Q701 impressions thread
Jun 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #3,136 of 9,602
Which desktop amp would you recommend for <$100 ? 

Xonar U3 has a 32-64ohm which drives my AD700 more than adequately at %25, it also has a >64ohm option. That should be enough for the Q701 right? Since Q701 is 62ohm? Is the Q701 a lot harder to drive than the AD700?

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #3,137 of 9,602
Quote:
Which desktop amp would you recommend for <$100 ? 

Xonar U3 has a 32-64ohm which drives my AD700 more than adequately at %25, it also has a >64ohm option. That should be enough for the Q701 right? Since Q701 is 62ohm? Is the Q701 a lot harder to drive than the AD700?

Probably the E09K or the Magni. 

Driving them isn't really about volume, because it's not hard to get them loud.  The E10 can do that just fine, and the U3 should be able to as well.  What the desktop amps will give you is some subtle but noticeable improvements in the soundstage, dynamics, and details.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #3,138 of 9,602
I play both drums and bass guitar for many years.  When I am on bass, my cabinet is 10x4 driven by a tube head.
When I am on my Roland TD10 drum set, my monitor is 300 watts.  Yes, the Q701 does not have the strong bass punch/impact but in no way lacking.
I have found the bass/low frequencies on the Q701 to be very clean and precise.  Bass lines sound wonderful and vivid.  Q701 is definitely not a headphone for bass heads who enjoy heavy, pounding bass.  Mid/treble are wonderful too.  I recorded myself on violin and piano and listen to the tracks on the Q701.  It was so scarily accurate and clear.
After several days of owning the Q701 and averaging 5 to 6 hours on it each day, I just love it.  I am trying to audition the HD800 around my area just to compare and possibly get one.

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #3,139 of 9,602
Quote:
I play both drums and bass guitar for many years.  When I am on bass, my cabinet is 10x4 driven by a tube head.
When I am on my Roland TD10 drum set, my monitor is 300 watts.  Yes, the Q701 does not have the strong bass punch/impact but in no way lacking.
I have found the bass/low frequencies on the Q701 to be very clean and precise.  Bass lines sound wonderful and vivid.  Q701 is definitely not a headphone for bass heads who enjoy heavy, pounding bass.  Mid/treble are wonderful too.  I recorded myself on violin and piano and listen to the tracks on the Q701.  It was so scarily accurate and clear.
After several days of owning the Q701 and averaging 5 to 6 hours on it each day, I just love it.  I am trying to audition the HD800 around my area just to compare and possibly get one.

Why would you want to play bass if you play drums?
Why do you think they call it a throne?           
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #3,140 of 9,602
It was a trade between me and my brother when we were little.
I taught him violin which I hated so much back then btw.  He taught me guitar and bass which I was not supposed to touch cuz they would mess up my finger tips for violin.  Obviously, I didn't care :)
Piano, drums, sax followed later when I finally realized that music is great and so much fun and really logical :)

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #3,141 of 9,602
I've received mine today, and really like them. The headband does not bother me at all (infact these are more comfortable than my 558s by a lot) and they have a very noticeable difference in sound. The only problem is that the treble is really harsh (for a lot of my music, which is really quite annoying).

Any recommendations on how to balance out the treble to make it smoother/less screeching to listen to? I have a Xonar STX as a DAC running to a (~10 year old) Onkyo receiver.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #3,142 of 9,602
Quote:
I've received mine today, and really like them. The headband does not bother me at all (infact these are more comfortable than my 558s by a lot) and they have a very noticeable difference in sound. The only problem is that the treble is really harsh (for a lot of my music, which is really quite annoying).

Any recommendations on how to balance out the treble to make it smoother/less screeching to listen to? I have a Xonar STX as a DAC running to a (~10 year old) Onkyo receiver.

If it's within your price range, Lyr is fantastic with the Q701 and will allow you to scale up to more power hungry headphones later on. It helps a little with the treble and adds a bit of weight to the low end. But regardless of what you put in your chain, the 701 will always be a bright headphone. If you don't like it now, no DAC or amp will change that.

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #3,143 of 9,602
I might have overstated when I said "a lot", but the treble is overpowering on a lot of my favorite songs - a few of which also had that problem with HD 558s. Unfortunately with Q 701s it has expanded a little. However, I still really like how they sound/their comfort/etc.

I could probably go for something like the Matrix M-Stage at most (or an Objective2 withholding the awful front-panel design), but $259 is pretty expensive for "just" an amp for one set of headphones.

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #3,144 of 9,602
Quote:
I might have overstated when I said "a lot", but the treble is overpowering on a lot of my favorite songs - a few of which also had that problem with HD 558s. Unfortunately with Q 701s it has expanded a little. However, I still really like how they sound/their comfort/etc.

