Q701 impressions thread
Sep 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3,903 of 9,602
  I'm thinking of getting one terminated in a 1/4" plug since I use them in my tube amp 99% of the time.

You might have a better selection at Redco with a 1/4". Grado makes an excellent 1/4"-to-3.5mm extension cable adapter. I've got one for my Grados.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=232-472
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7117-grado-mini-adapter-cable-14-to-18.aspx

et al.

Might put a bit less stress on a 3.5mm jack vs. something like

http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-25-3-5mm-4-Inch-Adapter/dp/B003VGRDUK

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #3,905 of 9,602
  I still don´t know which cable I like better. I think that this cable is better with an unmodded Q701, but I think stock cable has better sinergy with modded Q701. :/

I read your comments on the cable and they are spot on with my impressions from a few years ago. People can say it's placebo all they want but I've heard it.
The Mogami W2893 seems to add some additional smoothness to the Q701s treble. I guess it's just difference due to capacitance and the entire setup.
It's a good thing you didn't use Canare Starquad. I hate that muffled sounding wire. I won't ever touch the stuff. Yeah MUFFLED SOUNDING COPPER! How..

The modded Q701 probably won't need Mogami. I don't like Mogami or Canare on the HD-650 (tried it). With the 598 Mogami is pretty good.

I also have a Mogami DIY Q701 cable but haven't use it much. Doesn't sound that much different but with some minor improvements.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't been able to hear from difference between cables since I switched from the HRT MSII. Not sure why. With the Mogami I still can...

My one (stupid) idea is that it's easier to "hear" differences in cables with more colored gear or equipment that is warm etc. I never tested this.

I noticed almost immediately that I could hear no difference with cables when I got my ODAC. Found that bizarre. Right now it's like under a 1% difference.

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #3,906 of 9,602
You might have a better selection at Redco with a 1/4". Grado makes an excellent 1/4"-to-3.5mm extension cable adapter. I've got one for my Grados.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=232-472
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7117-grado-mini-adapter-cable-14-to-18.aspx

et al.

Might put a bit less stress on a 3.5mm jack vs. something like

http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-25-3-5mm-4-Inch-Adapter/dp/B003VGRDUK

Wait what? Why would you do that? You guys do realize that Q701's 6.3mm jack is a screw on? You screw it off and there's a 3.5 mm underneath, so no need for extra cables or adapters.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #3,907 of 9,602
Pink floyd - Breathe and the great gig in the sky sounds so freaking good with the q701 :p

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #3,908 of 9,602
Wait what? Why would you do that? You guys do realize that Q701's 6.3mm jack is a screw on? You screw it off and there's a 3.5 mm underneath, so no need for extra cables or adapters.

You've got it backwards. I was referring to a 1/4" plug that requires an adapter for a 3.5mm jack. Advil said he was considering a custom cable terminated with a 1/4" plug. Thus, if he wanted to use that cable with a 3.5mm jack, he would need an adapter.

And were you correct in your supposition, a cable from Redco terminated with a 3.5mm plug would still require a different adapter than the one that comes with the Q701, as Redco cannot provide a 3.5mm plug that will work with the stock adapter.

Hope that clears it up.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #3,909 of 9,602
By the way, for anybody considering the mod: I don't believe in the whole cable snake oil and other acoustic-voodoo. But that mod makes an audible (and measurable) difference, so it's in a completely different league than swapping cables.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #3,910 of 9,602
By the way, for anybody considering the mod: I don't believe in the whole cable snake oil and other acoustic-voodoo. But that mod makes an audible (and measurable) difference, so it's in a completely different league than swapping cables.

Agreed

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #3,911 of 9,602
Sep 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #3,912 of 9,602

You've got it backwards. I was referring to a 1/4" plug that requires an adapter for a 3.5mm jack. Advil said he was considering a custom cable terminated with a 1/4" plug. Thus, if he wanted to use that cable with a 3.5mm jack, he would need an adapter.

And were you correct in your supposition, a cable from Redco terminated with a 3.5mm plug would still require a different adapter than the one that comes with the Q701, as Redco cannot provide a 3.5mm plug that will work with the stock adapter.

Hope that clears it up.

Yeah exactly. I'd rather just have a 1/4" and not have to worry about an adapter to use my main amp. On the rare occasion of using my E17 (which works great with these cans if I need a bass boost but I haven't since the mod) I can just use the stock cable.

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #3,913 of 9,602
Has anyone compared the K712/Annie to the modded Q701 yet? I will bet you money there are some that would prefer the modded Q701 to the K712/Annie. Not making this up. Yes, even those that want that fuller sound with more bass.
I would gladly pay someone $50 to measure the modded Q701 but too bad I can't at the moment. Just bought that Asgard2. Everyone bribe Tyll and bombard his inbox with requests! If he doesn't think it's an improvement than I'll retire and sell off all my headphones for good!!

I was comparing the modded Q701 to my HD-650 today and the Q701 is now just as full sounding as the HD-650 but it sounds clearer and has a little more treble. Low mids are full sounding but not shoved forward like on the Annie (for me).
Larger and more airy soundstage too. You can listen to the Buena Vista Social Club CD (latest favorite for testing) and "Candela" sounds pretty much nearly identical on both when it comes to everything but soundstage size. My HD-650 has a very good sized soundstage (depending on recording of course) so the modded Q701 isn't that much larger. The modded Q701 seems perhaps a little more accurate and won't simply make everything super full if it's not supposed to be like that. The modded Q701 might have just a tiny bit more bass than my HD-650 (this one doesn't have a large mid-bass hump). I'm 100% sure there is no bass bloat for me unless it's the recording.

With the extra bass I still have no loss of sound clarity or treble. The soundstage accuracy/imaging is just as good as the HD-650 now.

AKG should open all Q701 ports from now on! I'm not even going to call it a bass port anymore since it's basically just an improvement of many different things.

I was having a bad day to start until I got a chance to listen to my modded Q701. Ambient music sounds especially good. I was listening to "Hammock" and some from "Startle the Heavens" (if that's even considered ambient). I also like Near the Parenthesis and Loscil on the Q701. Some Ambient is way too repetitive though.

Right now there is no point of using my HD-650 unless it's just because it's easier to drive. With that I can not worry about using an amp 100% of time. Seriously to me it sounds pretty good/acceptable for short periods without one. A little darker though and more congested sounding.

Said this before but this is really the combination of the Q701 and HD-650. Yet it's clearer than both. Even the soundstage of modded Q701 is better than stock!

If I had spare cash to buy a K712 I'd gladly buy one and compare them. I might do it when they hit $300. Some headphones I thought I would hate I actually like quite a lot.

BTW I think with the mod it doesn't actually make it less neutral but MORE neutral. Yeah really. If you want a a ton of extra bass this mod won't do it. Now the bass is comparable to the HD-650 and MAYBE the Anniversary. The Annie might still have more low bass. I actually didn't hear a major improvement in bass quantity in the Annie over the Q701. A little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back