Q701 impressions thread
Sep 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #1,696 of 9,602
Quote:
tdockweiler: My jaw dropped when I calculated the power requirements for the AKG K240 Sextett. It's worse than the HE-500, K400/501 and LCD2/3 apparently. Doesn't seem like it.

My k240DF is by far the most power hungry. It's my only headphone that needs high gain on the O2. I guess that's to be expected since it's 600ohms like the sextett. They do sound great with that amp, though they border on being too sibilant on occasion.

Lay some calculations on us, man.
We can take it.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Signed,
Curious.

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,697 of 9,602
Quote:

Lay some calculations on us, man.
We can take it.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Signed,
Curious.

Calculations for what? That they require high gain? Are you being serious, or is that an attempt at humor? 
<edit> I should have used quotation marks. I think you're replying to tdockweiler's statement that I quoted in my post..

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #1,698 of 9,602
Hi , i'v been using q701 for two weeks now, and i notice that the right driver is giving lauder preformence then the left side,
Did anyone expirienced this?
Im using the nuforce icon hdp , and, with or without the amp its noticeable.
Sould i send them to the lab?

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,699 of 9,602
Quote:
Calculations for what? That they require high gain? Are you being serious, or is that an attempt at humor? 
<edit> I should have used quotation marks. I think you're replying to tdockweiler's statement that I quoted in my post..

YOU said you calculated the power requirements for the AKG K240 Sextett?

Or you don't know how the quote button works and you are quoting Dock?

OK Dock, where are the power calculations?

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #1,700 of 9,602
Quote:

Yeah, it was tdock. I didn't want to include the whole long quote. I was in a rush... dumb not to add some " "'s

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #1,702 of 9,602
Quote:

I'm at work right now, but I used this file here to calculate them based on AKG's PDF for the Sextett.

http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html

Click on that excel file and when you view it, you can have it automatically calculate anything.

I've also found that the K400/K501 require the same amount of power.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #1,703 of 9,602
Is there any difference between these http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-Q701-Quincy-Jones-Series-Headphones-Q-701-Black-PROAUDIOSTAR-/110943807168?forcev4exp=true and these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-from-AKG-Dealer-Q701BLK-Quincy-Jones-High-Performance-Headphones-Q701-Black-/140698172192?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item20c243bb20 ?? Why such a difference in price?

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,704 of 9,602
Quote:
Is there any difference between these http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-Q701-Quincy-Jones-Series-Headphones-Q-701-Black-PROAUDIOSTAR-/110943807168?forcev4exp=true and these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-from-AKG-Dealer-Q701BLK-Quincy-Jones-High-Performance-Headphones-Q701-Black-/140698172192?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item20c243bb20 ?? Why such a difference in price?

Looks to be the same AKG Q 701 to me.  One is pricing off of MSRP (which is something like $479 or so) and the other is at the more common street price of around $240.  For example, Amazon has the black for $239.99 today.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #1,705 of 9,602
Quote:
Sure doesn't look "virtually identical" to me. I think that's the wrong wording. To me it's "somewhat similar".
To me, it's about a 10% improvement of the K702 to my ears. Fixed 3 issues I've had. Biggest was it's goofy/inaccurate soundstage.

Quote:
A Cardan is a type of mechanical coupling.  I really don't know what it does. Try doing what I did, looking it up on Google.
wink_face.gif

But since you cannot see it, it is NOT a cosmetic change.
Just about any mechanical change you make to the acoustic chamber will change the sound of the headphone.
Edit:
Who knows, maybe the Cardan piece tames the acoustic peak at 3-4 kHz.  Your hearing would be very sensitive to any change at 3-4 kHz.
The little boost in bass would account for the additional warmth in the Q701.

Earlier tdockweiler and Chris J (and a few others) were arguing with me about about whether the Q701 sounds different than the K702, despite the fact that I posted measurements showing that they have identical voicings (sorry tdockweiler, a 0.1% difference between frequency responses is not statistically relevant)

Well, here is what AKG said on their Facebook page when asked specifically about the differences between the Q701 and the K702:

"Good questions/comments everyone. To answer your questions on the what's unique about the new Quincy Signature Line, we'd like to let you know that Quincy Jones himself worked with us to design a headphone that made aesthetic changes to reflect more of his personal touch. The models come in black, white (with lime green accents) and a proprietary lime green color only available within the Signature Line. Also, the 330s and the 460s will feature an inline microphone that will work with mobile devices such as the iPhone and Blackberry and a remote control (only compatible with iPhones) to play, pause and skip through music so that people can still have a quality sound experience for lifestyles that are increasingly more mobile and on the go."

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.425309636620.209091.96269711620

I wonder how many people actually believed the OP's claims that the Q701's have a "10% improvement" over the K702s, when the measurements are identical, and AKG themselves claim nothing more than cosmetic changes?

