Q701 impressions thread
Oct 1, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #4,021 of 9,603
Lol. Just don't post that last statement in the k712 thread.
wink.gif

If I can get some of them to upgrade to the modded Q701, mission accomplished. Haha, just kidding. I don't even know what the K712 sounds like.
I imagine it's way darker than the modded Q701 for sure (and the Annie).

I won't be trying the K712 until it reaches $300. I just guarantee that the first thing i'll do is mod it! I will probably install Q701 pads on it also.

There were a few things I felt the HD-650 did better than the stock Q701, but now there is really not much. HD-650 is definitely not going to get much use now with the modded Q701 around.

HD-650 is so much easier to drive though. I tried my Q701 from my TV's headphone jack tonight and it's just harsh and nearly unlistenable. Not sure how the 650 manages to sound good from a horrible TV jack!

HD-650 improves with better amping but i've never found it hard to drive at all.

So yeah... some K712 fan needs to do a comparison against the modded Q701 and see what's different.

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #4,023 of 9,603
I've got the right side of the K712 opened up. 

I'm trying to put it back together, but that stupid snap-out piece won't snap back in.  The left side of the clippy part is literally driving right into another piece of plastic, and I don't see how it can get past that it to snap it back in apart from forcing it.  I hate that piece.

Nevermind, finally got it to snap back in.  I still hate that piece though. 
mad.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #4,024 of 9,603

I agree. Modded Q701 and even stock Q701 is much better than the Anniversary. A few people  say the Q701 + Annie pads is 99% identical to the Anniversary so I wouldn't suggest getting the pads.

Somehow they might actually sound better with the modded Q701 than the stock version!

I paid $70 for my Annie pads back earlier in the year but they've gone down in price a little.

You should try to get some K712 pads if you do want memory foam. They're a little different but somehow have the same part #.

I'm not a fan of the Annie pads because they make the Q701 sound too dark and congested. I lost some airiness and the low mids are too forward.

I swear that the modded Q701 is a way better improvement than getting an actual Anniversary Edition.

Now what people need to find out is if the modded Q701 is better than the K712. I know it all depends on preferences. I wonder if the K712 has more or less bass than the modded Q701?

I wonder if the modded Q701 has some of things people love about the K712?

I really would like to hear if the K712 has fuller mids than the modded Q701. I bet the modded Q701 has fuller mids and is actually clearer. Just guessing though!

Thought it'd be impossible to retain the stock Q701s treble AND improve bass quantity.

Yea, the Q701 IMO are definitely better than the K702 AE. I sat down and changed parts and pads and listened to both and there was barely any detectable difference aside from the pad swapping. The difference was so small that if you weren't intensively sitting side by side with them you wouldn't pick up on it at all. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #4,026 of 9,603
  Assembling and disassembling these cans are not the easiest tasks I´ve performed in a mod...

I actually found the mod for me was more of a pain than recabling my HD-598!
Somehow when I did the mod I had zero tweezers around and had to disconnect the headband piece temporarily.
Once you have tweezers it's about 10x easier I imagine. Using two thin flat screwdrivers would be even easier I think.

When soldering a new cable to my 598 I felt like I was performing brain surgery. Those soldering spots are so tiny.
Drilling a hole in the headphone also took about 1 second and it felt like the plastic was paper thin.

After nearly two weeks of use I think the only reason for that closed port is due to isolation. Modded Q701 has even worse isolation than stock by far IMO.
I seriously can't think of any other reasons.

Feels like I can hear so much more outside my headphone now..

This might sound nuts but maybe AKG never tried opening that port for the Q701
biggrin.gif

Maybe opening the port actually sounds very different or even worse with the K702/K701?

BTW I tried to get someone to try this before but no luck. Try to listen to the modded Q701 with no foam behind the pads. Sounds awful and the bass seemed even bloated.
You'd think that removing the foam would give you LESS bass but this is not the case!

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #4,027 of 9,603

This might sound nuts but maybe AKG never tried opening that port for the Q701 
biggrin.gif

Maybe opening the port actually sounds very different or even worse with the K702/K701?

I thought about this as well. I can imagine somebody at AKG hitting his head against the desk, or some hateful crossing looks between bosses and engineers... 
size]
 But in the end I don´t think that´s possible (or at least I prefer to think it).

BTW I tried to get someone to try this before but no luck. Try to listen to the modded Q701 with no foam behind the pads. Sounds awful and the bass seemed even bloated.
You'd think that removing the foam would give you LESS bass but this is not the case!

I might try this tomorrow... At the moment, I am just trying to go to bed, but my modded Q701 doesn´t allow me!!! It´s just so engaging to listen to!!!!

I am really considering buying another pair... While not at home, I just cannot stop thinking about listening the Q´s!!!

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #4,028 of 9,603
Hello, I'm curious about this mod mentioned in the past couple of posts. From my understanding its similar to the Sennheiser HD 558 mod? Removing dampening materials from ear cups. I have Q701, is there a guide on how to do the mod? Thank you.

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #4,034 of 9,603
Can anyone give me a link where to buy a custom cable for the q701 from somewhere around europe? (would love one from sweden if possible)

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #4,035 of 9,603

Listened through few EDM tracks, initial impression is that bass extends a bit deeper with a bit more thump. Feels like drivers are getting more air to breathe, the bass has more body to it but at the same time it feels looser and less controlled.

I don't find this to be true. It probably just sounds this way compared to the overdampened way it sounded before. To me it still sounds tight and impactful, except now it actually has a linear bottom end. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back