I could probably go for something like the Matrix M-Stage at most (or an Objective2 withholding the awful front-panel design), but $259 is pretty expensive for "just" an amp for one set of headphones.

If your songs sounded too bright with the HD 558 then it's probably the recording and not any fault of the headphone. The Q701 will definitely accentuate any treble problems in a recording. I have never used the M-Stage or O2 but I don't think the Q701 pairs well with transparent/neutral amps so I probably would not pair it with the O2. It sounded a bit thin and harsh with the Magni as well. Not sure about the M-Stage though.

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #3,145 of 9,602
Quote:

Maybe that's how the songs are supposed to sound? I have a lot of crappy Jpop that sounds too trebly and just plain awful on any headphone with good treble. My HD-650, DJ100 and 598 make them a little more easier on the ears.
Everything sounds good with my 598 and HD-650 (usually). Actually even on the worst recordings the Q701 almost never bother me anymore.

Based on my experience, the Q701 is a lot smoother in the treble/upper mids when it has a good amp. Even the Fiio E9 is enough.
Strangely I also have an Onkyo receiver and don't think i've ever tried it with the Q701!

I've found it easy though to dislike the Q701 with the wrong setup. I thought an Ipod Touch 2G docked to the Magni was horrible. Totally brightness overload. To me the Ipod Touch is too thin and bright.

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #3,146 of 9,602
Quote:

If your songs sounded too bright with the HD 558 then it's probably the recording and not any fault of the headphone. The Q701 will definitely accentuate any treble problems in a recording. I have never used the M-Stage or O2 but I don't think the Q701 pairs well with transparent/neutral amps so I probably would not pair it with the O2. It sounded a bit thin and harsh with the Magni as well. Not sure about the M-Stage though.

Two songs where it is very obvious and painful are "The Birthday Massacre - Walking With Strangers", and "8mm - The One".
Quote:

Maybe that's how the songs are supposed to sound? I have a lot of crappy Jpop that sounds too trebly and just plain awful on any headphone with good treble. My HD-650, DJ100 and 598 make them a little more easier on the ears.
Everything sounds good with my 598 and HD-650 (usually). Actually even on the worst recordings the Q701 almost never bother me anymore.

Based on my experience, the Q701 is a lot smoother in the treble/upper mids when it has a good amp. Even the Fiio E9 is enough.
Strangely I also have an Onkyo receiver and don't think i've ever tried it with the Q701!

I've found it easy though to dislike the Q701 with the wrong setup. I thought an Ipod Touch 2G docked to the Magni was horrible. Totally brightness overload. To me the Ipod Touch is too thin and bright.

This is probably the case; if nothing else an amp to power them properly is all I would want. (Although, if an E9 is enough, shouldn't the STX be enough?/I can't tell the difference between the receiver and Xonar).

I'm also interested to know how your Q 701s fit, mine are comfortable but feel almost like they don't seal, but I'm just gonna guess the velour needs a bit of break in time since it's a little stiff.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #3,147 of 9,602
Quote:
Two songs where it is very obvious and painful are "The Birthday Massacre - Walking With Strangers", and "8mm - The One".

This is probably the case; if nothing else an amp to power them properly is all I would want. (Although, if an E9 is enough, shouldn't the STX be enough?/I can't tell the difference between the receiver and Xonar).

I'm also interested to know how your Q 701s fit, mine are comfortable but feel almost like they don't seal, but I'm just gonna guess the velour needs a bit of break in time since it's a little stiff.

You don't need a separate amp.  Just get some LME49860NA opamps and use a headphone output on the STX, it will smooth out the sound a lot and make it sound very organic. Trust me, you wont gain much, if anything with a separate amp unless you're willing to pay a lot of money. STX has more than enough power, too much for Q701's, and it sounds better than most amps you can get for 300 or less.

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #3,148 of 9,602
Well i'm going to do a trade with a fellow member, my magni for his Fournier HTA-1 hybrid tube amp and i'll see how that sounds. I've been intrigued to see how i like tubs paird with the Q's. I've heard it's silly to play against the strengths of the headphones, and i've heard it's nice to balance them out... So i'll just find out for myself what i like and don't like.
While i'm waiting for it to ship in I'm going to buy a Fiio e10 also just to see how it stacks up. I figured if i like the Fournier i can keep that, and probably grab a matrix m-stage down the line for a good SS amp. I'd like to have the option to get as much accuracy and detail out of the Q's for studio purposes.
But first i'm going to place my order for some Annie pads. After this is all said and done i I should have a nice mix and match thing going with the 2 amps and 2 sets of pads.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #3,149 of 9,602

The M Stage should work well with the Q701 and any other headphones you have.

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #3,150 of 9,602

I had my M-Stage on sale not too long ago for $165 shipped. PM me if interested. I had them with the Q701 personally before and they sounded excellent on the +10 db setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back