Q701 impressions thread
Jun 26, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #3,166 of 9,602
If anyone want an inexpensive, high quality silver-copper cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221229941471?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Just got mine and they are fantastic. Quite a different sound and the clarity is crazy over the stock cables. Most other silver-copper cables I looked at cost about 3-4 times as much. As I haven't heard any cables other than the stock ones, I can't give much of an opinion on sound, but I wanted a cheap cable to test to see if cables really make the difference before I go spending 3-500 for higher quality/longer cables. At around $55, I'm not sure it could squeeze out much more clarity and sound even with more expensive silver-copper cables.

Your link is blocked by eBay : they don't show the item.
On eBay as well, Zu Audio puts for auction its cables. For something like 60 or 70$ you'll find an excellent replacement for the Q701 stock cable, the best i've heard so far compared to plus sound, or mogami cables.

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #3,167 of 9,602
If anyone want an inexpensive, high quality silver-copper cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221229941471?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Just got mine and they are fantastic. Quite a different sound and the clarity is crazy over the stock cables. Most other silver-copper cables I looked at cost about 3-4 times as much. As I haven't heard any cables other than the stock ones, I can't give much of an opinion on sound, but I wanted a cheap cable to test to see if cables really make the difference before I go spending 3-500 for higher quality/longer cables. At around $55, I'm not sure it could squeeze out much more clarity and sound even with more expensive silver-copper cables.

So it did seem to make a difference? I was able to follow your link, and contacted the seller about a 1m long cable. I may get that because I'm always nervous about running my chair over my cable when I'm listening at my computer.

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #3,168 of 9,602
Whether cables really make a large difference in sound quality is a highly debated topic. I personally do not believe cables make much of a difference, especially compared to the drivers and sources themselves. Resistance in the wires does indeed make a difference. However this difference is usually negligible unless the cable is super long or you're comparing with a extremely terribly made cable with very high resistance. Otherwise you shouldn't be able to hear any differences provided there are no damage to the cables and that they are insulated well. You might hear tiny differences if you concentrate really hard. Otherwise what you might hear as a substantially improved sound quality just by switching cables is probably a placebo effect, because your mind WANTS you to hear a large improvement and therefore you do. Otherwise if you wish to make such a claim, provide blind tests results or verified measurements to support your argument. Claims without evidence is just baseless conjecture with no real value.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3,169 of 9,602
Totally understand that perspective. Lucky for me, I am mostly interested because I want a short cable less likely to get damaged, as it happens the white cable ought to look great with my white headphone, so I'll be happy even if it sounds the same.

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #3,170 of 9,602
Just got these cans today from a fellow head fier.....nice cans.

I got the white ones....they are definitely my new gaming cans and I will be listening to some music with them later....my wife is using them at the moment.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #3,171 of 9,602
Quote:
Just got these cans today from a fellow head fier.....nice cans.

I got the white ones....they are definitely my new gaming cans and I will be listening to some music with them later....my wife is using them at the moment.

Gratz.  You will like them.  I still love mine even after getting the HE500 recently.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #3,172 of 9,602
I'm sorry to say that after doing some more modding to my Fostex T50rp, including installing the Mr Speakers Alpha pads, my Q701 haven't been getting much use. My T50rp is all dialed in to where I want it and it just sounds better to me. Overall it sounds neutral and analytical, somewhat like the Q701, but just more linear. More linear meaning more sub-bass, with better bass extension, along with smoother upper mids/treble with even more top end sparkle/sizzle. Imaging is also much better on my T50rp, which is due in part to the narrower, but deeper soundstage. The isolation is also very nice right now since it's summer and my window A/C unit is kind of loud in the room where I do most of my listening. I don't plan on selling my Q701 though as it still has it's place in my small and limited collection.  

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #3,173 of 9,602
Quote:
Totally understand that perspective. Lucky for me, I am mostly interested because I want a short cable less likely to get damaged, as it happens the white cable ought to look great with my white headphone, so I'll be happy even if it sounds the same.

Oh in that case, there's a 1.2m cable with iphone controls for $12 on ebay. I have a problem with running over cables with my chair too. Received the cables a while ago. Feels pretty nice and not cheap at all.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #3,174 of 9,602
jasonb, good to hear you got your fostex dialed in the way you like it.  All the hard work surely paid off ! :)

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #3,175 of 9,602
Quote:
I'm sorry to say that after doing some more modding to my Fostex T50rp, including installing the Mr Speakers Alpha pads, my Q701 haven't been getting much use. My T50rp is all dialed in to where I want it and it just sounds better to me. Overall it sounds neutral and analytical, somewhat like the Q701, but just more linear. More linear meaning more sub-bass, with better bass extension, along with smoother upper mids/treble with even more top end sparkle/sizzle. Imaging is also much better on my T50rp, which is due in part to the narrower, but deeper soundstage. The isolation is also very nice right now since it's summer and my window A/C unit is kind of loud in the room where I do most of my listening. I don't plan on selling my Q701 though as it still has it's place in my small and limited collection.  

