Q701 impressions thread
Sep 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #3,916 of 9,602
I really want to know Akg's reasoning behind putting that sticker over the bass port. It's truly remarkable how such a little thing makes such a large difference

I would like to know as well. I mean, this is/was AKG's flagship full size headphone, right? Why limit your flagship headphone?

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #3,917 of 9,602
  the mod you are talking about is removing the foam on the outside ear cup?

Pretty sure "the mod" is removing the tape cover from the "bass port" inside each earpiece, though tdock certainly posted a lot about experimenting with removing the foam from the "Q" grills.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #3,918 of 9,602
Sep 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #3,919 of 9,602

That's the one 
smile.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #3,921 of 9,602
Nevermind.

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #3,922 of 9,602

Pretty sure "the mod" is removing the tape cover from the "bass port" inside each earpiece, though tdock certainly posted a lot about experimenting with removing the foam from the "Q" grills.

If anyone is curious I've been using the modded Q701 with the foam installed behind the outer grill. Some may prefer it removed but I think the bass quantity is perfect with it installed.

BTW does the K702 have the little "vent" in the sides of the cup like the Q701? It's so small that probably gives you no audible changes. Not even really a vent.
It took me nearly 2 years to even notice!

The mids are now like those of a closed headphone but with the treble and soundstage of an open one. Didn't think that's possible!

Guessing i've had the Q701 modded for maybe two weeks now. Took me a while to figure out some differences. Basically it feels like it's just improving what was already there.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #3,923 of 9,602
Here's a crappy photo I took showing you the bass port fully open (center hole).
Was almost impossible to take this picture. Only one that turned out!
Kind of neat though.
BTW you can actually see two open rectangular sections of light coming through but the one on the right is not visible.
Maybe the K712 driver is more open? I bet you it is! Maybe 4 open areas instead of 2 but I doubt it..
NOTE: In order to see it like below you have to remove the outer grill and plastic part that's screwed in.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #3,924 of 9,602
I had to say it again. I love the voodoo of my Redco cable. :biggrin: The Q701 became easier to listen to in longer session.

Listening Enter Sandman from Metallica in the modded Q701 is delightful (although it´s better on Spotify than on Youtube).

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-E-LDc384[/VIDEO]

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #3,925 of 9,602
I'm going to try that bass boost mod. I recently tried the Q701s with just the ASUS Xonar Essence STX and the performance was disappointing. I set the amp option to High Gain, EQ disabled w/ Hi-Fi Mode ON, and my listening volume was at 40 in the Windows Volume Mixer. The highs were ear piercing and there was literally no bass at all. My previous setup was an ASUS Xonar DX + AKG k271 MK2 and that setup sounded so much better and way more fulfilling.

My budget is around +/- $200 and I was looking into getting a DAC Destroyer + Little Dot 1+. Do you guys have any other setups that you think would be better for around the same price? I read some mixed opinions on the E17 + E09k. How would the FiiO setup compare to the DD + Little Dot 1+?

Edit: I just discovered the Schiit Modi + Magni set for 200. Does anyone have any insight on these setups and which is best suited for the Q701s? Thank you

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #3,926 of 9,602
  I'm going to try that bass boost mod. I recently tried the Q701s with just the ASUS Xonar Essence STX and the performance was disappointing. I set the amp option to High Gain, EQ disabled w/ Hi-Fi Mode ON, and my listening volume was at 40 in the Windows Volume Mixer. The highs were ear piercing and there was literally no bass at all. My previous setup was an ASUS Xonar DX + AKG k271 MK2 and that setup sounded so much better and way more fulfilling.

My budget is around +/- $200 and I was looking into getting a DAC Destroyer + Little Dot 1+. Do you guys have any other setups that you think would be better for around the same price? I read some mixed opinions on the E17 + E09k. How would the FiiO setup compare to the DD + Little Dot 1+?

Edit: I just discovered the Schiit Modi + Magni set for 200. Does anyone have any insight on these setups and which is best suited for the Q701s? Thank you

Hard to say if the Schiit stack will work for you if you find the treble already too hot. I'd suggest turning on 0 gain on the amplifier control panel and then turning up the volume. Gain can have some negative effects. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #3,927 of 9,602

Hard to say if the Schiit stack will work for you if you find the treble already too hot. I'd suggest turning on 0 gain on the amplifier control panel and then turning up the volume. Gain can have some negative effects. 

Yea I tried that. The only problem was that the mids still seemed dull and the bass was still no where to be found. I just feel like the Essence STX is a little overrated when it comes to driving the Q701s. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #3,929 of 9,602
If your experience is that the Q701 has "literally no bass at all" than either something is wrong with the setup or these are not the headphones for you.  In that case I wouldn't throw more money at them with more amps/DACs.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #3,930 of 9,602
  So after some researching, I've come down to 2 setups. Either the DAC Destroyer + Little Dot 1+ or Schiit Modi + Magni. Anyone have experience with or opinions on either of these?

If your experience is that the Q701 has "literally no bass at all" than either something is wrong with the setup or these are not the headphones for you.  In that case I wouldn't throw more money at them with more amps/DACs.

I really have to agree with chicolom.

It's hard to give you a solid recommendation if you don't have a lot of other headphone experience to go off of. I.e. you can't say I really like the bass of headphone "X" but want the treble of headphone "Y". However, I'd speculate you'd want a headphone that had a more solid lower end and gives you more bass. Most people that are just getting into headphones want a better bass impact than a more refined treble region. Changing amplifiers isn't necessarily going to give your headphones a big bass kick. 

Are you running the STX stock? Can you plug the headphones into something else like an ipod or a phone and see if they overall sound the same? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back