Q701 impressions thread
Jun 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #1,261 of 9,602
The Q701 shouldn't be tiring in the highs at all, unless you're used to some veiled sounding headphones. And the mids should be a STRENGTH of the Q701, not just ok. Honestly sounds like your soundcard isn't doing the Q701 any good.

And while I love my NFB5, it does irk me a lot that it doesn't have analog inputs. I somehow MISSED that until after shelling out almost $450 for (shipping was a bitch). It does hurt a bit not having the analog input, if only because I can't test it with the Mixamp. Other than that, the 3 digital inputs are all I need.

I think if you want the pure audio-GD amp with an analog input, you have to look into the C-2 variants. I wanted an amp/dac, which is why I got the NFB5.

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #1,263 of 9,602
Quote:
Maybe it is my soundcard, i know i cant get alot of volume, it dont seem to want to drive these cans. What would be a good amp to use  ?

This is because you're not using a strong amp (or an amp at all) it's also why they sound bad to you, I had the same issue; the headphones sounded worse than my other kit before amping. Don't use a portable amp either, I used the E17 and it sounded just as bad because it wasn't powerful enough. I use an NFB-10.2 myself now, sounds amazing.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #1,264 of 9,602
Quote:
Loving my Q701s the small time I have had to play with them.

Is anyone else that is running of straight computer audio or mixamp having a hell of a time trying to research and pick an amp for this headphone.
I would like something that I can run the mixamp off of plus my computer. I would like it to have a slightly more laided back sound with a touch more extension in the bass region.

So far all I have come up with is:

So you can see where I am at. I have done a way to much reading and it is all seemingly blurring together! Sometimes to much research can make you a tad insane.

Yep it's a pain to chose. I ended up just placing a "wanted in canada.." ad in the For Sale forum and got the first thing that was offered.

If you want a DAC/amp with an analog in, here's what I suggest:

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB16/NFB16EN.htm
But you have to get the external PSU too, because it makes all the difference: 
Code:
 Output power Only for headphone.  USB power supply : 80mW / 15 ohm External +18VDC power supply : 1300mW/25 ohm 360mW/100 ohm 120mW/300 ohm
It's a new design they just released, so they have a 20$ off special right now.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/540631/review-yulong-u100-compact-usb-dac-amp
http://www.head-fi.org/t/516993/review-matrix-cube-dac

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #1,265 of 9,602
The price for the NFB16 with the external power supply after shipping makes it, uhh not a worthwhile investment, IMHO. The power isn't anything special either. I'd look elsewhere. O_O

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #1,266 of 9,602
The "cube" look really interesting as it will do multi channel pass through and my mixamp has a rca coaxial input. My question is does it amplify the digital coaxial signal or does it just turn it into a dac at that point? Would this even be useful at this point?

Even though it will also power 300ohms will it power the Q701? I will have to read through that review thread and see if I can glean some info from it about the AKGs.

Thanks for throwing those extra choices into the mix. Hmm "cube" then m-stage down the road is a possibility too.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #1,270 of 9,602
Quote:
Loving my Q701s the small time I have had to play with them.

Is anyone else that is running of straight computer audio or mixamp having a hell of a time trying to research and pick an amp for this headphone.
I would like something that I can run the mixamp off of plus my computer. I would like it to have a slightly more laided back sound with a touch more extension in the bass region.

So far all I have come up with is:

1. Matrix Mstage: What opamp would I pair with this amp? Is the on/off driver pulsing a one off or is it happening to everyone? Does the USB version also have the analog inputs along side it. Website doesn't show the back as far as I know.

2. E9+E17/E10/E9: Which combo has the best synergy? Seems like the cheapest option to a Canadian.

3. Maverick D1: Has anyone heard anything about this with the Q701?

4. Objective2: I would order from Audio Poutine who is Canadian and does an O2 with the inputs and AC in the back of the unit. Is it to bright? Bright is the last thing I need from this headphone.

5. Little Dot 1+: Tubes would give me that warm sound but how many hours can I run this unit before it gets to hot and needs a cool down period?

6. AudioGD: NFB 5/10/12 All seem to have amazing reviews but no analog input which is a big nope for me.

7. Schiit Asgard: I have read this is an amazing pairing with Q/K series and I have read it is an awful pairing I am confused?

