Q701 impressions thread
Jul 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #1,531 of 9,602
I just realized today I had the K601 foam inside my Q701. Not a huge change, but when I put back in the correct foam (was only in there a month) the treble was a bit easier on the ears.
Basically about 95% the same. I noticed when I used an assault rifle in Fallout 3 with the K601 foam it's a bit ear piercing. With the Q701 foam..not so much. The K601 foam felt as if the sound was slightly clearer, but maybe not.

The Q701 foam behind the pads is sort of sparkly and scratchy. The K601/K701 foam is smoother, soft and has smaller holes in it. You'd think the Q701 foam would actually make them have MORE treble due to being more open..or so it seems.

I also tried some K501 pads on my Q701. Surprised that the bass didn't really decrease that much. The sound was very well balanced and I didn't have any foam installed.

I don't know why, but this time around the K601 pads on my Q701 were not at all fatiguing. I'd say the mids are a tiny bit more forward and the soundstage is maybe a tad smaller perhaps.

Believe it or not, I actually think there is LESS treble with the K601 pads and this makes sense. I will leave them on for a week and see how well I like it. They're softer and a little more comfortable, but not angled.

Everything sounds a little more up-front and like my HD-580 somewhat. Not as full sounding obviously. I imagine K601 pads are too expensive to be worth getting as a possible comfort upgrade.

It does seem to improve imaging when using the K601 pads. Not sure how this is possible.

If you have the Q701 you should check to see what foam you have if you're curious:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/564427/k701-vs-k702-vs-q701-which-one-considering-recabling-among-other-things/15#post_7755190

The Q701 foam is on the left. You'll see that it has some sparkly areas on it and is scratchy. Obviously don't do this if you don't know how to install the pads. They twist on and off using the tabs. The thicker side is facing towards you.

BTW even with the K601 foam, my Q701 is still much easier on the ears than my old K701.

Could be they're really all the same and randomly look different, but they DO have different part numbers.

off-topic:

Tonight I also tried the K601 with Q701 pads..makes it very fatiguing. I guess more air between your ears and the driver and the more treble you get. That's how it is on my DJ100, but that's a closed headphone.
That's another reason the K601 might have given me the impression of less treble on the Q701 with K601 pads. Maybe not.

UPDATE: K601 pads for gaming is ok, but for music the K601 pads on the Q701 make the mids much too fatiguing.

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #1,532 of 9,602
I put the Q701 pads on the K400 pads when I had it, and it really helped the bass.  Still lighter bass than Q701 with its own pads, but better than K400 with stock pads. 

Kudos to AKG for making their pads easily swappable.
beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #1,533 of 9,602
I currently have the Q701's and a M-Stage USB, as well as the Audioengine D1, I find the M-Stage DAC good enough to not bother using the Audioengine D1.

What gain are people using on the M-Stage? (0, 10, 18, 20 dB)

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #1,534 of 9,602
Quote:

I think 10 dB is a good choice with the x70x, and it's the one I see most people using

Just make sure you don't have it reversed.  (The label is a little confusing !! 
redface.gif
)

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #1,535 of 9,602
Quote:
I currently have the Q701's and a M-Stage USB, as well as the Audioengine D1, I find the M-Stage DAC good enough to not bother using the Audioengine D1.

Thats the setup I got!!! LOL I like the D1 through optical, there is a significant difference. Not huge but its there.

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #1,536 of 9,602
I've been using my old Kenwood full size CD player a DP-750 its from the 80's and cost a bundle new...... nice sound from it tho. I also am using a total Bithead amp I bought from Pangea on the classifieds and I like that also. It will clip at full volume but thats at volumes that would make my ears bleed. I listen to it a about 40% and its really sounds nice. I have no problems with the bass level at all but I don't listen to bass heavy music.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #1,537 of 9,602
I might have to travel with my Q701 in the near future. How do you transport these headphones? I would not like to just throw them in a backpack, that would be asking for troubles. The design of these really isn't travel friendly... not collapsible, huge cups, fragile pivots and all sort of places for other things to get stuck into.

