Q701 impressions thread
Apr 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,081 of 9,602

Quote:
You don't just convert your cable.  You have to change the wiring in the left cup so you get four conductors out of the headphone that will connect to the four pins of a balanced output.  Currently, L- and R- are soldered to the same post and that goes to the 3-pin male mini-XLR that you plug the stock cable to.

In terms of options, there are:
1. four wires out of the left cup to the end of your lead, i.e. hard wired single entry with no detachable cable
2. four wires from the left cup to 4-pin mini-XLR to four conductor cable as seen in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/483861/guide-balanced-akg-k702-with-detachable-4-pin-mini-xlr-cable
3. dual entry (either hard-wired or detachable)

The second option is the one I did.  They're all simple, but I wouldn't call them easy, especially dealing with the 4-pin male connector retrofit.

Did you notice much of a difference when amping your q701s from a balanced amp?

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,082 of 9,602

Quote:
Did you notice much of a difference when amping your q701s from a balanced amp?

I described it very briefly here, and perhaps some other places too, like maybe the NFB-10SE thread.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #1,083 of 9,602

Quote:

I described it very briefly here, and perhaps some other places too, like maybe the NFB-10SE thread.

It sounds like it is definitely worth doing with the heaphones/amp combo then!

My cans are pretty new so I am a little scared to cut them up just yet :p

I think I might go for the cable out of the headphones rather than replacing the 3pin XLR for a 4 pin. That method just seems so fiddly.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,084 of 9,602
I thought the K702 and Q701 sounded abysmal on the E9. The sound was muddy and ill defined. 

You should try and snag a V200 and try it out on it though. You'd be really surprised how excellent both headphone sound on this amp.

Quote:
Tried the Q701 today with just a Sansa Clip to Fiio E11. Sounds pretty good. Not thin or harsh and didn't lack any of it's warmth. Now, I didn't analyze it for very long, but seems perfectly acceptable for when around the house, or on the train or your Segway.
I still think the Airhead is way better for the HD-600 and Q701, but it's $100 and not good for very low impedance headphones, like IEMs. Does a fine job of driving the HD-600 and HD-650!

Of course as a main amp for the K702, the E9 is way better than any of the Fiio portable amps. Buying the E11 for a Q701 over the E9 is a complete fail IMO
biggrin.gif

Can't say it enough, but i'm tired of people spreading this idea that the E9 has such a high output impedance that it would hurt the Q701's signature. It doesn't at all..Just have to use the large jack.

BTW I tried the Sansa Fuze via LOD cable to E11 for the Q701 and didn't like it. Seems a bit harsh and fatiguing. Didn't try it for long, so I need to try it again. Maybe the Q701 likes the extra power from the amp of the Clip (since it doesn't have a line out).

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,085 of 9,602

Quote:
I thought the K702 and Q701 sounded abysmal on the E9. The sound was muddy and ill defined. 

You should try and snag a V200 and try it out on it though. You'd be really surprised how excellent both headphone sound on this amp.

Yeah, i'll pick one of those up on the way to the dollar store. Only about $999. You think i'm made of money?
biggrin.gif

The E9 is only $120 so I think it's not that bad as a starter ultra low budget amp for the E9. I would much rather suggest this over a portable amp.
Is there any other under $150 full sized desktop amps that drive the Q701? Maybe LD 1+ ($110). By the time you have that shipped it's up to around $150.

I liked the Q701 with the E9, but when I got the Headroom Micro Amp, it was even better. I prefer the Q701 with that over the Asgard and E9.
I plan on buying the Matrix M-Stage this year, but most likely it will be only a side-grade. Micro Amp uses the same op-amps etc.

What's funny is that the E9, Micro Amp and M-Stage all use the same op-amps, but probably couldn't sound any more different!
Basically the sound of the Q701 is perfect for me out of the Micro Amp, so I don't really require it to sound much different or any warmer. Did a good job with the K501 too.

I think my limit on amps is about $350. For headphones about $400. Despite having a ton of headphones i'm not as serious about music as some of the people here.

I think when I upgrade my amp (not that I really feel the need to) it will be the M-Stage or Schiit Lyr. I'm worried about them not playing well with BOTH my HD-600 and Q701.

I need to figure out the difference in sound between the Asgard and Lyr for the K702/Q701. If it's a similar signature on the Lyr as the Asgard, then I won't like it.

I actually prefer the K702 with the E9 over the Asgard. Talk about weird..never tried the Q701 with the Asgard.