So you can see where I am at. I have done a way to much reading and it is all seemingly blurring together! Sometimes to much research can make you a tad insane.

There is one guy on Head Fi who compared the O2 with the M, he thought the O2 was too bright for the Q701.
He admitted he thought the O2 was super neutral, and he preferred a touch of darkness with the Q701 which is what the M Stage gave him.
His Head Fi name is "Kouzelna", you can look his stuff up on the Fi.

I second the LM4562 with the M!
biggrin.gif

Personally, I don't get a "WHUMP!" in my cans when I turn the M off, but to be honest, I always try to unplug my cans before I turn any head amp off. Just to be safe.......

And thanks for the tip about Audio Poutine! I'll have to remember those guys when I order my desktop O2, whatever it's called.  DO2?
confused.gif

You should be able to run the LD forever, but to maximize tube life, I would not run the LD when you are not using it.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,271 of 9,602
Quote:
Can you guys recommed me a portable amp for $125 that i use off my computer soundcard to improve my drive of these and see if i will like them, thanks.

Quote:
Don't do it, it'll sound awful. That's the mistake I made. Portables just don't have the power output these headphones need.

Well, if you have a crappy laptop soundcard like I do, then even a little DAC/Amp like the E10 will give worthwhile improvements (not exactly portable as it only pairs with a computer.  Not sure if there is an iBasso DAC/amp in that price range....

But ya, in the long run they really pair best with a desktop amp + DAC.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,272 of 9,602
Quote:

Well, if you have a crappy laptop soundcard like I do, then even a little DAC/Amp like the E10 will give worthwhile improvements (not exactly portable as it only pairs with a computer.  Not sure if there is an iBasso DAC/amp in that price range....

Chico, for the Q701, do you recommend the Bryston BHA-1?  LOL!  It is only $1300.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #1,273 of 9,602
Quote:

Crap covered in cheese is better than crap, but it's still crap either way.

The E17 I was using has the spec:
[size=8pt]   >250mW (16Ω Loaded ); [/size]
[size=8pt]   >30mW (300Ω Loaded)[/size]

But this isn't anywhere near enough for these headphones. So make sure whatever you pick is spec'd much higher than this.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #1,274 of 9,602
Quote:

There is one guy on Head Fi who compared the O2 with the M, he thought the O2 was too bright for the Q701.
He admitted he thought the O2 was super neutral, and he preferred a touch of darkness with the Q701 which is what the M Stage gave him.
His Head Fi name is "Kouzelna", you can look his stuff up on the Fi.

I second the LM4562 with the M!
biggrin.gif

Personally, I don't get a "WHUMP!" in my cans when I turn the M off, but to be honest, I always try to unplug my cans before I turn any head amp off. Just to be safe.......

And thanks for the tip about Audio Poutine! I'll have to remember those guys when I order my desktop O2, whatever it's called.  DO2?
confused.gif

You should be able to run the LD forever, but to maximize tube life, I would not run the LD when you are not using it.

Audio Poutine also does the ODAC separately from from the O2 they look amazing stacked together for such small units.

Can I order the M-Stage with the LM4562 installed or do I have to buy them separately. I am hoping to sit down later and get some reading done.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,275 of 9,602
Quote:

confused.gif

I could see a super neutral amp being a touch too bright with Q701.  I think I also like a touch of darkness.  (LOL, that sounds like a book).

Solid state amps don't vary that much, but I think I prefer ones that aren't "super neutral."

NwAvGuy's amp is going to be called ODA:  Objective Desktop Amp.  That's probably the only other amp I'm curious about trying.  I just hope he puts the HP jack on the front and everything else on the back of the amp. 
mad.gif

Quote:

Crap covered in cheese is better than crap, but it's still crap either way.

This sounds more like double amping a crappy soundcard.  The source is still crap.  Throwing in a nicer DAC in is a little better though. 

Polishing a turd would be like using a high end system while listening to crappy compressed music. 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Can I order the M-Stage with the LM4562 installed or do I have to buy them separately. I am hoping to sit down later and get some reading done.

Yes...but he Tam Audio overcharges for it, and you're not sure where he's getting them from.  I would buy it separate.  You can get it at Mouser  or ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back