Q701 impressions thread
Feb 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #2,596 of 9,602
I liked mine out of my last-gen PowerBook G4! My newer MacBook Pro has a deceased battery right now, though, and I haven't tried it straight out from my tower yet because the headphone jack is in an awkward place to plug and unplug. I got used to just playing my Q701's through my E5 at first, sounded great, but you're going to be in for a treat once your Schiit arrives on your doorstep :wink:

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #2,597 of 9,602
Can't wait! I thought that I may have a terrible time using these headphones without the Schiit gear, but I'm glad that's not the case. The way these sound by themself makes the waiting a lot more bearable. 
beyersmile.png

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #2,598 of 9,602
Quote:
I now think I have found my headphone amp. Then again, I got the Yamaha receiver at home so I might try the phones out with it first. The amp (+DAC) I've set my eyes on is the Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D! Costs 187£. Any experiences on how this goes with the Qs?
The question now would be if I really need to get a specialized headphone amp and does it make that much difference over the receiver?

Bumb...
Edit: I have this receiver: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115389 YAMAHA RX-V371 3D 5.1-Channel AV Receiver or a VERY similar one, can't check this now.

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #2,599 of 9,602
I now think I have found my headphone amp. Then again, I got the Yamaha receiver at home so I might try the phones out with it first. The amp (+DAC) I've set my eyes on is the Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D! Costs 187£. Any experiences on how this goes with the Qs?
The question now would be if I really need to get a specialized headphone amp and does it make that much difference over the receiver?

That amp is the O2.
Some like it with Q701s and some folks don't.
I've never heard one.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #2,601 of 9,602
Does anyone have a review or insight on these cables from Oyaide? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oyaide-HPC-X62-2-5m-Cable-for-Mini-XLR-Headphone-1-4-TRS-mini-XLR-/300788077369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46085dd339

I don't have the materials to make a DIY cable, nor do I really want to learn or have the patience for it, so I'm looking for somewhere to order some (or if one of you fine gentleman could make something up real nice for me, send me a PM!)

Cheers!

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #2,602 of 9,602
Just got my Qs re cabled to dual entry balanced.  Playing them on a fully balanced B22.  Man the soundstage and the imaging and the detail is that of the HD800s.  This truly a good balanced headphone.   I feel like I'm getting the most out them now.  

Trying to contact AKG (Harmon) now to see if they sell the ring without the connector for the Qs.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2,605 of 9,602
Quote:
Just got my Qs re cabled to dual entry balanced.  Playing them on a fully balanced B22.  Man the soundstage and the imaging and the detail is that of the HD800s.  This truly a good balanced headphone.   I feel like I'm getting the most out them now.  

Trying to contact AKG (Harmon) now to see if they sell the ring without the connector for the Qs.

Wowza! looking good. I want
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,607 of 9,602
Quote:

I just read that Norse audio thread and know your big into his cables. I can't say i'm sold, as its quite an investment. I guess there is only one way to find out if it's worth the money to upgrade...

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2,609 of 9,602
Quote:

Thanks Lug,  That dag on connector sticks out like a sore thumb.  The 65th anvs are next..
biggrin.gif

There is a possibility that the 65th's balanced like this could equal or overtake the HD800's
eek.gif

go for it!

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2,610 of 9,602
Just now listening to HE-400 after Q701. HE-400 are "more fun," greater sense of drama, but sounds like listening to media rather than getting lost in it and immersed like "being there" in the musician's fantasy. A very good headphone, overall they are close for quality, but side by side I prefer the Q's despite new toy syndrome.

Very first impressions tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back