I'm thinking maybe wrapping them in a towel and using it to fill the inside, to give it some strength. I'm open for better ideas.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #1,538 of 9,602
Quote:
I might have to travel with my Q701 in the near future. How do you transport these headphones? I would not like to just throw them in a backpack, that would be asking for troubles. The design of these really isn't travel friendly... not collapsible, huge cups, fragile pivots and all sort of places for other things to get stuck into.
I'm thinking maybe wrapping them in a towel and using it to fill the inside, to give it some strength. I'm open for better ideas.

I have a HippoCase they fit in...

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #1,539 of 9,602
Quote:

I think 10 dB is a good choice with the x70x, and it's the one I see most people using

Just make sure you don't have it reversed.  (The label is a little confusing !! 
redface.gif
)

10 dB is what I use!
The label is very confusing, ain't it!

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,540 of 9,602
Just received my pair: 11001

Boy, these are gorgeous! I don't have the proper amp yet, they sound borderline anemic being driven by a udac2. Listened to two entire albums, I can see where people say that the bumps hurt... I have no doubt that they'll soften up. Too bad I won't have time for them until next week... Might consider calling off from work to enjoy them!

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #1,542 of 9,602
Quote:

There's not much between HD650's and Q701's either in terms of sub bass. I'd even say the Q701's have better extension, although bass on HD650's is a bit more present overall, especially in terms of mid bass punch.

I'm having trouble getting the Q701 to reveal the sub bass like other headphones. I'm using the E17 amp and with the bass up all the way, it doesn't sound close to the Denon D2000 with moderate EQing. I've also tweaked the laptop EQ and optimized the Dolby Home theatre software to achieve the subs, but it quote not there. I believe there is potential which is why I'm asking what you all can recommend. We'd probably use these primarily for movies - some people have recommended these because of the openness - which we enjoy for many reasons... but if we can simulate those subs... we'd be in heaven.

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #1,543 of 9,602
i am listening to EMOTION by Destiny's child now....on the Q701 powered by the LYR..gorgeous warm voice...beautiful..beautiful.
gs1000.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #1,544 of 9,602
I am not sure about the FiiO E17's output capabilities. It may not have the juice to properly drive your AKGs (perhaps others know?).  I have the K702s which are essentially the same as the Q701s and I played a test signal:

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

Why don't you try it and see?

I cannot hear 10 Hz, I hear 20 Hz but it is there, but is attenuated. 30 Hz and above is quite clear.  These impressions are consistent with the frequency response observations of the K702s where they are -8 dB at 10 Hz (which is below human hearing range or infrasonic) and are at -5 dB at 20 Hz which is the threshold of human hearing.  By the time you reach 30 Hz, they stay within +/- 2dB of flat to 100 Hz.   Now the Denon's which you prefer are also at -8 dB at 10 Hz and are at flat at 20 Hz and are boosted +3 dB from 30 to 60 Hz and slope to + 2 dB between 70-100 Hz.  So they will always have a more pronounced bass than the AKGs.

The AKGs are +/- 3 dB between 30-100 Hz which covers my bass listening needs.  The Denons that you prefer are +2-3 dB across the same range. I think the attenuation at 20 Hz on the AKGs of -5 dB vs. the flat output from the Denons is what you may be noticing as well, but there is not a lot of music down below 30 Hz in my experience. Now there are some pipe organs that can produce a 20 Hz tone, a piano can produce 27.5 Hz and a 5 string bass is at 30 Hz. I find the AKGs have ample bass performance to reproduce almost any musical passage.

I prefer their response between 100-10,000 Hz.  The Denons attenuate between 1000-10,000 Hz.  Some folks may prefer this as well.  Perhaps you do.  There is no right or wrong here, just euphonic preference.

My $.02

Bob

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #1,545 of 9,602
hey im getting these for mainly portable listening and gaming, i was wondering was portable amp to get, im looking at the fiio e17 alpen at the moment or maybe a cheaper e7, also i was wondering if these were good for dubstep, i usually use my crappy $30 htf600's to listen to it because cheap headphones are usually the only ones that can produced the muddy impactful bass good for dubstep.... so plz respond thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back