Q701 impressions thread
Mar 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #2,671 of 9,602
Quote:
FWIW, Ive really been enjoying the Q701's/Schiit combo! I noticed with more usage that the treble harshness has mellowed quite a bit without loss of the low end ranges.

Thanks to all who answered my n00b questions before pulling the trigger on this setup!

I just ordered the Lyr/Bifrost combo and feel like a kid before Christmas waiting on it to arrive in the mail! I'll be sure to post up how I feel about the combo compared to using my portable E12, although I can almost assure myself now it'll be quite the experience regardless 
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #2,673 of 9,602
I've started to listen to my Q701 with a La Figaro 336C.
It's an OTL tube amp.
Maybe it is because I started using NOS tubes, but I'm really starting to like this combo!   
biggrin.gif

I tried this combo when I first got the 336C, and I didn't like it, but that was before I started using various NOS tubes.

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #2,674 of 9,602
Just got the Q701's in. Comfort is pretty good. The bumps on the headband don't bother me at all... I can wear these for hours. But the cable... does anyone else think the bright lime green color is a little weird looking?

From my first few minutes of gaming with them, I can tell you they are amazing for competitive gaming. The soundstage and imaging is excellent. I can easily pin point where enemies are coming from in FPS games.

For music they are pretty good as well. To me, they are very clear and balanced sounding. Mids and treble are superb. Airy sounding with good instrument separation. Bass is neutral... it is there, but it's not emphasized. It's in line with the mids and highs. If you are coming from a closed back headphone with a lot of bass, these will definitely feel like they lack bass impact and slam.

Overall I like these. Not sure if I want to keep them yet. I'm curious to see what the other 'Big 3' mid-fi headphones sound like...

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2,675 of 9,602
I got my Q701's from amazon back in Nov, Last month i started to notice a slight rattle that became harder to ignore, specific bass tones started making my right ear rattle very badly (for example the bass when you click in the age of empires 2 menu) it was to hard to ignore so i told amazon and they quickly sent me another pair without any hassle i was so impressed with their service. I've now got my new pair but this time it only took a few days to notice the rattle developing only this time it's the left cup. It's as bad if not worse than the first pair :frowning2:

I'm so lost as to what the problem is and what i should do :frowning2:
I just want my headphones to stop rattling :frowning2:

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2,677 of 9,602
I dont know what audacity is or how to use it
I've heard the rattling in all kinds of places, games, movies and music. The IGN intro on youtube even does it :frowning2:

(at the start of this vid for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mRp6Lgd5g )

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #2,678 of 9,602
Quote:
I've heard the rattling in all kinds of places, games, movies and music. The IGN intro on youtube even does it :frowning2:

(at the start of this vid for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mRp6Lgd5g )

I'm not hearing any type of distortions or rattling on mine. Try swapping out different headphones to see if it's the headphones themselves. Also try playing music on different sources (ipods, iphones, cd players etc...).

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #2,679 of 9,602
Quote:

For me rattling was happening in the left driver at around 200 Hz. I sent mine back and luckily the next set was fine.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #2,681 of 9,602
By getting the k702 anniversary edition pretty much

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #2,682 of 9,602
Quote:
I love these headphones, but the headband is just horrible.  How do I get a more comfortable headband?  The K240 HDIIs were wonderful in that department!

I guess some tailor could sew you some padding along with some leather onto the bottom of the headband. Other option is to have someone remove the bumbs and put another sleeve of leather on top, possibly along with some padding. Something along the lines of this is what i'm gonna do.

Option 1: insert harder (same hardness as the original) padding to fill the gaps of the original bumbs, insert softer padding on top of that, finish with leather sewn onto it.

Option 2: Remove the bumbs and insert softer padding, finish with leather sewn onto it.

Any ideas or thoughts about this?

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #2,684 of 9,602
I've never owned or heard an AKG brand phone before, so I thought I'd give these a try.  I have a set of factory refurbs from Harmon Audio on the way, should be here this week.  Looking forward to see how they sound out of my Lyr  ( I figured the Lyr would be the best amp I own to give them a chance to shine out of the box).

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #2,685 of 9,602
If anyone is curious, here's some very early impressions of the Q701 with 65th Anniversary pads.
Feel free to tell me i'm wrong or hearing things. I am giving impressions of pads after all...

Out of the plastic there was a tiny increase in mid-bass, but it was basically almost the same(!!). We're talking like a 3% difference (if I had to put it into a percentage). Low bass between the Q701 and 65th was mostly the same, but a barely audible improvement with 65th pads.

So for ME the Q701 with 65th pads needs the outer grill foam removed. It's easy to remove. Use a piece of tape (make it less sticky with your fingers if needed) and turn counter-clockwise. Don't use metal objects!

NOTE: The Q701 doesn't have a lot of clamp at all for me. It's very secure, but most people with bigger heads may possibly get more bass.

So...the Q701 with 65th pads and no outer grill foam is sounding pretty good! Doesn't really seem that much warmer though...yet.

Probably not worth the $73 unless the Q701 is your favorite headphone in the world and you want a little more bass without using an EQ.

Theres still some very low bass that's not audible at all on my Q701. So if you didn't hear it on the Q701 with stock pads, the 65th would change that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back