Q701 impressions thread
Aug 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #3,406 of 9,602
All I can say that I sat and listen to several dt models and all I can say is that I thought that they sounded pure s*** compared to my q701

I'm the same way with Beyerdynamic headphones. Just not a fan of their sound or presentation. The T1 was the only one I liked, but I'm not going to spend that much! :xf_eek:P

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #3,407 of 9,602
I think I'm coming back to the Q's.  After owning the K701, Q701 and the Annies.  I've come to the conclusion I like the Qs because they sit right in the middle for me.  Not to bright and not overly warm as the Annies can sometimes get.  I'm talking all stock here with just a cable mode.  Anyway - Qs, I'm coming back..

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #3,408 of 9,602
Quote:
I think I'm coming back to the Q's.  After owning the K701, Q701 and the Annies.  I've come to the conclusion I like the Qs because they sit right in the middle for me.  Not to bright and not overly warm as the Annies can sometimes get.  I'm talking all stock here with just a cable mode.  Anyway - Qs, I'm coming back..

After owning all three, I agree I prefer the Q701 as well... I don't think enough to keep them, but mostly because I prefer what the HD600 does better than what the Q701 does better. In ways they are very similar. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #3,409 of 9,602
Quote:

Same, but I haven't had a K701 in maybe 6 or 7 years and it was almost always using a portable amp. I was kind of clueless back then. I did have the K702 maybe 3 times. I spent so much money on that thing to try to get it to sound good. Like the HD-600 it was always a love/hate thing. I didn't start liking the K702 until I switched from the Asgard 1 to a Fiio E9. Now it makes sense if the E9 really is kind of dark. Never sounded that way to me.

Right now I plan on keeping my Q701 and HD-650 around forever. I have Annie pads for my Q701 and it's supposedly 99% the same. Not a fan of it at all and sometimes use the pads for gaming or rock music. HD-650 just does everything better than the Annie IMO.

I'd like to really hear the first K701 again with my own ears. I never remember it being bright at all which is weird. I think I was using a warmer sounding Ipod to a Headroom Total Airhead. Totally clueless but it sounded good to me! This was such a long time ago that LOD cables didn't really exist I think. The DT-990 and K701 were my first "expensive" headphones.

Sometimes I do wish the Q701 had a tiny bit more low-bass. Closer to the HD-650. Everything else is perfect. To my ears it has the perfect amount of warmth.

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #3,410 of 9,602
Quote:
Sometimes I do wish the Q701 had a tiny bit more low-bass. Closer to the HD-650. Everything else is perfect. To my ears it has the perfect amount of warmth.

Yeah - That's what took me to the Annies in the first place. However, you have to give up some space, air and speed.  Mot worth it IMO.. While the Annies sound pretty good.  Sometimes they can get a little closed and stuffy If you know what I mean..

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #3,411 of 9,602
After several hours of research between dt880 and q701 I've finally decided to order these. I hate the Quincy Jones branding and the in-your-face green cable, but I have been using PFE Iems for several years and I love highs and am not a big fan of muddy bass, and I am very curious to see how the soundstage of these will be like o.0, I only have an ibasso d10 for dac/amp so we'll see, should be here by the end of the week

I use the DAC section of my iBasso D12.
It's an excellent DAC for the money.

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #3,412 of 9,602
I love my Q701 even after getting the HE500.  I also wish it has a touch more low end so I don't have to EQ.  But there's nothing wrong with a +2 in the low range.  Great HPs for the $.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #3,414 of 9,602
I'm looking for open headphones and I'm kind of in between these and the HD598. I have a Fiio E17, a pa2v2 and a Little Dot tube amp. I wanted to know if these change/benefit from being amped in different ways? They look awesome and I love the lime green color! All I have right now is a pair of M50's because my other cans got stolen :frowning2:

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #3,415 of 9,602
Quote:
I use the DAC section of my iBasso D12.
It's an excellent DAC for the money.

o.o is the d12 not enough for q701?  
I keep hearing people run it fine with portable amps and others that it doesn't, what do you think? Can you run it with your D12? Also I've been looking for an amp to use with my d10 in case it isn't enough, preferably less than $200, was looking at the O2 amp but I heard it's lacking bass or something, which I figured wouldn't  be good with the q701

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #3,416 of 9,602
Quote:
o.o is the d12 not enough for q701?  
I keep hearing people run it fine with portable amps and others that it doesn't, what do you think? Can you run it with your D12? Also I've been looking for an amp to use with my d10 in case it isn't enough, preferably less than $200, was looking at the O2 amp but I heard it's lacking bass or something, which I figured wouldn't  be good with the q701

The JDS Labs C5 will run it no problem. Hell, my PCs' soundcards will run it, just not very well. Lots of discussion about the C5 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647838/jds-labs-c5-portable-amplifier-appreciation-discussion-thread-check-1st-post-for-review

Jon from JDS Labs participates quite frequently. As you'll read, it's a very neutral amp, but I find the low end of the Q701s to be very well represented with it. I broke it in for 100+ hours using just a PC soundcard (M-Audio Revo 5.1, which has an OK headphone amp). For me, they're an excellent combo.

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #3,417 of 9,602
Quote:

Do you use your Qs on the Emo?

Yes, preproman.  While the Emotiva does give the Q701 punchier low end, a touch more bass overall and of course, open it up a more, I don't think it's quite a good match like with the HE500.  Highs could be a bit harsh, very little that is for the Q701 on the Emotiva (HE500 doesn't have this problem).
IMO, the emotiva is not a warm amp at all.  When I get my taboo, I will compare both HPs on it and see if there's any difference, hopefully better synergy for the Q701.
After testing the Q701 on several amps at the recent meet, I believe that, at least for my taste, Q701 does great with a tube amps, even inexpensive one like Schiit valhalla.

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #3,418 of 9,602
What are your opinions on the e09k I would be pairing with the d10, the fiio is the best value I can get shipped here to canada, another option would be the ocean tube amp but I had heard the quality wasn't good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back