Q701 impressions thread
Jun 22, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,276 of 9,603
Quote:

Chico, for the Q701, do you recommend the Bryston BHA-1?  LOL!  It is only $1300.
tongue_smile.gif

I think a 5/1 ratio of amp price/headphone price is generally a good place to start. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,277 of 9,603
I received my ODAC yesterday and I am using it with the m-stage and Q701s.  First off let me say that the clarity and detail I get from the ODAC is awesome.  It's so much clearer than my Auzentech Forte.  The upper-range of the treble is a mess on my Forte, on the ODAC it is detailed with great separation.  However, I do have a pretty big problem with the bass.  I lose a significant amount of bass when switching to the ODAC from my Forte.  

Now, I know some will say that is the way it is supposed to sound.  They will say that the Forte is coloring the sound.  That may be so, but I really love the bass on my Q701s through my Forte.  It has great definition and a nice rumble.  It extends deep.  

The ODAC tightens the bass up so much that it makes the Q701s sound anemic.  I never thought a DAC could change the character of the sound so much.

Has anyone else tried the ODAC with their Q701s yet?  

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,278 of 9,603
Ok recommened me a desk amp ? thats not to much money ?????

Mine sound very good out of my LD I+. Seriously. It's a punchy little sucker.

You should be able to run the LD forever, but to maximize tube life, I would not run the LD when you are not using it.

This. Good EF95 tubes aren't expensive, you can get black plate RCAs for $8 per pair on ebay, but the nicer sets of Voskhods are $40.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,280 of 9,603
Quote:
Do you guys think this will help drive my Q701s, i was thinking i could run from my X=FI Titanium HD to this amp, is this going to improve my driving of my cans ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiio-E17-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-Brand-New-/261050364648?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3cc7d072e8

That has a DAC built in, so you wouldn't need to even use your soundcard.

Or you can just use your soundcard and get a full desktop amp like the Fiio E9.

E9 is often under $110 on Amazon. Just don't use the small jack.

Despite what some say, I prefer a full desktop amp for the Q701. Using a portable amp just isn't the same..

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #1,281 of 9,603
Thanks for the E9, thats not a bad price, it dont have any bass boost.  I can just run a 3.5  jack out of my sound card to the 3.5 in on the E9 and im good to go ?, i do have a EQ on my soundcard, so the E9 should help me drive the sound, cause i dont like how my Q701s sound right now, there ok, but im not impressed, im hoping a amp will improve them.

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #1,282 of 9,603
Assuming you have a good soundcard, I'd hook up an amp to the rear, assuming it has an analog audio out. I wouldn't hook up an amp to a headphone jack unless its an absolute last resort.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,284 of 9,603
Quote:
Thanks for the E9, thats not a bad price, it dont have any bass boost.  I can just run a 3.5  jack out of my sound card to the 3.5 in on the E9 and im good to go ?, i do have a EQ on my soundcard, so the E9 should help me drive the sound, cause i dont like how my Q701s sound right now, there ok, but im not impressed, im hoping a amp will improve them.

My laptop has a crappy soundcard, and I found that running from the soundcards HP jack to the E9's input didn't improve the sound as much as just using an E10 by itself.  This is because the soundcard was bottlenecking what the E9 could do.  The souncards HP jack was a lousy source for an amp like the E9.  The E10 was a much better source for it.

I'm don't know much about soundcards or how good the one you have is though, it may be fine...

What don't you like about the Q701s sound?  Adding more gear will just improve the sound, but not change it drastically if you don't like it. 

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #1,285 of 9,603
Quote:
I'm honestly finding the Q701 is sounding incredibly similar to the PX100-II.
PX100-II being smoother and a bit thicker in sound. Q701 is slightly more fatiguing.

PX 100 II is amazingly thick and punchy for being such a tiny portable headphone of its size.  That graph looks about right though.  They definitely diverge from one another moving towards the high frequencies.  PX 100 II gets pretty dark.  I can't handle that much darkness.
ph34r.gif

Of course the Q701 crushes the PX100 II on soundstage.  If the PX 100 II were brighter, had a little better soundstage, and rotated a bit more (the pads didn't angle enough  to rest on my ears evenly
frown.gif
),  I probably would have kept the them.  Sennheiser: take note for the PX 100 III
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #1,286 of 9,603
Well i have a X-FI Titanium HD soundcard, you cant get much better,its top of the line as far as computer soundcards go.  I may not being hearing the full potential of the Q701s, but the highs seem tinty, they kind of hurt my ears on some songs, the bass is not bad, the mids are decent, its hard for me to describe.   Like i said im kinda new to cans, this is my third pair, im not sure a amp is going to make me want to keep these, but then again i have never used a amp before.  I have listened to some songs that sounded pretty darn good, but most songs i listen to just dont seem alive, its a plain sound to me.