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,706 of 9,602
 I am not familar with the q701s but I have had my k701s for over three years.While I like a lot of others have had troubles finding a suitable amplifier and set up(power cords,fuses,etc.)to get the best out of them. I have found the 701s to be largely faithfull to the sound of the original performance imho. I have not owned as many phones as a lot of the head-fi crowd but of the three phones I do own one of them is the audeze lcd2 v2s, the akg 701 can hold its own when standing a comparison to any of my three phones. At present my preferred headphone amp is my burson ha-160.I have massaged the amp some with the hi-fi tuning supreme fuse and a nordost brahma power cord I purchased at a sizeable discount from music direct on a closeout.The nordost has made a profound difference in amplifier performance.Of course most people would not even consider using a power cord this expensive on an amp I only paid seven hundred dollars for when I bought it. But after a prolonged break in and boy was it long the nordost cable is finally strutting its stuff on the bryston amp.I have found quite surprisingly that the akgs are more accurately reproducing the original recording than my highly touted lcd2 v2s.They seem to be superior in capturing the sound of the venue(studio,concert hall,etc.) on well recorded material they sound consistently  more realistic than the lcd2..I get more of the in the head experience with the audezes.The akgs still do not sound like speakers but they come closer in that respect than the lcd2s with less of that in the head sound you get with a lot of head phones. 
 After reading a lot of the posts regarding the sound of earlier akg 701s I have to add that the 701s took a long time to flesh in much longer than most.My phones have probably over a thousand hours on them by now.I had read at that time that they required at least three hundred hours of play time before they were considered broken in.I have experienced a lot of the problems others have had with the 701s.The akgs are very demanding as many have said of the amplifier driving it.I have found them somewhat tougher to drive than my audezes.The burson has proved its worth driving these phones over the two years I have owned it and drove it more effectively than my ray samuels raptor otl amp.
  I have kind of rediscovered my 701s with the latest power cord upgrade I made in my system.I actually prefer  listening to the 701s at this point than my lcd2 v2s these days.
With my present amp setup the akg 701s have very neutral sound with excellent clarity,very good dynamics and very statsifying bass that has excellent speed and definition.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #1,707 of 9,602
Quote:

Earlier tdockweiler and Chris J (and a few others) were arguing with me about about whether the Q701 sounds different than the K702, despite the fact that I posted measurements showing that they have identical voicings (sorry tdockweiler, a 0.1% difference between frequency responses is not statistically relevant)

Well, here is what AKG said on their Facebook page when asked specifically about the differences between the Q701 and the K702:

"Good questions/comments everyone. To answer your questions on the what's unique about the new Quincy Signature Line, we'd like to let you know that Quincy Jones himself worked with us to design a headphone that made aesthetic changes to reflect more of his personal touch. The models come in black, white (with lime green accents) and a proprietary lime green color only available within the Signature Line. Also, the 330s and the 460s will feature an inline microphone that will work with mobile devices such as the iPhone and Blackberry and a remote control (only compatible with iPhones) to play, pause and skip through music so that people can still have a quality sound experience for lifestyles that are increasingly more mobile and on the go."

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.425309636620.209091.96269711620

I wonder how many people actually believed the OP's claims that the Q701's have a "10% improvement" over the K702s, when the measurements are identical, and AKG themselves claim nothing more than cosmetic changes?

Did you just suddenly feel like coming in here to do some more pointless trolling? What you've posted doesn't tell us anything. No proof of anything. Nothing. Do you actually believe AKG would honestly say there was a difference in sound? No they wouldn't.
Maybe also you can ask Sennheiser if there is a difference between HD-600 versions. The regular screened version and the silver screened version. They wouldn't tell you anything either. Even those graphs are the same.
If any improvements were silently made to a headphone, ZERO companies out there would reveal this. Not even Beyerdynamic. Just ask them to explain the differences in versions of the DT-770 660 ohm. There are bass light and bass heavy versions.

Look at the history of AKG's headphones. There's the K240 Sextett with up to 3 different sounding versions. Then there's the different K501 and K400 versions. Any more variations in models? I'm sure there's others.

There is now at least half a dozen or more people now who've heard both the Q701 and K702 and found them quite different. I guess we're all deaf. If you don't have any actual proof to contribute, then quit thread crapping.

Basically you're just repeating stuff that's already been beaten to death many times before. Doesn't help anyone.

If you were actually want to contribute something for once you could instead ask them if they made recent improvements to their Q701, K702 and K701 drivers. Again, they would just ignore you.
Maybe some of the newer K702s sound closer to the Q701. Highly unlikely due to the foam behind the grill and button. My K702 was purchased around the middle of 2011.

What someone really should do is buy several K702s and Q701 and see if any of them sound the same. Highly unlikely.

