Q701 impressions thread
Mar 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #661 of 9,602
I've heard that the Lyr and the Q701 are supposed to be a match made in heaven, and I can't wait to hear your impressions, hopefully.

I've heard that too. I'd be happy to report back. Hopefully the comparison with the HD 650s will give me a good point of reference. I'm pretty psyched on the whole thing.

Should have something up by Fri at the very latest.

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #664 of 9,602

Quote:

But, everything I mentioned can probably be sorted with a more powerful slightly darker sounding SS amp with smaller output impedance.

If that is what you are looking for then try the Matrix M Stage headphone amp.
beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #666 of 9,602
Mints!

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #667 of 9,602
Damn, I was planning on moving from some D2000s (overpowering bass, recessed mids, artificial highs) I didn't like to these, but I didn't have the money last night for them on sale at Amazon for 250. And now that sale is over, they are back up to 400. Anyone know of a place to get them for 250? Some of the other ones on amazon are like 270-280 which isn't awful until you factor in tax and shipping, and then it is over what I can afford if I need an amp to drive these.

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #668 of 9,602
LordWormwood... Cool Altoid case mod. What do you have in it?

Thanks Enormo,
They are [u=http://www.jdslabs.com/] JD Labs Bass Booster[/u] - which I bought about two years ago. I am aiming to send them back for minor mod to tailor the amp to the Q701 & have the recharging unit installed. Thinking that I might get a second tin done for my SE215... as you really don't want to bump the pot when wearing them coupled to the Altoids. For that I might track down some Honey Altoids - yellow strips seem to mesh with my clear ones.

As for the Q701 I have had all of half an hour to listen to them - I am mildly impressed, I say mildly due to the fact I really haven't had the time to pause and Listen as of yet. Once I do I am sure that they will shift very impressed. I am amazed at their weight or lack of as I have come from the AD700 which are not heavey but large and bulky with a comfy but loose fit. Not that I would goove the streets in the Q701s but I do think that they would stay right and propper.

Cheers once more for this thread and making me $268AUD poorer.

Wormwood

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #669 of 9,602
I just read another post telling me that my soundcard (HT Omega Claro II) wouldn't be a good enough DAC for these headphones, and another saying they would. I'm lost now, anyone have any experience using higher end soundcards (same DAC as the Auzentech Prelude, but different opamps and sound processor) and an amp (planning on building an O2) with these? I was planning on getting the ODAC if it is a big upgrade and is good, but if my source isn't up to par can anyone reccomend me any good ones? I don't have much money, maybe 250-300 and I don't want to spend it if I'm not going to see a huge leap in quality over my soundcard DAC. Should I be looking for a different pair of headphones, or am I being lead astray from these for no reason?

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #670 of 9,602
I mentioned before that I picked the black Q701 because I wouldn't have preferred a K701 over the white Q701 aesthetically.  Lord Wormwood's pictures are making me wrong.

The white ones remind me of stormtroopers and Macross, and perhaps a few other things that people my age geek out about.  I definitely wouldn't mind having those around the house.

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #671 of 9,602

Quote:
I just read another post telling me that my soundcard (HT Omega Claro II) wouldn't be a good enough DAC for these headphones, and another saying they would. I'm lost now, anyone have any experience using higher end soundcards (same DAC as the Auzentech Prelude, but different opamps and sound processor) and an amp (planning on building an O2) with these? I was planning on getting the ODAC if it is a big upgrade and is good, but if my source isn't up to par can anyone reccomend me any good ones? I don't have much money, maybe 250-300 and I don't want to spend it if I'm not going to see a huge leap in quality over my soundcard DAC. Should I be looking for a different pair of headphones, or am I being lead astray from these for no reason?

Well you can just get the Asus Xonar Essence ST and get done with it.  Its sort of a consensus among those who tried it that its the best sound card for music listening, AND it has a more than powerful enough amp in it to power Q701's.  Its not the best sounding amp, but it sure beats those entry level 150-200 dollars standalone ones.  And DAC in it is as I said, the best of all sound cards, and you won't find a standalone DAC for 300$ that will sound quite as good.

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #672 of 9,602
Yeah, the ST has been appealing, I was thinking about selling my Claro for one. But I just like what I've read of the O2 amp's clean transparent sound and wide compatibility with headphones, though I haven't read if it works well with the Q701s. I don't see why not though. Plus, I was looking to move away from soundcards since I only do stereo and the ODAC is coming out next month and will hopefully be as good as the O2. I just wish I knew of somewhere to audition headphones and things like this, but I don't even know where to begin to look. I've googled audio stores and all the ones I've found only sell crappy mainstream headphones like the Beats and stuff.

Quote:
Well you can just get the Asus Xonar Essence ST and get done with it.  Its sort of a consensus among those who tried it that its the best sound card for music listening, AND it has a more than powerful enough amp in it to power Q701's.  Its not the best sounding amp, but it sure beats those entry level 150-200 dollars standalone ones.  And DAC in it is as I said, the best of all sound cards, and you won't find a standalone DAC for 300$ that will sound quite as good.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #673 of 9,602
I found the match for Qs!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so this is my current setup Xonar DG(optical out) -> Audioengine D1 (DAC) -> Pioneer RX-521 ...... WOW!!!!
B.B. King & Eric Clapton Live has the biggest, most accurate soundstage I have ever heard on these headphones.
The Pioneer is an all-in-one stack sold in 80s that I doug out of my basement just to see how it can run these cans. 
Here it is:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back