Q701 impressions thread
Oct 17, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #1,861 of 9,602
Quote:
I've never tried sticking other things in the grill.  Like you said earlier, I did try swapping the K702 and Q701 grills.  The difference was very very minor, and certainly didn't account for the bass and warmth difference between them.

Same here.

I did swap the stock foam out with Viva paper towel (one single square). Now don't ask me HOW on earth it's possible, but it seems to sound better than stock. This is after listening to it for 4 hours now!
It seems much clearer than stock and smoother sounding with harsh/fatiguing recordings. I swear it's imaging is better, but that's nearly impossible you'd think. Maybe it just reduces the soundstage and has fooled my brain somehow? It seems about the same size. Not any warmer at all than stock foam.
I can't even figure out if the Viva or stock foam allows more air in. The Viva doesn't completely close off the grill. There's still a few corners exposed.
Basically same as stock, but a bit clearer it seems. Crystal clear now. Maybe some other minor differences. Right now it's almost sounding like a super clear HD-598 with more detail and more forward upper mids.
confused_face_2.gif

The Q701 has far better bass though. Probably more mid-bass as well.

I'm not going to over-analyze the differences with paper towel for hours, but i'll leave it as it is since it's sounding so good. Maybe do a quick check of stock foam when I have more time.

With my setup right now, I hate to admit it, but the K601 seems a bit worse. The K601 seems a bit more flat, but not as fun to listen to. Then of course it does have some random peak that only seems to show up with garbage tracks.
K601 does seem warmer, but I don't know how I ever thought it had more bass than the Q701. Ugh..it almost seems dark compared to the Q701. Perhaps a bit more treble than my HD-600.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #1,862 of 9,602
Quote:
I did swap the stock foam out with Viva paper towel (one single square). Now don't ask me HOW on earth it's possible, but it seems to sound better than stock. This is after listening to it for 4 hours now!
It seems much clearer than stock and smoother sounding with harsh/fatiguing recordings.

Oh, so you use Viva paper towels?  I prefer Bounty paper towels with the Q701, or occasionally when I'm in the mood for extra warmth a ShamWow.

tongue_smile.gif

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #1,863 of 9,602
Quote:

Oh, so you use Viva paper towels?  I prefer Bounty paper towels with the Q701, or occasionally when I'm in the mood for extra warmth a ShamWow.

tongue_smile.gif

Only because it's flat and doesn't have patterns and different colors all over it. I was worried it would cause the L and R channels to be out of balance
biggrin.gif

Strangely enough I use Bounty brand on my KRK KNS-8400 to replace it's felt dampening material. It really helps!

It's pretty sad when you're in a store looking at paper towel and quickly wonder what brand would be best for your...headphones.
confused_face.gif

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #1,865 of 9,602
Just some observations with the Q701 and Fiio amps:

1. Q701 + E17 (DAC/AMP) - I can boost bass all the way to +10 without introducing distortion on tracks with strong bass or low notes
  2. Q701 + E17 + E09K - Slight distortion can be detected with +6 bass boost on same tracks.

Is this because of the increased power of the E09K amp?

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,866 of 9,602
Just some observations with the Q701 and Fiio amps:

• Q701 + E17 (DAC/AMP) - I can boost bass all the way to +10 without introducing distortion on tracks with strong bass or low notes
  • Q701 + E17 + E09K - Slight distortion can be detected with +6 bass boost on same tracks.

Is this because of the increased power of the E09K amp?

I'm guessing you are clipping the E9s inputs when you boost the signal. You're feeding it a stronger (than line-level) signal, especially on the low frequencies - which clips the E9 at its inputs.

Does it happen both on and off the dock?

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #1,867 of 9,602
Quote:
I'm guessing you are clipping the E9s inputs when you boost the signal. You're feeding it a stronger (than line-level) signal, especially on the low frequencies - which clips the E9 at its inputs.
Does it happen both on and off the dock?

I believe you're correct.

Before:  Laptop (Volume Max) -> USB E17 docked (Volume 60, Bass boost) -> E09K knob (observe clipping/distortion)
After:  Laptop (Volume Max) -> USB E17 docked (Volume 45, Bass boost) -> E09K knob (seems ok!)

When I use the E17 by itself connected via USB, I never have the volume at max so this makes sense.

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #1,868 of 9,602
If anyone has the Q701 and some Viva, can you test this out? It's super easy. Don't use any tools to remove the grill.
If you do it, try listening to them for a couple hours before switching (unless it's horrible sounding to you).
Viva is thicker than regular paper towel, so any random paper towel might give different results.