I do remember there was another person on here who also took graphs for both, but also said they sounded much different. I guess he's hearing things too huh?

NOTE: Someone tested this previously and found zero difference, but why would you expect the Q701 and K702 to be 100% identical even with the button and extra foam?
That alone could alter the sound slightly. Although it's not as big of a difference (the button+foam alone) I imagine as the HD-580 vs HD-600.

I bet you also think the HD-580 and HD-600 are 100% identical in sound too right? If you think this is true, maybe you should just stop comparing headphones for us..
The 10% improvement is accurate (for me). For me they've fixed the abnormal/inaccurate soundstage, made the mids fuller and smoothed out the upper mids and treble a tad. The Q701 still has a decent amount of treble for sure.
This Q701 I have is nearly as warm and full sounding as my HD-580. That's with any setup, even the ODAC. Maybe that's how you heard your K702
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #1,708 of 9,602
Quote:

Did you just suddenly feel like coming in here to do some more pointless trolling? What you've posted doesn't tell us anything. No proof of anything. Nothing. Do you actually believe AKG would honestly say there was a difference in sound? No they wouldn't. ..... <snip> .....

Wow Tdock - why the vitriol?  He's supplied as much proof - if not more than what you have posted.

• The manufacturer says there are no differences
  • Tyll (objective measurements) says that there are very little if any differences Quote:
    I've seen some questions and comments about the Q701 being voiced differently than the K 701, I've done some comparison measurements here and they look virtually identical to me.

Quote:
    After seeing the measurement data I would say that other than the cosmetic differences, both headphones are identical. The slight differences observed could possibly be accounted for by the added "Q" badge on the outside of the earcup behind the driver, and improved manufacturing processes over time.

I know this was beaten to death previously.  Many say that there are differences.  Many also say that there are none.  I have no dog in this fight - as I haven't heard the Q701 - but reading of manufacturing variations in the same model, differences of pads etc - all of these could account for some differences.  But to berate someone for stating their opinion .... that's low in my book.  We treat yours with respect - even when sometimes we don't agree.  How about extending the same courtesy?

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #1,709 of 9,602
definitely a difference...my darling Hayley Westenra whispered to me.
biggrin.gif

image.tiff

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #1,710 of 9,602
Quote:

Wow Tdock - why the vitriol?  He's supplied as much proof - if not more than what you have posted.

• The manufacturer says there are no differences
  • Tyll (objective measurements) says that there are very little if any differences  

I know this was beaten to death previously.  Many say that there are differences.  Many also say that there are none.  I have no dog in this fight - as I haven't heard the Q701 - but reading of manufacturing variations in the same model, differences of pads etc - all of these could account for some differences.  But to berate someone for stating their opinion .... that's low in my book.  We treat yours with respect - even when sometimes we don't agree.  How about extending the same courtesy?

Here's the thing.. i'm not here to provide proof of anything. Never have and I don't care. Why do people keep telling me this?  The last guy claimed I should be doing an A/B blind test before posting my impressions. Give me a break. All along i've just posted listening impressions. People can do their own research and hear them with their own hears. If they don't hear a difference, then so be it. If you didn't, don't be a jerk and claim we're all hearing things. Someone seems to come in here each month and do this. It gets really annoying. Nobody here is forcing anyone to go out and buy a Q701.

I'd much rather listen to impressions from someone who's had both for years. I have. I've owned the K701/K702 more than any other headphone. I had the K701 for 3 years and owned the K702 at least 2 times. The Q701 is quite different for me. I know it's controversial to say this, but the Q701 is so different to my ears that the old K701 haters might actually like this version.

Also..i'm tired of people always pointing out Tyll. Who cares already. That's one set of ears. Sorry if that came across as rude. I like his reviews and opinions, but still...measurements don't tell us everything.

It's really not rocket science as to why the Q701 might sound so different...it would be a lot easier if I could dismantle both of them and compare the insides. Nobody has really done this.

NOTE: Eisenhower has probably never heard either of them. Why is he here again? Telling us what was already said a month after the Q701's release. Years from now we'll finally figure some things out. I keep hoping someone will compare half a dozen K702s and Q701s. Not likely that will happen.

All along i've said it's possible AKG could have updated their drivers. Highly unlikely since I had a recent K702 and so did others.

I also did not berate someone for their opinion. That's not really an opinion. If he actually had both, then i'm willing to listen to him.
Somehow you seem to be suggesting that someone posting graphs on how a headphone should sound is better than actual listening impressions from those who've heard both. Wow, weird.

EDIT: I'm not going to do any more thread crapping here. People should ignore the comments from people who haven't heard both (or just the K702) if you're thinking of buying them. It makes more sense to buy the Q701 these days if it's cheaper. They usually are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back