Q701 impressions thread
Feb 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #2,567 of 9,602
Congrats! 

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #2,568 of 9,602
Quote:
Want to know. Is there a way to use the E12 like a desktop amp. By that, I mean can you plug it up to a power source and let it stay plugged up without worrying about blowing the battery inside, or can you take the battery out to avoid that?

I'm pretty sure you can charge it without blowing anything up.  I think it always gets it's power from the three internal batteries though.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #2,570 of 9,602
So how big of a difference would the q701 have between using the direct laptop output into a magni when compared to going hrough the modi first? Sorry for the noobish question but I need a reason to justify spending $100 on a dac lol. Listening to the q701 through thte magni from my laptop honestly doesn't sound that bad but I don't really know what I'm missing now do I :wink:

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #2,571 of 9,602
Modi will support 24/96 sample rates and will also have a much lower noise floor than your on-board sound. Audio components tend to pick up noise from nearby electronics, which inside a laptop there is quite a bit. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #2,572 of 9,602
Quote:
So how big of a difference would the q701 have between using the direct laptop output into a magni when compared to going hrough the modi first? Sorry for the noobish question but I need a reason to justify spending $100 on a dac lol. Listening to the q701 through thte magni from my laptop honestly doesn't sound that bad but I don't really know what I'm missing now do I :wink:

I guess it depends on the laptop, but mine sounds like garbage compared to a external DAC.  The DAC is very clear and open, while the laptop sounds small cramped and stuffy (this is both being fed to external amp).

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #2,573 of 9,602
Please help me!

I'm looking to buy these (in lime... *drool*). They are currently at the top of my list of >300€ headphones. I just need to know what amp to get for these. I listen probably solely on comp/laptop so portability is not a necessity although a plus for a little portable amp. Basically I need an usb out dac/amp (or set) that is moderately priced. Definitely have to be under 200€, preferably 100€. I'm checking the FiiO E17 which sounds like awesome with bass and treble boosts. I'm just worried if this'll power the phones' adequately. Also the E12 tickles my fancy but I need a DAC to go with it. Any suggestions for this?

PS. Can I amp these for more bass and get away with it? As in that it doesn't muddle the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #2,574 of 9,602
Please help me!

I'm looking to buy these (in lime... *drool*). They are currently at the top of my list of >300€ headphones. I just need to know what amp to get for these. I listen probably solely on comp/laptop so portability is not a necessity although a plus for a little portable amp. Basically I need an usb out dac/amp (or set) that is moderately priced. Definitely have to be under 200€, preferably 100€. I'm checking the FiiO E17 which sounds like awesome with bass and treble boosts. I'm just worried if this'll power the phones' adequately. Also the E12 tickles my fancy but I need a DAC to go with it. Any suggestions for this?

PS. Can I amp these for more bass and get away with it? As in that it doesn't muddle the rest of the frequency spectrum.

I sometimes use mine with my little E17 and it works a treat.
You may need to go to 12gain in the amp tho, but the sound is good.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #2,575 of 9,602
Just thought I'd pipe in again.

I bought these headphones for critical listening, as a second reference for mastering complimenting my normal speaker/room environment.

I just had a new baby on saturday, and decided to do the majority of a recent project at home, then take it to the studio and check my work.

I was very pleased to discover that when I played the project back in the studio, not only did I have no surprises, but I really liked my work. This is not to say that the headphones are perfectly flat or anything like that, just that they didn't mask anything. If there was a problem, I heard it and corrected it. There were no problems that I did not hear. This is not my typical experience with headphones. Very encouraging! It helps that their sonic signature does come very close to my speaker/room setup though.

This kind of headphone probably polarizes people, since it does reveal problems. I've found in casual listening (doesn't really exist for me) that they really show recordings to be what they are, and I've only really enjoyed about half the albums I listened to on them. To me that's a good thing, but that's why I bought them. Not everyone buys headphones to find problems with recordings, but I do.

Money well spent. I might work from home more often now :D (though there's no substitute for the studio)

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #2,576 of 9,602
Quote:
I sometimes use mine with my little E17 and it works a treat.
You may need to go to 12gain in the amp tho, but the sound is good.