Alot of people say its a kinda neutral sound, so maybe i need a slightly enhanced sound, i loved the sound of the K550s, i didnt like them at first, but they changed and was falling in love with them.  I had to take them back due lousy fit, bad seal, the would fall right off my head, such a shame, the Q701s i love the fit and comfort.  I see im going to need a amp regardless of what cans i end up keeping, i can see these cans are hard to drive, the K550s would blow my eardrums out if i turned them up enough, where these i can turn full blast and its not enough.  I think im leaning toward the Denon 2ks, but im going to get a amp and give these more of a shot.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #1,287 of 9,603
Quote:
PX 100 II is amazingly thick and punchy for being such a tiny portable headphone of its size.  That graph looks about right though.  They definitely diverge from one another moving towards the high frequencies.  PX 100 II gets pretty dark.  I can't handle that much darkness.
ph34r.gif

Of course the Q701 crushes the PX100 II on soundstage.  If the PX 100 II were brighter, had a little better soundstage, and rotated a bit more (the pads didn't angle enough  to rest on my ears evenly
frown.gif
),  I probably would have kept the them.  Sennheiser: take note for the PX 100 III
wink.gif

Surprisingly, that is where I disagree with the graph. To me, the PX100-II actually sounds to have a treble peak somewhere, even in comparison to the HD600. Doesn't make too much sense looking at the graph below, but perhaps it has something to do with it's design, position on ears, source, etc. Q701 doesn't sound all that much brighter though, in fact, the difference is relatively small. I find the Q701 has a tad bit more zing to the treble, in which I don't find all that appealing. Of course, that's in direct comparison, and I'm okay with it either way. But up until treble, they sound pretty much the same.

I do find it weird however, that the PX100-II has a very nice spaciousness to it. Again, possibly due to design and other factors. That said, I actually don't find the Q701 to be that much more spacious when it comes to most of the music I've been testing. With gaming and positional accuracy, it's probably another story, but for music I'm finding both to have a nice, wide side. Perhaps I'm finding the PX100-II to extend very far width wise, while it can't quite do other dimensions as good as the Q701. I'll have to compare them some more, but I'm finding the PX100-II is doing quite well in that regard, personally.

Ooh, the PX100-III? I'd totally get it!
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #1,288 of 9,603
By those graphs, I'd avoid the PX100-II like the bubonic plague. Way too dark going by those graphs, and if there's anything that can be said about most Senns, is that they tend to go to the darkside, quite a bit more than I'd prefer. The Q701 is fine in the treble range for me. Any smoother, and I'd probably hate them.

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #1,289 of 9,603
Quote:
Well i have a X-FI Titanium HD soundcard, you cant get much better,its top of the line as far as computer soundcards go.  I may not being hearing the full potential of the Q701s, but the highs seem tinty, they kind of hurt my ears on some songs, the bass is not bad, the mids are decent, its hard for me to describe.   Like i said im kinda new to cans, this is my third pair, im not sure a amp is going to make me want to keep these, but then again i have never used a amp before.  I have listened to some songs that sounded pretty darn good, but most songs i listen to just dont seem alive, its a plain sound to me.

Alot of people say its a kinda neutral sound, so maybe i need a slightly enhanced sound, i loved the sound of the K550s, I didn't like them at first, but they changed and was falling in love with them.  I had to take them back due lousy fit, bad seal, the would fall right off my head, such a shame, the Q701s i love the fit and comfort.  I see I'm going to need a amp regardless of what cans i end up keeping, i can see these cans are hard to drive, the K550s would blow my eardrums out if i turned them up enough, where these i can turn full blast and its not enough.  I think I'm leaning toward the Denon 2ks, but im going to get a amp and give these more of a shot.

The Creative T-HD (Titanium HD) does not come with a true headphone amplifier, but does a decent job of driving headphones.
As the Q701s are 55-Ohm, a solid state or hybrid amplifier should improve the sound.
I've heard good thing said about pairing the AKG Q701 with the Little Dot 1 + Hybrid.
Just plug the Little Dot 1+ Hybrid into the T-HDs RCA outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back