Q701 impressions thread
Mar 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #2,701 of 9,602
Quote:
Well, a great deal of people in the Q701 thread prefer the Q701 to the HD650. It seems like in general, most people prefer the HD650, though. I have an HD650 and my friend got a Q701; I'm looking forward to swapping and trying them out this spring break.

Please post your impressions!  I currently have a Q701 as well and have been eying the HD 650's for quite some time.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #2,702 of 9,602
Have any of you ever tried the Q701 from the old Ipod 3g (monochrome)?
Well if for some bizarre reason you want to use a portable player for around the house with the Q701, that's one that works quite well.
One of the first portable players that I've used with the Q701 that didn't disgust me or fatigue the heck out of my ears.
I used it for an hour without any complaints. No external amp.

Usually when I use the Q701 with a portable player or very weak source the sound is thin and harsh. When very well amped it's never like that.

That thing is also one of the first players that seems to drive my DJ100 as well as my main setup. I don't really like it on anything else.

My guess is that thing has more power output that most of the current Ipods and portable players. I should check into this.

It's also slightly warm, but not as much as the Clip+. It also has a much larger soundstage than the Clip+ and my Ipod Touch 2G.
Sounds better than the Ipod 5.5G too.

Unfortunately it requires it's Firewire wall wart for charging but can sync by USB. It was my first Ipod and still the one that sounds the best to me.
Sounds like the Modi but with a little more warmth.

Looks like it's 30mw into each channel at 32ohm.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #2,704 of 9,602
As a K701 owner I'm surprised that the Q701 is getting so much love while the K701's reputation continues to stay polarized between love it and hate it. 

I'm not arguing the conclusions drawn by OP as I have never listened to the Q701. If anything OP has convinced me that I really should give it a try. 

I was always interested in the K701 based on descriptions of it's sound signature and reading between the lines, though I also was in love with the unique look. I also thought the bumps would be extra comfortable :rolleyes: When the Q701 came to my attention as a slightly cheaper headphone more balanced between bass/mids/treble, I jumped on it. One of the most desirable sound aspects in a headphone, for me, is a great, immersive, almost realistic soundstage; the Anniversary K701 is probably a great headphone but I don't want to trade more of that soundstage from the Q701.

Well, a great deal of people in the Q701 thread prefer the Q701 to the HD650. It seems like in general, most people prefer the HD650, though. I have an HD650 and my friend got a Q701; I'm looking forward to swapping and trying them out this spring break.

Tsujigiri, some people on the E12 thread think that amp makes the HD650 sound darker, could you weigh in on that a bit? Because the Mont Blanc doesn't seem to have that effect on the Q701 to me.

Have any of you ever tried the Q701 from the old Ipod 3g (monochrome)?
Usually when I use the Q701 with a portable player or very weak source the sound is thin and harsh. When very well amped it's never like that.

My guess is that thing has more power output that most of the current Ipods and portable players. I should check into this.

It's also slightly warm, but not as much as the Clip+. It also has a much larger soundstage than the Clip+ and my Ipod Touch 2G.
Sounds better than the Ipod 5.5G too.

I had what I think was the 3rd generation iPod, the one with the monochrome screen and touch-sensitive controls. I loved that sucker too, but I gifted it to my sister when her nice CD player we got her died. Later on the screen got completely messed up... Now I am remembering that was the point I decided it wasn't worth giving her nice things. Steve Jobs really pushed for the iPod to have more power (I guess especially with the early iPods, later on perhaps that eroded in the quest for thinness and battery life), and those early iPods won out so majorly compared to other harddrive and MP3-CD players back then in part because this elegant little device sounded so good.
If you think your old iPod sounds good, you ought to look up the old gum-stick shaped Shuffles. Less storage and controls, but they had an even MORE powerful amp, I remember reading about it (I think on Macworld) and listening to one in highschool art class and being impressed.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2,705 of 9,602
Quote:
Tsujigiri, some people on the E12 thread think that amp makes the HD650 sound darker, could you weigh in on that a bit? Because the Mont Blanc doesn't seem to have that effect on the Q701 to me.

Darker? Did they mean relative to the headphone being unamped or relative to other amps they have? I don't have a lot of experience with amps, but I can say that they don't really sound darker to me compared to them unamped.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #2,706 of 9,602
I don't want to derail this thread, but Bill-P's post here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620339/fiio-flagship-portable-amp-mont-blanc-e12-discussing-thread-the-pre-order-unit-arrives/1635#post_9272665

Just thought you could set the record straight. Overall though, amps are more similar than different headphones, getting down into amp differences is kinda elitist, to paraphrase something Boweii said (which I agree with). That said, I gotta listen more to my tube amp with the Q's, addicted! My Mom's bf also borrowed my L11 + Zigis tube amp + Q701 setup to get a more revealing monitor of his music tracks he's been trying to record over the past few months. My setup may not be neutral, but mostly he wanted to hear the difference between mics used in recording.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #2,708 of 9,602
I'm giving up on my Q701s. The rattling on my first pair was really bad and amazon was quick smart to send me a replacement pair that started doing the exact same rattle only on the opposite driver. So now i'm left trying to decide what i should get instead. @__________@

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #2,712 of 9,602
I put an END to its reign of migraine inducing terror!!!!!

function
--form--

Try a child seat belt pad like Chico used. :)

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #2,713 of 9,602
Just did a search for "chico" in this thread and came up w/ nothing. More to his/her name? I have an idea what you're talking about, did he take a pic? Although this sounds like it could cost upwards of $4.99 or worse $7.99, defeating the purpose of my ch34p mod.

deadhorse.gif

smiley not relevant, but it makes me laugh

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #2,714 of 9,602
The guy that posted above chicolom. He did post a pic but not sure if in this thread though. If he reads this he might just put the pic himself. Not sure of the price but definitely looks better. :)

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,715 of 9,602
Quote:
I've never owned or heard an AKG brand phone before, so I thought I'd give these a try.  I have a set of factory refurbs from Harmon Audio on the way, should be here this week.  Looking forward to see how they sound out of my Lyr  ( I figured the Lyr would be the best amp I own to give them a chance to shine out of the box).

Just arrived ... wow, these sound great.... how did these exist without my knowing about them?  I guess from all the comments, I was expecting some deficiency in the bass, but the bass is very ample and accurate sounding.  They're definitely bright, but not tizzy bright.  Guess I'll burn them in a while and see if anything happens!  Pleasant surprise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back