Q701 impressions thread
Jun 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #3,121 of 9,602
Hey Q701 gurus, I'm looking for something to upgrade to from the Q701s. I figured I don't need to upgrade my speakers since I can't use them all that much, so I started looking at headphones again. 

Problem is, I don't have a huge budget, maybe 600 at the MOST and that would mean saving a bit, but I'm also a huge fan of buying used.
I'm not really sure what kind of sound I'd want from a new pair, since my q701s sound pretty amazing with my e10/e9 combo, but I feel like I'm missing out on something in the music, maybe its bass. Listening to speakers (some dayton bookshelves with a polk psw10 sub, nothing great, but it works) is just more enjoyable, but I live with my family still, so I don't get to use em often.

So I'm looking for something that is better than the q701s, or at least makes up for their weaknesses, which may very well be an impossible task at this price range. I was thinking maybe something like he-400s or HD650s. If it isn't possible to get a good upgrade at this point, then maybe I'll put the money towards IEMs, but I'd like to know if there's something out there that's better that won't empty my bank account.

Edit- Another consideration, maybe the d5000s? I've not heard much about them, but a closed pair with good soundstage would be good too, but only if it sounded rather open.

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #3,122 of 9,602
take a look at Philips Fidelio X1. just got my pair yesterday and they are awesome. I loved my q701 when I had them but they were a little short on bass. this kinda reminds me of them but with bass that puts a smile on your face. :)

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #3,123 of 9,602
Quote:
take a look at Philips Fidelio X1. just got my pair yesterday and they are awesome. I loved my q701 when I had them but they were a little short on bass. this kinda reminds me of them but with bass that puts a smile on your face.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard much about those, I guess I'll look into those. After reading more about the HE-400s, those actually seem like a good choice. I tried the he-300s, and disliked them. They sounded veiled and like some cheaper cans. They did however have the most extraordinary lower-mids and bass I've ever heard, and since the He-400s are supposed to be similar, but more detailed and better overall, I was considering those.

It's not only the bass. I'm not a big fan of headphones with a lot of bass, but the 701s feel like they're missing something in that aspect, even with proper amplification, though they did improve A LOT with an E9.

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #3,124 of 9,602
The GR01 is close, but still has just a touch more bass than the Q701. The GR01 sounds a lot like the way I have my T50rp tuned, except the T50rp has more sub bass..
Quote:

I had the GR07 MK2 when I had the Q701 and they were as close as I could get...

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #3,125 of 9,602
Quote:
Hey Q701 gurus, I'm looking for something to upgrade to from the Q701s. I figured I don't need to upgrade my speakers since I can't use them all that much, so I started looking at headphones again. 

Problem is, I don't have a huge budget, maybe 600 at the MOST and that would mean saving a bit, but I'm also a huge fan of buying used.
I'm not really sure what kind of sound I'd want from a new pair, since my q701s sound pretty amazing with my e10/e9 combo, but I feel like I'm missing out on something in the music, maybe its bass. Listening to speakers (some dayton bookshelves with a polk psw10 sub, nothing great, but it works) is just more enjoyable, but I live with my family still, so I don't get to use em often.

So I'm looking for something that is better than the q701s, or at least makes up for their weaknesses, which may very well be an impossible task at this price range. I was thinking maybe something like he-400s or HD650s. If it isn't possible to get a good upgrade at this point, then maybe I'll put the money towards IEMs, but I'd like to know if there's something out there that's better that won't empty my bank account.

Edit- Another consideration, maybe the d5000s? I've not heard much about them, but a closed pair with good soundstage would be good too, but only if it sounded rather open.

Get a Fostex T50rp and mod it. I haven't touched my Q701 in a couple of weeks, I've been using the T50rp instead. They really are very tunable if you have the know how, and the patience.  