I don't know why but closed headphones always seem to have better imaging. The Q701's angled pads also seem to hurt imaging compared to flat pads. I think this is why the K601 seems to have better imaging.
Whenever I want slightly better low bass I just use my HD-650 or DJ100. The Anniversary pads don't really do anything in that area for me.

I was unfortunate to have the only un-moddable T50rp. Perhaps it was a lemon but I wasted hours and hours on it and never got anywhere. I don't even want to know how much money I spent on ridiculous modding materials. I worked on it so much that I even stripped 3 of the screws due to all the opening and closing of the thing. Luckily this was back when they were only $75.

I'd really like to compare a fully modded T50rp to my DJ100 at it's best. I remember getting glimpses of the T50RP sounding good but I had to do such weird things to it to get there.

I've been using the Q701 a ton lately with the E17 as a DAC with L7. Modi is better as a DAC but it's a little fuller sounding with the E17. I use my E17 a lot with my Xbox 360 and Q701. Seems to be good enough.

Don't sell the Q701 ever, you'll probably miss it within a few weeks if you ever do
normal_smile .gif

If someone offered me like $500 for mine right now I'd say NO WAY! Yeah i 'm that attached to it.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #3,176 of 9,602
Now that I've added the M-stage, i'm really enjoying my Q's so much i think i'm done with looking for amps currently. I know the m-stage isn't end game, but i'd rather focus on some new phones to see what i like. I love the Q's but i really want a different flavor for general listening, the Q's don't play nice with everything in my library. 

I'm really thinking i'll end up with a pair of HE-400's or maybe HD600's. I'd rather have the HE's but someone is selling the 600's locally for $250 and if i can bargain that price down, it'd be a good value on a new flavor. I'll be able to demo both the 600 and 650 to see if i even like them first, so that's a blessing. I'm looking for something a little smoother, with a more pronounced low-end. Something a little forgiving and fun. I THINK the HE-400's are what i'm looking for but without listening i wont know. If anyone could compare it would be great for me.

Anyways this is all down the road, i just bought a new computer desk, chair, and amp so i'll need to save a bit.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #3,177 of 9,602
Quote:
Now that I've added the M-stage, i'm really enjoying my Q's so much i think i'm done with looking for amps currently. I know the m-stage isn't end game, but i'd rather focus on some new phones to see what i like. I love the Q's but i really want a different flavor for general listening, the Q's don't play nice with everything in my library. 

I'm really thinking i'll end up with a pair of HE-400's or maybe HD600's. I'd rather have the HE's but someone is selling the 600's locally for $250 and if i can bargain that price down, it'd be a good value on a new flavor. I'll be able to demo both the 600 and 650 to see if i even like them first, so that's a blessing. I'm looking for something a little smoother, with a more pronounced low-end. Something a little forgiving and fun. I THINK the HE-400's are what i'm looking for but without listening i wont know. If anyone could compare it would be great for me.

Anyways this is all down the road, i just bought a new computer desk, chair, and amp so i'll need to save a bit.

i'm glad you like the m-stage. as i said, it was a great combination when i had my q701. i owned the he-400 before too and they work great together as well.
L3000.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #3,178 of 9,602
Quote:
Oh in that case, there's a 1.2m cable with iphone controls for $12 on ebay. I have a problem with running over cables with my chair too. Received the cables a while ago. Feels pretty nice and not cheap at all.

Nevermind that. The cable reverses the channels. Avoid it (Unless you don't mind that part)

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #3,179 of 9,602
Nevermind that. The cable reverses the channels. Avoid it (Unless you don't mind that part)

Aww. I got all excited whilst reading your earlier post. Sad face. D'you think all of that seller's cables have that malfunction, or is quality too suspect anyway?

I just found my 6m cable :D
Somehow it fell behind the ottoman with the secret compartment of audio and cinema goodies. Wonder how it got there?
------

1-MiC,
I tried the HE-400. While I think many will like it, I think it's LESS versatile than the Q701. Objectively speaking, the mids are pretty recessed, upper mids are almost clouded over, but it's also fair to say that it has a very "complimentary" (opposite?) sound signature in contrast to the Q701. But who am I to talk, I think I'm about to add a M-100 to my "collection."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back