretty great amp, if not true "top of the line."  A grand is about as much as I'd want to spend on an amp, and the Glow is pretty close to that.

So, a cable-related question:

If I've got the Q701 and my Glow, my source being an iPod Nano running 320 MP3 files...  what's the next most logical step?  A decent DAC?  So then, I'd run a line out docking cable from the Nano into the DAC, and then the signal into the Glow, right?

I know, stupid question perhaps, but I've never fooled with a DAC.  I assume a decent one does a better quality job of processing the MP3 data than the onboard one on the Nano.  Then, the Nano becomes simply the 'transport' unit for the setup, right?

At that point, I think I'd get a cable in order to look like all the cool kids do.  (And in that case, the $40 one recommended sounds good).  Or maybe I'd just paint my stock cable black, and put racing stripes on it?  Flames?

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #4,001 of 9,603
OH, man... I think that nails my goal right on the head.  Always dreamed about that great "headphone room."  Y'know... lava lamps, laser lights, black light paintings... the whole schebang.  I typically listen to cutting edge Vocal Trance when I zone out with my AKGs, so, that could fit right in.

Speaking of cutting edge, at a party this weekend I saw someone with a circa early 80s portable JVC stereo unit.  Y'know, the big monsters with the tape deck with manual buttons, and such and such.  I was 13 in '83, and man, my Sanyo went everywhere with me.  Sheesh, it weighed as much as me, too.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #4,002 of 9,603
If I've got the Q701 and my Glow, my source being an iPod Nano running 320 MP3 files...  what's the next most logical step?  A decent DAC?  So then, I'd run a line out docking cable from the Nano into the DAC, and then the signal into the Glow, right?

I know, stupid question perhaps, but I've never fooled with a DAC.  I assume a decent one does a better quality job of processing the MP3 data than the onboard one on the Nano.  Then, the Nano becomes simply the 'transport' unit for the setup, right?

In my experience, a decent dac does make mp3s sound better, even YouTube videos. But you'll never get the most out of it until you start using lossless files. Honestly though, switching to lossless before getting a dac seems like the most logical step. After that, getting a dac is the logical step.

Someone else should probably step in, but I always thought a line out dock was for connecting to an amp. I.e. it's an analog signal, not a digital one. There are dacs that can plug straight into an i device though.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #4,003 of 9,603
Well, I guess first, I'd have to know if my Nano could plug into a DAC, before I'd waste the money on buying one.  Or if the docking port on the Nano can function as a straight USB signal in this case, (as it does when connecting to a computer or charger).  I also have an Android phone with a USB connector for charging and data transfer, and that might work.

Second, I simply can't get lossless files for what I listen to.  90% and more of my headphone listening sessions are Vocal Trance.  That gets released monthly by whomever, on either iTunes, Amazon, or wherever on the net.  And it's always MP3 files.  It would be different if I was, for example, converting all my CDs.  But those days are long gone.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #4,004 of 9,603
  Well, I guess first, I'd have to know if my Nano could plug into a DAC, before I'd waste the money on buying one.  Or if the docking port on the Nano can function as a straight USB signal in this case, (as it does when connecting to a computer or charger).  

I'm afraid manbear is right: USB connection is not symmetrical, i.e. one device is a service provider and the other is a consumer. When you connect Nano to a PC, Nano acts as a provider. Based on that I doubt you will be able to make it talk to a DAC which is also a service provider. 
Apparently some tablets have the ability to act as a consumer, but I have no idea which ones. I've heard also that it is possible to modify the BIOS to make it do so. Not sure if I'd want to go down that path...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back