Q701 impressions thread
Mar 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #2,716 of 9,602
Quote:

Just arrived ... wow, these sound great.... how did these exist without my knowing about them?  I guess from all the comments, I was expecting some deficiency in the bass, but the bass is very ample and accurate sounding.  They're definitely bright, but not tizzy bright.  Guess I'll burn them in a while and see if anything happens!  Pleasant surprise!

I suggest burning them in while they are on your head! It works really well!
biggrin.gif

I wonder how many people have skipped them just wrongly assuming it was a K702 with a different color.

For me they're a LOT less bright with a good amp/dac. Mine have some slightly forward upper mids, but nothing else that sticks out too much. I actually think it's treble sounds neutral.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2,717 of 9,602
Just got a pair of these (in white).  Sound great (refurbs, so someone else ran them in for me!), and the bass is perfectly balanced to my ears (I have a subwoofer-filled house and tend to run them a bit on the hot side, so I am at a loss for how these are lacking in the LF realm).   All good in AKG-land.  

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #2,718 of 9,602
I have read that the 701 and 702 are the same phone, only with different pads. Is that true and if so do the pads really make a large difference in the sound? What about comfort, the 702's look more comfortable but that is just a photo. Most the statements I have read seem to favor the 701's and I was kind of wondering why if they are so similar.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #2,719 of 9,602
Quote:
 I have an idea what you're talking about, did he take a pic? Although this sounds like it could cost upwards of $4.99 or worse $7.99, defeating the purpose of my ch34p mod.

This one was with a $2.99 pad I think. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/1755#post_8714977

But it looks like you've already ripped out the entire headband, sliders, and elastics.  So getting a pad would be pointless as you no longer have a headband to apply it to.

In the process of doing your "ch34p" mod I'd say you also butchered their resell value.

confused_face.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2,720 of 9,602
Quote:

I suggest burning them in while they are on your head! It works really well!
biggrin.gif

I wonder how many people have skipped them just wrongly assuming it was a K702 with a different color.

For me they're a LOT less bright with a good amp/dac. Mine have some slightly forward upper mids, but nothing else that sticks out too much. I actually think it's treble sounds neutral.

Agree with everything you say.  I DO burn them in on my head..... just augment that by playing them overnight and while I'm at work as well.  They are well amped here and sound great --- the Lyr sounds great, but the LD MKIV sounds fantastic.  Even straight out of the Dragonfly sounding wonderful.

Treble ... DOES sound neutral coming from a Beyer 880.... but bright coming from a pair of Mad Dogs

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #2,721 of 9,602
I've revised my 65th pad impressions. I had an issue with my setup (bad cable) that caused the mids to be really shoved in my face (maybe some other random weirdness). Everything else seemed OK, so the impression didn't vary too much. One of the weirdest things to happen lately.

So TL;DR, for best results with 65th pads you should remove the outer grill foam. With it installed I found it had less treble than my HD-650 and it was slightly more fatiguing in the mids. Male vocals especially sounded a bit "off". Not a huge difference, but with no foam the sound is smoother. You can still use the 65th pads with the stock foam, but it's not suggested. Again, not a huge difference between foam and no foam.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/2685#post_9273750

Right now it sounds pretty close to my HD-650. My HD-650 still has a little better low bass, but both are good. I should do a comparison of them.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #2,723 of 9,602
Any Q701 lovers have experience with the LCD-2? I've been eying one, and just really got the $700 for a used pair. Wanting to know if the treble is to lacking for us Q701 lovers.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #2,724 of 9,602
Just arrived ... wow, these sound great.... how did these exist without my knowing about them?  I guess from all the comments, I was expecting some deficiency in the bass, but the bass is very ample and accurate sounding.  They're definitely bright, but not tizzy bright.  Guess I'll burn them in a while and see if anything happens!  Pleasant surprise!

