Q701 impressions thread
Dec 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #2,191 of 9,602
Quote:
Guys, the  Q701 is arriving tomorrow so now I need to be serious about looking for a amp.

After reading so many threads I am confused by the conflicting opinions.  Theoretically Q701  ( Zin =62 ohm) should be driven by a low output impedance amp. So most likely a SS or  hybrid amp with SS output. It will also work well with tube amps that are Transformer coupled at the output ( expensive like the  Woo 6)

However some seem to indicate it will work well with some OTL  which is strange to me because most OTL have fairly high output impedance. For example Shiit Valhalla .  Another popular  example  is LD Mk3 but with gain setting at  X5 or X10.  Maybe this is because the gain setting in the LD Mk3 is actually adjusting the amount of feedback  so in  a sense also adjusts the amps output impedance?

My question is whether i'ts worth a shot at the LD MK3 ? or better go with a safer bet like LD I+ or used EF5 or some other hybrid amps .

Thanks 

EF5 is fine, good pace and slightwarm....LDmk3 is cooler, thinner sounding....LDMk4SE is a more powerful expansive sounding amp...the LYR is high energy, warmer than the rest. Of these amp, i would go for the mk4se. This is to my taste, and the sound i gotten from my mix of gears. :p

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #2,192 of 9,602
Quote:
I've heard receivers make very good hp amps and if your lucky you can get a nice vintage one for around 50$

I'm not really crazy about vintage receivers.
Obviously they have no warranty.
You're dealing with a 25-35 year old piece of gear......dirty switches, dirty pots, dirty jacks, etc.
They are huge units, a bit overkill just to drive an itty bitty headphone.
They have massive output impedance, typically 220 - 470 Ohms.

But some folks like them........
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #2,193 of 9,602
Quote:

I'm not really crazy about vintage receivers.
Obviously they have no warranty.
You're dealing with a 25-35 year old piece of gear......dirty switches, dirty pots, dirty jacks, etc.
They are huge units, a bit overkill just to drive an itty bitty headphone.
They have massive output impedance, typically 220 - 470 Ohms.

But some folks like them........
confused_face_2.gif

But they're dirt cheap sometimes! It's best to visit your local thrift store on a weekly basis to find a hidden gem. I haven't gotten lucky yet.

The best find i've made was a Technics receiver from 93 ($30). I wanted it for 2 bookshelf speakers in a spare room. It does the job and even drives my Q701 just fine. What's amusing is that the output impedance is 330 ohm and the Q701 doesn't change a bit. Wonder why? Yet the science guys on here cry about the 10ohm output of the E9 magically ruining the headphone. People are weird...

I'm also a huge fan of those JVC full sized CD players from the early 90's. They're so common it's not even funny. I don't know how a cd player manages to have such a good soundstage like that..

Too bad most full sized CD players these days no longer come with headphone jacks like they did before.

I think an old PS1 (SCPH-1001) with RCA jacks would be perfect for the Q701. It's a bit colored, but very musical and warm sounding. No fatiguing treble on bad tracks.

I also found an old Denon that was so bassy I had to get rid of it. Totally ruined my DJ100, but might sound good with the Q701.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #2,195 of 9,602
But they're dirt cheap sometimes! It's best to visit your local thrift store on a weekly basis to find a hidden gem. I haven't gotten lucky yet.

The best find i've made was a Technics receiver from 93 ($30). I wanted it for 2 bookshelf speakers in a spare room. It does the job and even drives my Q701 just fine. What's amusing is that the output impedance is 330 ohm and the Q701 doesn't change a bit. Wonder why? Yet the science guys on here cry about the 10ohm output of the E9 magically ruining the headphone. People are weird...

I'm also a huge fan of those JVC full sized CD players from the early 90's. They're so common it's not even funny. I don't know how a cd player manages to have such a good soundstage like that..

Too bad most full sized CD players these days no longer come with headphone jacks like they did before.

I think an old PS1 (SCPH-1001) with RCA jacks would be perfect for the Q701. It's a bit colored, but very musical and warm sounding. No fatiguing treble on bad tracks.

I also found an old Denon that was so bassy I had to get rid of it. Totally ruined my DJ100, but might sound good with the Q701.

Hmmmm.........maybe I should try selling my old JVC 1010 CD on Head Fi or AudioGon?

I guess the sound doesn't change with the high output impedance because the Q701 has a fairly flat impedance curve.
BTW, your not saying that an old vintage receiver sounds as good as a modern quality headphone amp?
I'm really not a fan of my Q701s with my La Figaro 336C headphone amp, but that is an OTL tube amp.

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #2,197 of 9,602
Quote:
Wich DAC should i use with the Q701 between:

- ODac
- Music Streamer II
- Audioengine D1

Thanks.

I don't know anything about the D1, but as for the other two:

Quote:
Between ODAC and HRT MS II, I won't say one is better than the other, but I slightly prefer the ODAC because ODAC gives the impression of more soundstage depth, while HRT MS II gives the impression of more soundstage width.  I think the x70x benefit more from the depth...

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #2,198 of 9,602
Quote:
Hmmmm.........maybe I should try selling my old JVC 1010 CD on Head Fi or AudioGon?
I guess the sound doesn't change with the high output impedance because the Q701 has a fairly flat impedance curve.
BTW, your not saying that an old vintage receiver sounds as good as a modern quality headphone amp?
I'm really not a fan of my Q701s with my La Figaro 336C headphone amp, but that is an OTL tube amp.

Yes, some of the old vintage receiver sounds better on both phones and speakers than modern amps. 

Also, my experience told me that tube amps usually are picky on phones. A pair of my sony CD900 sound ok on my solid state amps, but just so so on my tube amps. In fact, they cause loud hum on one of my tubes.  

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #2,199 of 9,602
Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-Q701-Quincy-Jones-Signature-Headphones-Green-q-701-/271090651772?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Is that covered under warranty? Most ebay sellers aren't actually authorised resellers right?

I bought black version from same ebay dealer a week ago.   You can get it a bit lower if you make an offer . They are actually Pitbull Audio .  Mine arrived in perfect condition with tape seal etc. Serial number  on headset matches carton . So I think you can feel confident buying from them.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #2,200 of 9,602
Quote:

EF5 is fine, good pace and slightwarm....LDmk3 is cooler, thinner sounding....LDMk4SE is a more powerful expansive sounding amp...the LYR is high energy, warmer than the rest. Of these amp, i would go for the mk4se. This is to my taste, and the sound i gotten from my mix of gears. :p

LD Mk3 is cooler than EF5 ? I would have thought the opposite since EF5 is hybrid and Mk3 is all tube  OTL.  I am still on the fence of SS  vs Tube for this headphone.  So many conflicting comments that the only way is to bite the bullet and try one.  I just want to be sure that I don't get one that is worse performing than the headphone output of my SB Touch or from my Onkyo Nr3007 receiver . BTW , both of those deviceshave pretty good DACs .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back