Thank you. Its nice to know it gives adequate power.

Does the E09K work as a DAC too? I'm under the impression it doesn't and needs something like the E17 to DAC it up. But if I get the E17 now is it worth to get the E09K later?

Still further suggestions for an amp (100€-<200€) wanted.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #2,577 of 9,602
I use the Schiit Magni and it pairs magnificently with the Q701. Modi is designed to be used with Magni and I've heard it is an excellent DAC, though I've never actually used one with the Q701.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2,578 of 9,602
Quote:
I use the Schiit Magni and it pairs magnificently with the Q701. Modi is designed to be used with Magni and I've heard it is an excellent DAC, though I've never actually used one with the Q701.

Just spotted the words Magni and Q701 and had to comment. I'm using it with the newer K701's and must say it drives them superbly. The AKG's have always been power hungry, more so than most phones, even orthos. The little schitt gives out a nice 1.2 watts into 32 ohms and the AKG's really respond to this and it gives them added authority in the bass and mids. Haven't heard the Modi, but from what I've read the Magni is the better componant. With this in mind, you could pair it with a half decent dac and you've got a brilliant mid-price set up. I've got it paired with the Rdac for my bedside rig and I'm really impressed. So much so, I'm going to bed very early these days!
I think its fantastic that you can get a sound as good as this for so little money.  

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2,579 of 9,602
Magni with the Q701? You guys are nuts. No way that tiny thing could power the Q701! Requires an amp that costs at least $300 and don't you forget it!

Only kidding..I do like the Magni and Q701, but I'm using the ODAC. I have to admit that it sounded AWFUL the first few hours. Give the Magni a week and it seems to smooth itself out. How? No clue, especially since it has no op-amps. Please don't give me brain lecture thing. I didn't say burn-in.

I'd have a hard time picking between the E9 and Magni for the Q701. E9 was a tad warmer and a little bit fuller sounding. Not colored, but maybe a tiny bit more than the Magni. They were both good. Despite what people say, the E9 has some good measurements, but seems to not be as revealing of what's attached to it as the Magni. I guess this means a lot. The Magni seems more transparent and revealing.

There is also a chance that the Modi adds a touch of warmth to the Magni's "sound".

The ODAC is PERFECT for the Q701. It doesn't magically make it "cold and analytical".

For my Q701 I still prefer the Headroom Micro, but for my DJ100 the Magni is what I've been loving lately.

BTW I don't think the Magni is bright, but I still might not prefer to use it with say a DT-990 or 325is or something similar. It's ruler flat, but doesn't have ANY warmth IMO.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #2,580 of 9,602
Quote:
Magni with the Q701? You guys are nuts. No way that tiny thing could power the Q701! Requires an amp that costs at least $300 and don't you forget it!

Only kidding..I do like the Magni and Q701, but I'm using the ODAC. I have to admit that it sounded AWFUL the first few hours. Give the Magni a week and it seems to smooth itself out. How? No clue, especially since it has no op-amps. Please don't give me brain lecture thing. I didn't say burn-in.

I'd have a hard time picking between the E9 and Magni for the Q701. E9 was a tad warmer and a little bit fuller sounding. Not colored, but maybe a tiny bit more than the Magni. They were both good. Despite what people say, the E9 has some good measurements, but seems to not be as revealing of what's attached to it as the Magni. I guess this means a lot. The Magni seems more transparent and revealing.

There is also a chance that the Modi adds a touch of warmth to the Magni's "sound".

The ODAC is PERFECT for the Q701. It doesn't magically make it "cold and analytical".

For my Q701 I still prefer the Headroom Micro, but for my DJ100 the Magni is what I've been loving lately.

BTW I don't think the Magni is bright, but I still might not prefer to use it with say a DT-990 or 325is or something similar. It's ruler flat, but doesn't have ANY warmth IMO.

Agreed. I think thats why I like it, having a transparent amp matched with such a transparent headphone is something special. Not for all occasions, but its nice to have. Especially if you want to splash out on a good dac for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back