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #3,126 of 9,602

Hmmmm,
Try the Beyer DT880, you will definitely gain bass.
Basically, the DT880 is a very neutral headphone, so lacks a bit of the excitement that the Q701 has, or, in other words, the DT880 has a slightly more neutral midrange. You will not loose any detail or transparency when you go to the DT880 and a modern pair of DT880 will be slightly less bright than the Q701.
The FiiO E09 will drive any impedance the DT880 are available: 32, 250 or 600 Ohm.
They are also VERY comfortable.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3,127 of 9,602
I haven't heard much about those, I guess I'll look into those. After reading more about the HE-400s, those actually seem like a good choice. I tried the he-300s, and disliked them. They sounded veiled and like some cheaper cans. They did however have the most extraordinary lower-mids and bass I've ever heard, and since the He-400s are supposed to be similar, but more detailed and better overall, I was considering those.

It's not only the bass. I'm not a big fan of headphones with a lot of bass, but the 701s feel like they're missing something in that aspect, even with proper amplification, though they did improve A LOT with an E9.

I had someone loan me a pair of HE-400. They're a decent headphone and have amazing bass without being too much, but... What other headphones have you used before the Q701?
Imagine you had the Q701 but the bass was a hair more anemic. Trade the word "bass" for "mids" and that was my impression of the HE-400. That was my specific observation, everything from here on is my opinion (ok?). I know a lot of people like or would like the HE-400, but that little change in balance I did not like at all. If I had to choose another high-grade headphone instead of the AKG (which I am very happy with), I would pick up DT880 based on everything I've read about them, and use them with my tube amp and a tube that has a little mids-emphasis.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #3,128 of 9,602
Quote:

You might want to consider the K702 Anniversaries/K712 pro as well.  It sounds similar to the Q701 but is a bit warmer and fuller.  Soundstage is a bit more intimate sounding.

The HE400 has stronger bass and treble than the Q701, but the mids were slightly lacking for me.  Soundstage is a bit smaller than Q701.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #3,129 of 9,602
Quote:

You might want to consider the K702 Anniversaries/K712 pro as well.  It sounds similar to the Q701 but is a bit warmer and fuller.  Soundstage is a bit more intimate sounding.

The HE400 has stronger bass and treble than the Q701, but the mids were slightly lacking for me.  Soundstage is a bit smaller than Q701.

Are the anniversaries really different from the other models? It looks like just another aesthetic change and nothing else. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #3,130 of 9,602
the annie has added bass over the q701. i really like that color scheme along with the all black q701.

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #3,131 of 9,602
Quote:
Are the anniversaries really different from the other models? It looks like just another aesthetic change and nothing else. 

Seems to be rather controversial, I've read one review where the reviewer said the 65th sounded slightly worse than the Q701!

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3,132 of 9,602
Quote:

Pads are not the same . The Q701 and newer K70X use an angled pads , K702 ANV/K712 Pro use memory foam pad wich are not angled .

And about worse or not it depend on user preferences .

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #3,133 of 9,602

I would second the Denon. The AKG is a great pair (I sold a k702, realized I missed them, and bought the Q701), but what I thin you're missing is "warmth," particularly when you compare them to speakers. The previous generation Denon headphones (Dxxxx series) still gives you clarity, but adds a bit of warmth to the sound to make it more lush, but not veiled.

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #3,134 of 9,602
Just bought a Q701 from a fellow head-fi member. I currently have a Xonar U3 and Fiio E10. Will the Xonar U3 be sufficient enough to drive them?
I didn't find too much of a quality difference between the U3 and the E10, I'd say hardly any at all through my AD700. I'm considering selling my E10 if the Xonar U3 is good enough to drive the Q701 since the E10 doesn't have the dolby features like the U3.

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #3,135 of 9,602
Quote:
Just bought a Q701 from a fellow head-fi member. I currently have a Xonar U3 and Fiio E10. Will the Xonar U3 be sufficient enough to drive them?
I didn't find too much of a quality difference between the U3 and the E10, I'd say hardly any at all through my AD700. I'm considering selling my E10 if the Xonar U3 is good enough to drive the Q701 since the E10 doesn't have the dolby features like the U3.

A desktop amp is a step of from either.

I have an E10 as well but I don't think it's enough for the Q701s, as there is noticeable improvement in their soundstage and dynamics when running them through one of my desktop amps.

But if the U3 is doing everything that your E10 is doing, I suppose you could sell it.  Or hold on to the E10 and use its DAC to feed a desktop amp (not sure how it compares to the DAC in the U3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back