Q701 impressions thread
Nov 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #2,086 of 9,602
I dont listen from any laptop or desk computer so portability is not important for me.  All music files ( Flac ) are streamed from computer via ethernet to Squeezebox Touch or to the Onkyo Receiver via DLNA .  Alternate source is CD.  The internal DAC of the SB Touch is  quite good , so are the Burr Browns of the Onkyo .  After I get the heapdphone + amp settled, I might consider getting an external DAC , probably a ESS or Wolfson based , 

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #2,087 of 9,602
I have used desktop amps in the past. I had the $850 HeadRoom destop amp/DAC. I just dont see the huge price difference being worth it.
I wouldn't justify an amp that was a huge price difference either. I'm talking about stuff like the E9 which is dirt cheap and can still improve the sound over a portable.

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #2,088 of 9,602
Hello guys,

I've been eyeing the Q701 for quite some time now. Currently selling off some of my old cans, hopefully they will go through smoothly. After that I plan to add another medium-priced pair to my arsenal to play around with while saving up for my end-game one :beyersmile:

So straight to the point: I listen to a lot of game/anime soundtrack and J-Pop female vocal stuff, 50/50 between 320k/CD quality. Does the Q701 work well for those genres at all? I had the 598 in the past and they were very nice with those materials, if the Q701 is anywhere near as good it will be fine. If not, how about the K701/2? I really want to get one of those sexy AKG's to complement my new AKG desktop mic.

My amp/DAC are in my sign, and I plan to keep them for now :beyersmile: that's another problem too as I read a lot of todck's posts that say the Asgard and the AKG's are not a good match?

Thanks.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2,089 of 9,602
Quote:
Hello guys,
I've been eyeing the Q701 for quite some time now. Currently selling off some of my old cans, hopefully they will go through smoothly. After that I plan to add another medium-priced pair to my arsenal to play around with while saving up for my end-game one
beyersmile.png

So straight to the point: I listen to a lot of game/anime soundtrack and J-Pop female vocal stuff, 50/50 between 320k/CD quality. Does the Q701 work well for those genres at all? I had the 598 in the past and they were very nice with those materials, if the Q701 is anywhere near as good it will be fine. If not, how about the K701/2? I really want to get one of those sexy AKG's to complement my new AKG desktop mic.
My amp/DAC are in my sign, and I plan to keep them for now
beyersmile.png
that's another problem too as I read a lot of todck's posts that say the Asgard and the AKG's are not a good match?
Thanks.

I listen to game/anime soundtracks with it and love it.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #2,090 of 9,602
Thanks for your input. I just pulled the trigger seconds ago. The lime one is going for $227 on Amazon now, which is a terrific price. In other news the 598 has been dropping in price as well, maybe Senn is tired of keeping watch of its dealers already? :D

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #2,091 of 9,602
Quote:
Thanks for your input. I just pulled the trigger seconds ago. The lime one is going for $227 on Amazon now, which is a terrific price. In other news the 598 has been dropping in price as well, maybe Senn is tired of keeping watch of its dealers already?
biggrin.gif

I guess Senn is tired of headphones piling up at the factory.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #2,093 of 9,602
Quote:
Maybe the world will actually end when the HD800 drops in price on Amazon...

You should have picked them up when they were 75% off on Black Friday.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #2,094 of 9,602
You should have picked them up when they were 75% off on Black Friday.

Didn't know there was such a deal. Too good to be true if anything. It's not like I can afford them even if they were 75% off anyway.

And sadly the sound doesn't work for me, tried them before at a hi-fi shop, very thin sounding, no mid-bass and screeching vocals. Maybe they would sound better with some other amps/DACs but I don't want to deal with that synergy matching headache.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #2,095 of 9,602
Quote:
Didn't know there was such a deal. Too good to be true if anything. It's not like I can afford them even if they were 75% off anyway.

They weren't.  Sennheiser would rather burn their factory down to the ground before they let any of the products sell for 75% off MSRP.

regular_smile .gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #2,096 of 9,602
I had an adrenaline rush for half a second there and then realised it was impossible, which it luckily was :)
Damn you!

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #2,099 of 9,602
Quote:

Exactly as effective as you want it to be.

That is a very philosophical answer, but I am still clueless. Do you imply that upgrading the cable is not an effective way to improve the sound of these phone? If so, I am glad to know that.

Have any of you tried to upgrade/change the cable to get a better sound? If so, how obvious was it? 

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #2,100 of 9,602
Quote:
That is a very philosophical answer, but I am still clueless. Do you imply that upgrading the cable is not an effective way to improve the sound of these phone? If so, I am glad to know that.

Have any of you tried to upgrade/change the cable to get a better sound? If so, how obvious was it? 

Yes, it is like a different headphone after the change, BUT there are many ways to do this. Some may yield little change and apparently some may degrade the sound. Mine are re cabled for dual entry, the cable are soldered directly to the driver terminals (the headband cable is no longer used, the mini XLR no longer used and multiple solders and cables inside the cans are no longer used). Simply plugging a new cable in place of the original one into the mini XLR may not bring about much change.

See post 2051 in this thread and some subsequent ones

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/2040

Users who are viewing this thread

Back