Asgard gave me issues with the ATH-AD2000 and K601, but sounded amazing with the HD-600 and D2000.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #1,086 of 9,602
I didn't say you had to buy one. Maybe Robert of Aphrodite Cu29 would give you one to review?

If you are interested, I can send you my X-CANV8P to try the Q701 on. I'll cover the shipping there and you just cover the return shipping?

Quote:
Yeah, i'll pick one of those up on the way to the dollar store. Only about $999. You think i'm made of money?
biggrin.gif

The E9 is only $120 so I think it's not that bad as a starter ultra low budget amp for the E9. I would much rather suggest this over a portable amp.
Is there any other under $150 full sized desktop amps that drive the Q701? Maybe LD 1+ ($110). By the time you have that shipped it's up to around $150.

I liked the Q701 with the E9, but when I got the Headroom Micro Amp, it was even better. I prefer the Q701 with that over the Asgard and E9.
I plan on buying the Matrix M-Stage this year, but most likely it will be only a side-grade. Micro Amp uses the same op-amps etc.

What's funny is that the E9, Micro Amp and M-Stage all use the same op-amps, but probably couldn't sound any more different!
Basically the sound of the Q701 is perfect for me out of the Micro Amp, so I don't really require it to sound much different or any warmer. Did a good job with the K501 too.

I think my limit on amps is about $350. For headphones about $400. Despite having a ton of headphones i'm not as serious about music as some of the people here.

I think when I upgrade my amp (not that I really feel the need to) it will be the M-Stage or Schiit Lyr. I'm worried about them not playing well with BOTH my HD-600 and Q701.

I need to figure out the difference in sound between the Asgard and Lyr for the K702/Q701. If it's a similar signature on the Lyr as the Asgard, then I won't like it.

I actually prefer the K702 with the E9 over the Asgard. Talk about weird..never tried the Q701 with the Asgard.

Asgard gave me issues with the ATH-AD2000 and K601, but sounded amazing with the HD-600 and D2000.

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #1,087 of 9,602
Did you ever consider the O2? I couldn't be happier with it with a 'friend or foe' modded k702. I prefer it over my previous amp, the LD mkV which sold for $300 new and got tons of good reviews. I honestly think the O2 is a better amp....and it's like 1/5 the size....or less. It's supposed to be basically a 'straight wire with gain' amp, so no color....just dead on accurate. One guy in the amp forum compared it favorably to his GS1, and claimed in most instances he would have a hard time telling them apart, hard as that may be to believe.
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #1,088 of 9,602

Quote:
Did you ever consider the O2? I couldn't be happier with it with a 'friend or foe' modded k702. I prefer it over my previous amp, the LD mkV which sold for $300 new and got tons of good reviews. I honestly think the O2 is a better amp....and it's like 1/5 the size....or less. It's supposed to be basically a 'straight wire with gain' amp, so no color....just dead on accurate. One guy in the amp forum compared it favorably to his GS1, and claimed in most instances he would have a hard time telling them apart, hard as that may be to believe.

I've thought of that for use with my DJ100 and to use as a reference for comparing to other amps. Maybe the E9 isn't as neutral or as uncolored as people say it is. I hope it is. Some say the E9 is kind of warm sounding, but i'm just not hearing that..

I keep forgetting about the O2 as a suggestion for a budget amp. I'd have to hear it first before suggesting it, but it's something to check into for those wanting a budget amp for the Q701.

Hopefully sometime i'll hear someone who's tried my favorite DJ100 with it.

I'll admit I think i'd like some slight coloration for the Q701 despite it's warmth it already has with almost any amp.

On the E9 the soundstage with the Q701 and ALL my headphones seems larger than it should be. I don't know how this is possible or some sort of weird coloration! It'll be interesting to hear if the Q701 has a massive soundstage like on the E9 with the O2. Actually it's not too massive with the E9, but larger than on any other amp i've tried (again with other headphones too). Still fairly accurate.

I think for my HD-580/600 i'd love a completely uncolored amp. I don't need the HD-600 any warmer or bassier than it already is!

May 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,089 of 9,602
I have some concerns. I purchased a pair of Q701's the other week and thought they sounded good, but... not as I expected. I'm currently using an E17 DAC/AMP (USB powered portable) and I'm wondering if this is the cause.

I just plugged my Sennheiser 448's in to test them (unrelated) and realised they sound better than the Q701's. So on this worrying note I pulled my HD 580's back out and sure enough they were a large improvement. The Q701's sound almost disant and hollow (not echo'y, just very lacking in everything) not in the extreme but certainly not what I'd expect from headphones of this price. The sound is also far less defined than I would expect (especially after all the reviews and comments of what these headphones are normally like).