I was listening to these modded until 4:30am last night and didn't want to sleep. Today I might not be able to get any work done.
It seems like the mids are slightly fuller sounding. Signature is much smoother overall. Seems a tad more "musical". I'm really, really impressed!
Despite the mids being fuller sounding, it's actually sounding clearer than stock. The Q701's stock mids are nice and full as it is (never thin!), but this is even better.
Of course it doesn't magically turn it into an HD-650 or some sort of bass monster.

I have no idea what would cause the difference. My guess is that the Viva closes off the grill a little more than the stock foam.
Not by much though. I think I would hate the sound with anything too thick.

If you listen to any really bothersome tracks that are kind of harsh and fatiguing, they're made a tiny bit more listenable.

BTW these impressions were all with my Micro Amp from ODAC. I'm positive the Micro Amp is close to being very neutral. The ODAC sounds as flat as my Clip+, but more like a Clip+ on steroids and less warm.

I still find it amusing how the same mods don't work with the K601!

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #1,869 of 9,602
Quote:
If anyone has the Q701 and some Viva, can you test this out? It's super easy. Don't use any tools to remove the grill.
If you do it, try listening to them for a couple hours before switching (unless it's horrible sounding to you).
Viva is thicker than regular paper towel, so any random paper towel might give different results.

Don't have any Viva and lately settled on the stock configuration/sound which is satisfying. I don't have a lot of tracks that exhibit excessive sibilance -  but as a reference can, it does provide accurate feedback on which recordings potentially have the emphasized 'sssssizzle'. Otherwise, it's very transparent with good extension - and definitely does handle EQ nicely. However, I did pick up a circle cutter in case I want to experience with different foams/materials as I come across them. Arts and crafts stores have all kinds of tools for this purpose (squares, ovals, etc). Michaels and A.C. Moore carry them, too.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #1,871 of 9,602
I got this headphone with me but I feel like this headphone is superior for any music genres other than rock music. I am currently listening to JRock music, do you guys have any recommendation for good headphones for rock music?

Or maybe I should burn this headphones more so that it can beat all kinds of music genres?

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #1,872 of 9,602
Quote:
I got this headphone with me but I feel like this headphone is superior for any music genres other than rock music. I am currently listening to JRock music, do you guys have any recommendation for good headphones for rock music?

Or maybe I should burn this headphones more so that it can beat all kinds of music genres?

Can you post an example?

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #1,874 of 9,602
Hated the K702's, they crushed my (large) head and the sound didn't seem worth the price tag at the time of purchase. I liked the huge sound, though.
So I really wanted to try the Q701's. 226USD at amazon? YES PLEASE. Nice surprise to have them delivered today (expected was Wednesday).
I'm in love! These sound so real it's insane. With piano music it feels like I'm right there in front of the instrument. Vocals sound more intimate than with my HD650.
I'll have to find something to counter those annoying bumps though, not my cup of tea. Will try to tame the highs a little, too. They can sound a little too crushingly real.

The Q701's sound awesome with pretty much all of my music, but if there's one genre where they REALLY shine, it's classical. Listening to electronic on these sounds pretty darn fatiguing, though. Right now listening to Bon Iver live at Air studios, and I'm hearing resonances I never ever heard before.

These Q's might not have the highest impedance, but they are the first headphones I have to call HARD to drive, they really need power (in my opinion even more so than Beyer 600 ohms). With my amp the bass becomes more enjoyable and the treble/highs are tamed just a little, making them just a little less fatiguing and more suited for general listening/movies, but I still prefer the 650's for that.

Overall, my HD650's are better all-rounders. PRaT on both is awesome, though. The Q701's thankfully don't sound half as analytical as its brothers, but they still are quite fatiguing. What they do feature is more detailed and immersive/engaging sound (dat sound stage). All I can think of to tromp it in sound stage is the AD700 (although with LOTS of air between elements, but also much cheaper), and electrostats or $1K+ 'phones. I imagine the HD800 also features much more intimate vocals.

These, together with 650's for laid-back listening, a Hiface, a V-DAC (with Pangea PSU) and a (second hand) Burson amp; with some quality interconnects.
I feel like I hit the end-game, for me at least. I don't even want to know how much better it can get. My wallet hurt enough, and this is sounding more than excellent.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #1,875 of 9,602
Okay a couple of days ago I went to Jaben Melbourne and then I asked for a couple of amp that may fit my budget. First of all the guy gave me govibe martin.. I listen for a while, try some jazz, classic, opera, pop, and it turns out not what I expected and then he gave me graham bells voyager and it totally kick the Q701 to another level... but the price was 350$AUD (or is it too pricy ?) and I am amazed cause as far as I know there are other choices around that price range. I was wondering if you guys could recommend some amplifier that fits well with Q701, I want to make it warmer.

Also on earlier post I am having trouble with equalizing, can anyone give me some tips on equalizing Q701 ? I've tried to equalize it and reduce the hissing.. but I feel like I lose some of the highs and details...

Thanks and enjoy Q701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back