I also found the bass (and mids) to sound ample and full. I only occasionally use basshead cans and generally don't prefer them (so that's my background), but I don't understand where the "cold, analytical" stereotype came from. Lol, stereotype. Sounds like a pun.

Any Q701 lovers have experience with the LCD-2? I've been eying one, and just really got the $700 for a used pair. Wanting to know if the treble is to lacking for us Q701 lovers.
Mad Lust Envy just got his hot-potato hands on a pair of LCD2s after getting used to (and loving, and raving about) the AKG K701 65th Anniversary headphones. Check his impressions, but IIRC he thought they were really similar, but the LCD2s sounded slightly more refined and the Annies pleasantly balanced? So, of course his decision was to sell the one that cost half as much and he'd been enjoying for an unusually long 2.5 months. Some people say the LCD3 is even better than the 2, I don't remember why. I'd like to try the HD800 some day, lots of people say those are the "natural" upgrade from AKG's current flagships, but I'm already experienced with diminishing returns and honestly I am quite happy with my Q701.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #2,725 of 9,602
Sweet, I actuslly read that the HE-500 has more treble than my He-400, and that the LcD-2 is lacking in the treble region. That being said, I think if I can sell my 2 pairs of He-400, I'll have to pick up some HE-500 goodness. I recall that before sending em in for warranty replacement since I blew out the driver with my lyr, the Velour earpads added a bit of treble. When I get home tonight, I will have to fire up the system and test the He-400 with velour again.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #2,726 of 9,602
I've now got the EHP-O2D and I have to say its a very good combo but I think I don't really like all the music anymore. There is really zero hiss. Recording hiss is there if its in the recording. There is some minor fatigue going on and harshy sounds. Also in electro music I dislike the flabbery mid-bass stuff sometimes. Its just so sharp that the sound becomes too unnatural (heh, electro as it is). Over half my music is now total scheiSSe bc of fail quality. I haven't tested if I can hear a difference between 320 and flac but on some recordings I think I would. I think there really isn't any difference in some recordings due to that there really isn't any (or very very little) information above the 320 mark. Anything below 320 is listenable but clearly lower quality. Also the recordings are bad sometimes regardless of bitrate quality. I think what I've read about these phones is now coming a reality for me. If the recording is full in sound then I hear it like that but if its dull, then you hear that. I sometimes wish for some mellowing to smooth out some things as these are very very articulate and sharp. Its like you can hear just what is in the recording, nothing more, nothing less. I can totally understand why these are not for everyone. Don't get me wrong here, personally I love them as they are. They are, for me, the perfect headphones, minor setbacks included. I just need to update more of my music library. :D

I think I'm getting into dubsteb etc music making sometime in the future and have no fears of these not working for it. The bass is very nice. I haven't tested them out of my guitar amp yet, but am tempted to try it out.

I've been listening to music differently now and what I've got out from it was that I just don't like some sounds and music that much. I try to feel it. Is this nice, is it comfortable? And several times its not, which bugs me. Some music just sounds slightly uncomfortable. Its like the music doesn't sound the way I want it to. Maybe I'm expecting something that isn't possible.

Still haven't done anything with the headband. I think I will ask someone what they can do to it and go from there.

Do you have any dubstep/electro to suggest? Where to get it? I really want some high quality electro stuff.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #2,728 of 9,602
If you like dubstep, check out Seven Lions. He fuses dubstep and trance and the result is spectacular.

And for trance lovers, Oceanlab's album "Sirens of the Sea" is phenomenal. Very well made and the vocals are just stunning. The Q701 really brings out the detail here.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #2,729 of 9,602
I've been listening to them everyday for the past week. I don't think they will change that much after xxx amount of hours. The bass is definitely there, it's just not impactful enough for me since I listen to electronic, trance, house, progressive, rap/hip hop. I do like their mids, highs, and soundstage/separation though... I was thinking maybe HD600 or DT880? Any other opinions?

Sounds like you need to try a pair of DT880!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back