So yeah, is this likely to be because the Amp simply can't drive them as well as they really need to work properly? (I have a NFB-10SE en route so I'll be able to see for myself soon).

May 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #1,090 of 9,602
Quote:
I have some concerns. I purchased a pair of Q701's the other week and thought they sounded good, but... not as I expected.

So yeah, is this likely to be because the Amp simply can't drive them as well as they really need to work properly? (I have a NFB-10SE en route so I'll be able to see for myself soon).

An amp won't change their sound that much.  If you don't like them, it won't fix that.

It sounds like you may not like the soundstage.  Q701s can space sounds out pretty far.

May 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #1,091 of 9,602
That doesn't seem to be what's happening though, everything is actually pretty blurred together to be honest. I guess it's hard to explain really, it may be that I'm really not used to them yet, but we'll see.

May 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #1,092 of 9,602
Quote:
I have some concerns. I purchased a pair of Q701's the other week and thought they sounded good, but... not as I expected. I'm currently using an E17 DAC/AMP (USB powered portable) and I'm wondering if this is the cause.

I just plugged my Sennheiser 448's in to test them (unrelated) and realised they sound better than the Q701's. So on this worrying note I pulled my HD 580's back out and sure enough they were a large improvement. The Q701's sound almost disant and hollow (not echo'y, just very lacking in everything) not in the extreme but certainly not what I'd expect from headphones of this price. The sound is also far less defined than I would expect (especially after all the reviews and comments of what these headphones are normally like).

That's the thing with "higher end" headphones.  After reading all the hyped reviews (lets face it, all reviews are full of over-exaggerations) people think that they will sound SOOOOO much better than some 100-150 pair of headphones, but reality is, sadly, different. I have HD438's (which are basically identical to 448's), which are decent and very very good sounding headphones for 100-150 dollars. Q701's do sound better, but its not a big difference in the level of quality. Its only a difference in how the sound is presented, meaning there's nothing I can hear on Q701 that I can't hear on HD438's. 438's even have a surprisingly good soundstage for closed headphones too.

Also, one thing to note,  Q701 are not one of those headphones that will impress you at first. Their performance will usually leave most people underwhelmed, especially if you're used to full sounding headphones.

May 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #1,093 of 9,602
True, I'm also likely very used to my Senn HD580's as they will be 10 years old in December this year, haha. But yeah, I think I need the amp for the Q701's, this portable amp needs to be turned up further to drive them than any of my other headphones (even the 300Ohm 580's) and I'm sure I'm hearing distortion at times (when loud, but not overly loud).

May 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,094 of 9,602
Quote:

What genres of music do you listen to?

I've had my Q701 for a few weeks now. I mostly listen to Rock and Metal. I am starting to believe the Q701 just don't work for those genres.

May 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #1,095 of 9,602
Here is what I enjoy on the Q's:

Roots - their recordings are really good especially the "Undun", the Qs pick up on a lot of details and the soundstage is just right
Black Keys - since I got the M-stage I've been listening to all their albums before that not so much, it could be that the amp makes it a bit warmer and more forgiving ??
Alice In Chains - their albums especially the Mtv unplugged session sounds awesome I could listen to it all day long ...
Amy Winehouse - female vocals like Amy's, Alicia's or Adelle sound great on these headphones
BB King - all the live recordings sound very natural and the detail is really good for blues 
Dave Mathews - again live recordings that I have acquired sound really good and the soundstage doesnt seem to spaced out like some say on this forum
Fleetwood Mac - "Roumours" is a very good recording and the detail that these cans pickup are amazing, also I like their recordings a lot 
Tiesto - I know I listen to a lot of different music .... these cans pickup sounds in house and other electronic music that I've never heard before, its very enjoyable
Imogen Heap - female vocals again but a little bit different genre it still sounds great 
Kaskade - one of my favorite genres and it also sounds really good with Qs
Massive Attack - the low base on these recordings brings out all the base you will ever need with any type of headphones, no distortion or drops in lower frequency
Pink Floyd - "The Wall" and "The Dark side of the Moon" are considered to be one of the best recordings and Qs sound great with this genre 
Radio Head - not a big fan of Radio Head but some of their recordings sound pretty good and some dont I guess it depends on the sound engineers involved 
Skrillex - some might think that this kind of music would be a pain to listen to on these headphones but his recordings to my suprize are very good quality and listening    does not cause me any type of fatigue  
System of a Down - my favorite band of all times, sorry to say that but their recordings are not high quality, even though Q's bring out alot of details that other cans dont

So that would be my summary of types of music I like to listen to on Q701s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back