Q701 impressions thread
Mar 18, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #2,686 of 9,602
Interesting.... There is no way I am modding my Q701 at all though. They are my all time favorite headphone and I am not doing anything with them besides simply wearing them. I'm not opposed to modding headphones, I do have a T50rp that I mess with, but I am just not going to mess with the perfection of my Q701. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2,687 of 9,602
Quote:
Interesting.... There is no way I am modding my Q701 at all though. They are my all time favorite headphone and I am not doing anything with them besides simply wearing them. I'm not opposed to modding headphones, I do have a T50rp that I mess with, but I am just not going to mess with the perfection of my Q701. 

Not really a mod and takes 10 seconds to remove the pads (twist on) and then another 5 to remove the outer grills. The outer grills can be a pain if you use small scissors. Those Priority Mail labels at the post office work best. Just make sure you reuse them afterwards or you go to jail!

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #2,688 of 9,602
I know it's not really a mod or at least not a permanent one, but I have a habit of fixing what isn't broken and regretting it later. So I have promised myself to just not mess with my Q701. 

I really have no complaints about the Q701 anyway. I love them the way they are. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #2,689 of 9,602
Hmmm... I'm thinking about returning my Q701's. They are excellent for gaming, very comfortable, and are pretty good for music. I just find that they don't have enough sub bass impact/slam for me. I tried EQing them and they don't really respond to bass EQ that well IMO. I don't plan on modding or purchasing the Anniversary pads either... any recommendations for any open headphones with more sub bass impact/slam while retaining good mids and soundstage/separation?

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #2,690 of 9,602
Quote:
Hmmm... I'm thinking about returning my Q701's. They are excellent for gaming, very comfortable, and are pretty good for music. I just find that they don't have enough sub bass impact/slam for me. I tried EQing them and they don't really respond to bass EQ that well IMO. I don't plan on modding or purchasing the Anniversary pads either... any recommendations for any open headphones with more sub bass impact/slam while retaining good mids and soundstage/separation?

There are always compromises. I can't name an open headphone that has what you are looking for. Maybe an Audeze or Hi-Fi Man ortho... 

You may get used to the Q701's bass after a bit of use. How long have you had them, and what kind of music are you using them for? 

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #2,691 of 9,602
Quote:
There are always compromises. I can't name an open headphone that has what you are looking for. Maybe an Audeze or Hi-Fi Man ortho... 

You may get used to the Q701's bass after a bit of use. How long have you had them, and what kind of music are you using them for? 

I've been listening to them everyday for the past week. I don't think they will change that much after xxx amount of hours. The bass is definitely there, it's just not impactful enough for me since I listen to electronic, trance, house, progressive, rap/hip hop. I do like their mids, highs, and soundstage/separation though... I was thinking maybe HD600 or DT880? Any other opinions?

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #2,692 of 9,602
Quote:

I've been listening to them everyday for the past week. I don't think they will change that much after xxx amount of hours. The bass is definitely there, it's just not impactful enough for me since I listen to electronic, trance, house, progressive, rap/hip hop. I do like their mids, highs, and soundstage/separation though... I was thinking maybe HD600 or DT880? Any other opinions?

You've definitely given them a fair chance already in my opinion. I wasn't suggesting that they will change after a certain number of hours. I never really noticed any change in mine and I've got at least 500 hours on mine. I was suggesting that you'd get used to their sound, but it seems like you have given them a fair chance already. I don't think the HD600 has more bass, the HD650 barely has more bass. You might need an open ortho. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #2,693 of 9,602
Quote:

The HD-650 has a tad more low-bass presence, but probably not enough for you.
You could always try the DT-990, but you'll lose some of your mids.

I haven't heard many open headphone with very present low bass. HD-650 is good enough for me.

I need to try a Hifiman headphone when I get richer.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2,694 of 9,602
Quote:
I know it's not really a mod or at least not a permanent one, but I have a habit of fixing what isn't broken and regretting it later. So I have promised myself to just not mess with my Q701. 

I really have no complaints about the Q701 anyway. I love them the way they are. 

Same. I really don't need anything to change with them, but I was dumb and bought the 65th pads anyway.

I'll know in a week if I prefer the Q701 stock or with 65th pads. Right now I definitely prefer the Q701 stock. The little extra warmth from the 65th pads is a nice bonus though.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #2,695 of 9,602
Quote:

Same. I really don't need anything to change with them, but I was dumb and bought the 65th pads anyway.

I'll know in a week if I prefer the Q701 stock or with 65th pads. Right now I definitely prefer the Q701 stock. The little extra warmth from the 65th pads is a nice bonus though.

I just use a 2db bass boost from my E17. It's just the perfect amount of bass and warmth for me. I even have no problem when it comes to impact and sub-bass. I have a system in my car that hits real hard, and I have a home theater that digs deep, so yes I have heard good sub-bass and felt good bass impact before. I still prefer to listen to music with my Q701 over both.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #2,696 of 9,602
Here's my impressions of the 65th Anniversary pads on the Q701 (outer grill foam removed):

1. More forward low mids.
  2. A little more warmth. Male vocals sound a little better. It does NOT have the warmth of an HD-650 (IMO).
  3. Not much increase in very low bass presence. If you didn't hear it on the Q701, it won't be on the 65th.
  4. More of a mid-bass hump compared to stock. Barely noticeable.
  1. Sounds like it has the same amount of mid-bass as the K601, but warmer. Weird right?
  1. Sounds like it has about 3-5% more mid-bass than stock.
  2. Possibly a waste of $73 for such a small improvement. I felt it's worth it, but barely.
  3. For best results, outer grill foam needs to be removed. It's easy! Use less sticky tape and turn counter clockwise.
  4. Too dark with outer grill foam. A little more muffled (does not apply to stock Q701)
  5. A little more forgiving of harsh/bright recordings.
  6. Sounds pretty smooth
  7. Comfort is about the same as stock Q701 pads.

EDIT: I had an issue with my setup that was making everything sound harsher than before. This was making it sound like my 65th pads were shoving the lower mids in my face.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #2,697 of 9,602
AD700 is pretty loose for pretty much anyone, though I wouldn't describe them as having zero clamp on my head... Just like 60% of the clamp of my Q701's.

I really want my right ear to unclog of ear wax build up, I want to listen to music right now! This happens to me every once in a while, hard to get out the deep stuff and I'm always careful not to get too invasive. If anyone else has this problem, I had a doctor flush out my ear with warm, clean water and a special syringe the first time it sealed up with ear wax about 8 years ago, and she recommended I get my own ear-wax removal syringe and flush it if my ear sealed up again. I've only had my ear completely close up a few times since then (usually if I was sick), sounds like your ear is waterlogged & feels uncomfortable. I'm not going to flush it now, I know we need some ear wax in general, but there's a bit more than normal right now & it's uncomfortable. My body's been all out-of-wack this past year due to stress.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #2,698 of 9,602
As a K701 owner I'm surprised that the Q701 is getting so much love while the K701's reputation continues to stay polarized between love it and hate it. 

I'm not arguing the conclusions drawn by OP as I have never listened to the Q701. If anything OP has convinced me that I really should give it a try. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #2,700 of 9,602
Well, a great deal of people in the Q701 thread prefer the Q701 to the HD650. It seems like in general, most people prefer the HD650, though. I have an HD650 and my friend got a Q701; I'm looking forward to swapping and trying them out this spring break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back